dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Fedor Emelianenko: Explain his fall

Are octagon rules bad for him? Did he age poorly? Are fighters just a lot better these days? Was he just lucky for awhile?

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11802

He got old (40) and his chin deteriorated along with his reflexes.. It happens.. He's done in MMA as it's a young mans sport..
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave JIBBBY 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

NUTSonYAchin
    NUTSonYAchin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

he got old/thread

turbozed
    turbozed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

The man got old and stopped training. Fighters are a little better nowadays but HW usually has more parity (anybody can win). This makes his winning streak at HW so impressive. To win for so long, he had to be lucky. But he was also really really good. Certainly the most dominant HW ever.

Wohlford
    Wohlford's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Age and miles.

For a heavyweight, he's on the small side, which makes the age curve extra severe for him.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by turbozed View Post
    The man got old and stopped training. Fighters are a little better nowadays but HW usually has more parity (anybody can win). This makes his winning streak at HW so impressive. To win for so long, he had to be lucky. But he was also really really good. Certainly the most dominant HW ever.
    He always avoided fighting the top HW's and the UFC.. He was always beating average opponents at best IMO.. I don't think he's the best ever because he was never tested by the best in the UFC... I think he was always overrated.. Has the looping right and times it well and a decent ground game but nothing special... A good HW but not great.. Undersized as well..

Fedor should retire now.. His chin is shot to hell...

Even older fighters like Hendo beat him

Last edited by JIBBBY; 06-26-17 at 05:21 PM.

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Quote Originally Posted by NUTSonYAchin View Post
    he got old/thread
    But in his first 3 legitimate losses he was less than 1 year older (Werdum), just under 3 years older (Antonio Silva), and just over 6 years younger (Henderson) than his opponent. Then in his most recent loss against Mitrione he was under 2 years older.

Just age doesn't explain it IMO

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

I always wondered about a lot of the Pride guys who just seemed so dominant and then kind of fell apart once the UFC bought the promotion.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

Yup, Fedor, Wanderlei and BJ Penn all looked like shit this weekend. Legends need to hang it up already

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    Yup, Fedor, Wanderlei and BJ Penn all looked like shit this weekend. Legends need to hang it up already
    Yup, those 3 guys are washed up and should hang it up for good..

Or maybe go sign with Bellator where the talent pool drops off compared to the UFC.. No so sure any of those guys could pick up wins now even in Bellator though.. Bellator is picking up all the UFC leftovers and few of the guys signed still have it.. Guys like Lima, Rory Mac and Chandler could easily be fighting in the UFC today and be picking up wins....

Demonata
    Demonata's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5361

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    He got old (40) and his chin deteriorated along with his reflexes.. It happens.. He's done in MMA as it's a young mans sport..
    Actually for heavyweights to me age doesn't really matter. It's usually the older fighters that are in it. Usuallly late 30s early 40s. That fight could of gone either way. Matt mitrione is not young lol.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Demonata View Post
    Actually for heavyweights to me age doesn't really matter. It's usually the older fighters that are in it. Usuallly late 30s early 40s. That fight could of gone either way. Matt mitrione is not young lol.
    Younger then Fedor at 38.. Mitrione is not that good and on the decline now I think.. He got dropped in each of his last 2 fights, came back from the grave in the fight before Fedor and even Fedor dropped Meat Head at the same time he got dropped..

Some Heavyweights or freaks of nature like Dan Henderson can pull it off though I agree.
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 06-26-17 at 08:23 PM.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

Got Jinxed by coochy

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Younger then Fedor at 38.. Mitrione is not that good and on the decline now I think.. He got dropped in each of his last 2 fights, came back from the grave in the fight before Fedor and even Fedor dropped Meat Head at the same time he got dropped..

Some Heavyweights or freaks of nature like Dan Henderson can pull it off though I agree.
    I think Mitrione has been in a steady decline since day 1, did he ever have a "prime"?

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    I always wondered about a lot of the Pride guys who just seemed so dominant and then kind of fell apart once the UFC bought the promotion.
    No steroids and lack of Yakuza controlled fixed fights will do that to fighters.

NUTSonYAchin

He's still the GOAT...bunch of haters in here....he lost to Hendo who was on TRT and Bigfoot who was on TRT.

