funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23924

Just terrible..damnit..RIP Roy

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Wonder how many times he flew over the Gulf. Just makes no sense to risk that. Did no one tell the man, fck. He loved his plane, and probably died peacefully at least. I guess. Sorry for his family.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

I can attest that those risky dinky kit planes- about $30k, crash all the time. One crashed on my street in Cape Coral here in July. Just fell out of the sky. Pilot walked away thou

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

One of his last tweets...

I keep telling my dad flying the Icon A5 low over the water is like flying a fighter jet! His response..... I am flying a fighter jet!!

Some dude responded to him to be safe. I hate to speculate, but man, this just comes off as wreckless.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

RIP sir

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Those little planes always crash.. Look how many times Harrison Ford got lucky.... Cessna's aren't bullet proof that's for sure.. Big gust of wind and those little airplanes can get grounded in a hurry... I don't trust them mechanically either... Jet planes or bust I say...
    sounds like this thing has the equivalent of a briggs n stratton engine in it, kinda like an ultra lite on roids.....

cessna helluva lot more quality.....

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

I tell ya what, after I ran out there to see how this and light that was, I would never get in one.

I've got a few tennis buddies who fly recreationally and their planes are single engine shit boxes from the late 60s. Guys are insane.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

RIP doc

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6201

One of the great pitchers rest in peace Roy

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    I tell ya what, after I ran out there to see how this and light that was, I would never get in one.

I've got a few tennis buddies who fly recreationally and their planes are single engine shit boxes from the late 60s. Guys are insane.
    Don't know a thing about planes, but his looks like a gust would send it down before even knowing what happened. Especially since he liked to be going over the water.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11790

Man was ment to stand on solid ground.. Flying are for birds... I'm out on that for a hobby... I don't like heights period...

Cuse0323

Man was ment to stand on solid ground.. Flying are for birds... I'm out on that for a hobby... I don't like heights period...
    Heights terrify me. I feel like a bitch. Well I am according to some. Have nightmares of falling daily, while I'm on the ground. Helps when you're hung over a cliff Michael Jackson style as a kid.

It seems too easy to get a pilots license sometimes. You got Harrison Ford crashing all over. Roy flying this little thing over the damn Gulf. Random people crashing these little planes all over. Almost like rich fools that buy Lambos, etc. and have no clue how to handle it.

Anyway, RIP. Would think he makes the HOF, and not because of this. Poor kids of his.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7624

Wow. Deeply saddening

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 350

Terrible news.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20385

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    How many baseball players have died in plane crashes??
    Well, Jose Fernandez was high when he died.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11790

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    Heights terrify me. I feel like a bitch. Well I am according to some. Have nightmares of falling daily, while I'm on the ground. Helps when you're hung over a cliff Michael Jackson style as a kid.

It seems too easy to get a pilots license sometimes. You got Harrison Ford crashing all over. Roy flying this little thing over the damn Gulf. Random people crashing these little planes all over. Almost like rich fools that buy Lambos, etc. and have no clue how to handle it.

Anyway, RIP. Would think he makes the HOF, and not because of this. Poor kids of his.
    It's not a fear of heights it's a fear of falling.. Yep, I get scketchy when looking over tall buildings, climbing 2 story ladders, etc.. I just don't like heights.. I can do it but I don't like it..

Slipknot26
    Slipknot26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1575

Just seen this , he was one of the best .. Sucks, he was still young , maybe 40 or so ?
    RIP

Cuse0323

It's not a fear of heights it's a fear of falling.. Yep, I get scketchy when looking over tall buildings, climbing 2 story ladders, etc.. I just don't like heights.. I can do it but I don't like it..
    Yeah, exactly. It's the falling. I can't do escalators, or anything with a ledge. Can't go to the mall anymore. Can't walk across small bridges, but in a car it's fine. Planes don't bug me either. It's being out in a spot where I think I can fall. Vertigo, and all that fun stuff.

Slipknot26
    Slipknot26's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1575

Fukk flying , drive everywhere .
    Last flight I was on was 2009 coming back from Canada , hit an air pocket in a thunderstorm , started dropping out of the sky then finally caught .
    Dear God , oxygen tank broke through the rear Cabin , shit thrown everywhere. I haven't been on one since .
    Hell to the nah

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20385

It's not the fall that will kill you. It's the sudden stop.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Very sad.