And to say he never fought the best heavyweights is a joke...the UFC didn't have the best heavyweights until 2008 when Fedor was already fading, and even to this day they aren't that great. From 2002-2007 Pride had ALL the best heavyweights. Wanna know how I know? Tim Sylvia and Randy Couture were their champs and are now a decade from their last fight while the Pride fighters were all still relevant until recently.

Fedor, big Nog, CroCop , Werdum, Overeem, Hunt, all did damage in the UFC while all the UFC heavyweights were weeded out and irrelevant within a few years (with the exception of Mir and AA). So stick your UFC flag up your ass jibbers.

I know you're a typical "I hate everyone except Amerikkka" redneck American who hates Russia (like a pea-brain), but Fedor would wreck any American fighter in his prime, ever.
    Points Awarded:

Russian Rocket gave NUTSonYAchin 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

NUTSonYAchin

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Yea Werdum, Nog, Rampage, Anderson Silva, Alvarez, Shogun, all cans who sucked and didn't win a UFC belt or anything....oh wait

Funny how everyone thinks the Pride guys were inferior, yet all the UFC guys were filtered out and irrelevant like Chuck and Randy once Pride was bought. Delusional ass UFC fan boys.

turbozed

He always avoided fighting the top HW's and the UFC.. He was always beating average opponents at best IMO.. I don't think he's the best ever because he was never tested by the best in the UFC... I think he was always overrated.. Has the looping right and times it well and a decent ground game but nothing special... A good HW but not great.. Undersized as well..
    This view is understandable for people that only started watching MMA after 2007 or so. When Fedor was already considered one of the best HWs of all time, the best HWs were in PRIDE. At the same time that you had Nogueira, Crocop, Fedor, etc. in PRIDE, Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski were having endless rematches because they were the only two decent HW fighters. Fedor ended up knocking out both of those guys later on when all three were getting older. When UFC had the best HW fighters, Fedor was already past his prime. It wasn't Fedor's fault that it took the UFC so long to get quality HWs worth fighting.

turbozed

Yea Werdum, Nog, Rampage, Anderson Silva, Alvarez, Shogun, all cans who sucked and didn't win a UFC belt or anything....oh wait

Funny how everyone thinks the Pride guys were inferior, yet all the UFC guys were filtered out and irrelevant like Chuck and Randy once Pride was bought. Delusional ass UFC fan boys.
    Yeah this is pretty absurd. Having watched MMA from early UFCs to the PRIDE days, and to the present day, it's amazing how the past is being rewritten by the newer and ignorant generation of MMA fans. I think a lot of it has to do with UFC marketing and the fact that the PRIDE guys came over towards the back end of their careers. Still, Anderson Silva became the most dominant champ in UFC history and guys with lots of miles on them like Rampage, Shogun, etc. became champs as well. Ask any person covering MMA through that era and nobody will doubt the competition level in PRIDE. This questioning of established MMA history is like some weird flat earth shit.
    Points Awarded:

marcoloco gave turbozed 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: marcoloco

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

old

doesnt juice

shitty gym

if he joined aka 15 years ago he'd still be undefeated

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Bastard gave me one of my biggest losses ever against that big foot goon who couldn't fight worth shit, but beat Fedor. Who was that fool again? Something Silva? Fedor was like -500 or some shit.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Once a fighter is over 35, they have lost a lot of their original natural muscle.
    Also, fighters are just a lot better now; better all-around.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

#1 Heavyweights gradually became bigger and more athletic.
    #2 Fedor's technique, reflexes and athleticism declined.
    #3 Fedor's opponents in pride didn't know they were fighting Fedor until I think the day of the fight.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

He's Russian and Russians can't fight for shit.

indio
    indio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3954

Let's be honest, you can make the case that Fedor hasn't really beat much since that decision win over CroCop in 2005. That was almost 12 years ago. Don't agree? Well, let's take a closer look.

12/2005 Zulu : Do I really need to say anything about Zulu?

10/2006 Mark Coleman : OK, Coleman was a legitimate fighter and wrestler in his day, but he was almost 42 years old in this fight.

12/2006 Mark Hunt : At first glance, you think of Mark Hunt as the big puncher who's been dangerous for years in the UFC, but one must acknowledge that at this time, Hunt was in the midst of getting stopped 6 times in a row, and he didn't win a fight in over 6 years during this streak.