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

From what I've read this plane is supposed to have special features that basically won't allow it to stall. It'll be interesting to hear the cause. It was their 2018 model, Roy got the very first one - just 3 weeks ago. There's a video of him getting it with his wife. She said that initially she fought against him pretty hard to not get it. Terrible news, the fact that she seemed to be so against it at first makes it even worse.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

I would imagine the company gave Roy the model for free, in return for him doing his social media tweet storm promoting the thing along with other vids ect.

pretty HUGH backfire from a marketing stand point now

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10428

RIP sir.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

The Icon A5 crashed in May as well killing the lead engineer

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/icon-a...lead-engineer/

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    How many baseball players have died in plane crashes??
    Off the top of my head - Clemente, Munson (pilot) and Corey Lidle (pilot)

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

RIP

bhoor
    bhoor's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3668

His father was a commercial pilot. Poor decisions by these multi-millionaires led to their death. A decent Bombardier plane that can have 30+ seats you could buy it for $10m.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

thoughts and prayers

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10250

Sad news.
    RIP

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

John Denver died Oct. 1997. Almost exactly 20 years ago. Same type airplane flying over water. Crashed in the Pacific.

19th Hole

Quote Originally Posted by unluckysob View Post
    John Denver died Oct. 1997. Almost exactly 20 years ago. Same type airplane flying over water. Crashed in the Pacific.
    WTF
    Icarus died November 7, 60 BC. Almost exactly 2000 years ago. On wax wings that his father, Daedalas, fashioned icarus soared toward the sun.
    Long story short...the wax melted and Icarus fell to the sea where he drowned.
    Serendipity?? I think not.

19th Hole

Plane Roy Halladay was flying a 'Jet Ski with wings'

It’s a Jet Ski with wings, a high-performance sport aircraft that has now been involved in three crashes, two fatal, in the last eight months. That’s how veteran aviation journalist Stephen Pope described the ICON A5, the plane Roy Halladay was flying when he crashed into the Gulf of Mexico and died on Tuesday.
    “The way people see it, it’s a toy,” said Pope, editor-in-chief of Flying Magazine. “They see it as a pleasure craft, used for flying on water, which it seems what Roy was doing. It’s to play around in and have some fun.”
    Upon first glance, the ICON A5 is sleek and sporty, and the concept behind it is immediately enticing, especially if you’re a flying enthusiast with $389,000 to burn. It’s amphibious, its wings fold up and the cockpit mimics that of a sports car. It’s absolutely perfect to roll out of the garage, haul to the nearest boat launch, hop in and take off for a joy ride.
    Over the course of the last few years, production of the aircraft experienced several delays, but according to Pope, reviews have been positive since the A5 arrived. It’s easy to fly, it has a no-stall wing design which the FAA was complimentary of and, Pope says, it’s designed to be a safe airplane.
    “Every pilot I’ve talked to said it’s a really good airplane,” he said.

View photos

The ICON A5 sports aircraft comes at a cost of $389,000. (AP)
    More

There is, however, one criticism, which goes back to that Jet-Ski-with-wings description. It’s one thing to rip around on a jet ski and get tossed, another to hover over water at a high rate of speed (the ICON A5 tops out at 121 mph) in a flying object, which is exactly what the ICON A5 is shown doing in at least one demo video.
    “It’s a very new design,” said Pope, “but what we know about the airplane is, the plane is safe, but marketing the airplane designed to be a flying toy … seems like a recipe for disaster.”
    For Halladay, whose father was a pilot, owning a plane was apparently a dream come true, for during his playing days he said he wasn’t allowed to get his pilot’s license. He retired from baseball after the 2013 season and, according to a post on his Twitter page, got his pilot’s license in April 2014.
    He took ownership of the ICON A5 on Oct. 12, less than four weeks ago, receiving from the company plane number “01 out of 100 Founders Edition.” Since then, he tweeted about flying the plane five times, including this on Oct. 31:
    “I keep telling my dad flying the ICON A5 low over the water is like flying a fighter jet!”
    According to ICON Aircraft, there are 23 A5 in production. Three have crashed in 2017. Of those, two have been fatal. On April 1, a pilot and passenger were uninjured after suffering a hard crash on the water near Miami. On May 8, two ICON employees were killed when the pilot veered into a canyon in northern California with a plan to “conduct water maneuvers.” The National Transportation Safety Board determined pilot error – the pilot mistakenly entered the wrong canyon with no exit and was unable to perform a necessary 180-degree turn – as the cause of the accident. The third is Roy Halladay, who was 40.
    “[Three crashes] is something that will raise eyebrows in the aviation community and surely … the FAA,” Pope said.
    ICON Aircraft released the following statement Tuesday evening: “We were devastated to learn that former MLB pitcher Roy Halladay died today in an accident involving an ICON A5 in the Gulf of Mexico. We have gotten to know Roy and his family in recent months, and he was a great advocate and friend of ours. The entire ICON community would like to pass on our deepest condolences to Roy’s family and friends. ICON will do everything it can to support the accident investigation going forward and we will comment further when more information is available.”

View photos

A search and rescue team circles a crash site where Roy Halladay’s plane crashed in the Gulf of Mexico. (AP)

First 123 Last