4/2007 Matt Lindland : A 37 year old middleweight who was coming off of wins against Jeremy Horn and Carlos Newton.

12/2007 Hong Man Choi : A 7' tomato can.

7/2008 Tim Sylvia : Sure, he was a former UFC champ when their HW division was as thin as rice paper,and was a credible opponent. However, let's remember that Sylvia's next fight after this was getting KO'd in 10 seconds by Ray Mercer.

1/2009 Andre Arlovski : Arlovski was a credible heavyweight at the time and Fedor knocked him cold as Arlovski was aggressively attacking. Can't knock this win.

11/2009 Brett Rogers : Rogers was a 10-0 newcomer coming into this fight that had just KO'd Arlovski in 22 seconds. After this fight, Rogers would go on to lose 9 of his next 16 fights, many in some of the lower promotions in the sport.

11/2011 : Jeff Monson : Sure, who wouldn't want Monson on his side in a bar fight, but he was a 40 year old journeyman in this "retirement" fight in Russia.

12/2011 Satasho Ishii : A green fighter with 6 fights at the time, he's proven to be a C level fighter at best.

6/2012 Pedro Rizzo : This would have been a lot more impressive in 2002, in 2012? Not so much.

6/2016 Fabio Maldonado : Essentially a light-Heavyweight that had been cut from the UFC, he destroyed Fedor in the first round, and this decision was highly questionable. The fact that he ended up a slight favorite against Mitrione after this fight is truly hilarious.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Fedor fan. He was THE MAN for a while, and he deseved his lofty legend status. But c'mon, he has't been a credible top Heavyweight for at least 10 years. He got older, and the fighters coming up got better. I don't knock him for trying to squeeze every nickel out of his drawing power if he wants the money, but let's not pretend he's been anything but a novelty at this point.
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave indio 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

NUTSonYAchin

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Ok lets stereotype...blacks are talented but not tough and cant take a punch.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Ok lets stereotype...blacks are talented but not tough and cant take a punch.
    Bet this black man could put you to sleep with 2 punches though.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

2 punches?

Why not 1?

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

I see someone is just trying to be a big whiny pussy...How cute.

Lets review a few cold facts here, shall we:
    1. You never fought a Russian and you will never have the guts to approach one on the streets.
    2. You're being a sorry ass keyboard warrior, doesn't mean that you can actually fight.

But in any case African, here, I found something for ya...that's Fedor dropping your kind from Chicago, like a hot brick.

Enjoy it clown!

Points Awarded:

lakerboy gave Russian Rocket 20 SBR Point(s) for this post.

NUTSonYAchin

Quote Originally Posted by turbozed View Post
    Yeah this is pretty absurd. Having watched MMA from early UFCs to the PRIDE days, and to the present day, it's amazing how the past is being rewritten by the newer and ignorant generation of MMA fans. I think a lot of it has to do with UFC marketing and the fact that the PRIDE guys came over towards the back end of their careers. Still, Anderson Silva became the most dominant champ in UFC history and guys with lots of miles on them like Rampage, Shogun, etc. became champs as well. Ask any person covering MMA through that era and nobody will doubt the competition level in PRIDE. This questioning of established MMA history is like some weird flat earth shit.
    the earth is flat...seriously...no seriously, it's flat

mdunlap3
    mdunlap3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4843

Father Time is undefeated.

NUTSonYAchin

doubt it...I have a chin...yet most blacks can't take a punch and rely on their athleticism too much...they're mentally weak and get tired faster than everyone also if things don't go their way quickly, but not always.

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Im just bummed out that he couldnt reach a deal with Dana when his stock was at the highest point (when Brock was champion). His braindead russian agents were the worst. Imagine Brock/Fedor for the HW title.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Quote Originally Posted by Sato View Post
    Im just bummed out that he couldnt reach a deal with Dana when his stock was at the highest point (when Brock was champion). His braindead russian agents were the worst. Imagine Brock/Fedor for the HW title.
    Umm...no actually they made him a lot more money, than he could've got from Dana.

His agents didn't sell him for cheap - Very smart people.

White is one of the biggest scumbags in this sport, who's been raping fighters for years.

shadymcgrady
    shadymcgrady's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2978

Fedor made alot more during his career by avoiding ufc

He would've destroyed Brock

12 Last