Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Help me settle this bar discussion

When posed this question "how many points would pistol Pete average in today's NBA"

i responded that he would lead the league

im not gonna disclose my reasoning just yet

jus curious to your thoughts

because my people are burying me saying I'm crazy
    Points Awarded:

funnyb25 gave Louisvillekid1 80 Betpoint(s) for this post.

brainfreeze gave Louisvillekid1 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Pistol Pete was an awesome player. One of my favorite old school players.

It's tough to look at those stats back then with the pace being so much faster, knowledge of the game being limited (like any other field that develops over time with new research/concepts/etc). There were more possessions which led to inflated stats in those eras.

I think it would be nearly impossible for Pistol Pete to even be top 10 in the NBA in scoring today.

The league today is much more difficult than it was back then. Obviously, you can't compare though. Like if Pete were born in this era, he would be getting different training, have more knowledge about the game, have guys like Nash and others to admire, to learn from, to take things from their game and put it in his, and undoubtedly, he'd be a much better player for it. But him as he currently was to lead the NBA in scoring?

0 chance. Defenders are way more athletic today. Stronger. Faster. Better defenders because there's no hand check rule. Forced to adapt. Pete would struggle to get the same easy buckets he used to get back in the day. That shit will get tracked down in today's NBA and swatted.

Then you have some of his defensive inadequacies. He would have 0 chance of guarding a player like Chris Paul, or Curry, or a D Wade -- any of the elite PG/SG perimeter players in today's game would give him tons of trouble. He could get in foul trouble.

There are a lot of factors.

mpaschal34
    Go Navy.....Beat Army!!!
    mpaschal34's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5600

Pistol Pete would average about 6 points a game.

Sam Losco
    Sam Losco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13690

these arguments go on forever because noone really knows, eras way too different and noone wants to different from their opinion

i am curious on why you say he would though

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 131

He would rip the league up. Back then players actually played defense and played fundamental basketball. Now the game is all show boating, half the league can't even hit a mid range shot anymore. But mainly because defense in the NBA is just embarrassing, not to mention you can take 12 steps before you even have to dribble.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

Pistol Pete wouldn't even be in the league...there is the reverse Rooney rule for white players

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    He would rip the league up. Back then players actually played defense and played fundamental basketball. Now the game is all show boating, half the league can't even hit a mid range shot anymore. But mainly because defense in the NBA is just embarrassing, not to mention you can take 12 steps before you even have to dribble.
    My man, defense in that day was horrible.... Not just bad...HORRIBLE. And it was because of the lack of quality athletes in the league. The lack of information. The lack of basketball IQ. The insanely fast pace. The horrid offense. Everything combined.

The quality of play was much worse. If you watch the best team in the NBA today (the warriors) and watch what Pete Maravich used to do with his offense....it's not even close....you're talking about fundamentals. What about sophistication? The game is way, way more advanced. Maravich ran as simplistic of an offense as it gets bro. Guy was an amazing player, but come on. Let's not get carried away.

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    My man, defense in that day was horrible.... Not just bad...HORRIBLE. And it was because of the lack of quality athletes in the league. The lack of information. The lack of basketball IQ. The insanely fast pace. The horrid offense. Everything combined.

The quality of play was much worse. If you watch the best team in the NBA today (the warriors) and watch what Pete Maravich used to do with his offense....it's not even close....you're talking about fundamentals. What about sophistication? The game is way, way more advanced. Maravich ran as simplistic of an offense as it gets bro. Guy was an amazing player, but come on. Let's not get carried away.
    The league is such a pile of shit now it's unwatchable. You have guys that don't try at all unless they have the ball on offense. You have guys crying when they play more minutes than they think they should or just have to be given a night off because their vag hurts But tell me how great it is again.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Wasn't he white?

He would about 11 minutes per game

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

he only led the league in scoring once in his career. only averaged over 25 four times. so to think he would lead the league today is ridiculous. you may be thinking more about his college career

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

look up jj redicks numbers and add 4 pts and 2 rebounds

my reasoning?

same as this thread...who fukkin cares

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7726

Under you don't realize how good the players are now. Then again you don't watch.

funnyb25
    Go Get Laid Man!
    funnyb25's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24008

You can be crazy and sharp as phock at the same time...L kid gets it

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Wasn't he white?

He would about 11 minutes per game
    its a shame you are white and still cant make sense

Samfourteen
    Samfourteen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Pistol Pete=Ricky Rubio

Goat Milk

The league is such a pile of shit now it's unwatchable. You have guys that don't try at all unless they have the ball on offense. You have guys crying when they play more minutes than they think they should or just have to be given a night off because their vag hurts But tell me how great it is again.
    Yeah agreed on some of that stuff for sure. There are definitely cons to the game today. But to compare the quality of play/players from that era to this era is pretty absurd.

Bro Kevin Durant is a 7 footer with a great handle, he can attack, and he pulls up from 30 feet. There were no athletes like that in Pistol Pete's day. George Gervin was great yeah but nothing like Durant. No where near the skill set. It's all a result of these guys being able to watch previous players and learn from their established skills, and add even more skills. It's a result of technology. Of training. Of information on keeping your body healthy. Sleeping schedules. You think they had any of that in Pete's day?

I agree with Lakerman, don't think you understand how good NBA players are today. It's fukking hard to make the NBA. Almost impossible. 99.1% of college D1 athletes DON'T make the NBA. Enough said.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Good responses

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    its a shame you are white and still cant make sense
    Rudy...kraken is the number one reason why there is douche for sale
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: RudyRuetigger

unde0087
    Did we win?

Yeah agreed on some of that stuff for sure. There are definitely cons to the game today. But to compare the quality of play/players from that era to this era is pretty absurd.

Bro Kevin Durant is a 7 footer with a great handle, he can attack, and he pulls up from 30 feet. There were no athletes like that in Pistol Pete's day. George Gervin was great yeah but nothing like Durant. No where near the skill set. It's all a result of these guys being able to watch previous players and learn from their established skills, and add even more skills. It's a result of technology. Of training. Of information on keeping your body healthy. Sleeping schedules. You think they had any of that in Pete's day?

I agree with Lakerman, don't think you understand how good NBA players are today. It's fukking hard to make the NBA. Almost impossible. 99.1% of college D1 athletes DON'T make the NBA. Enough said.
    Ya, thanks for telling me the obvious. My point was not that Pistol Pete and others are as physically gifted. My point is the fundamentals of the game have went into the toilet and someone just forgot to flush. Defense, mid range game, in most cases teamwork all lost arts. It's all about show boating and getting yours now. Shit most of the players don't even know how to make the smart play because it isn't the play that makes sportscenter top 10. When I am watching and an announcer even says the word defense I can't help but start laughing. If a superstar isn't getting the ball when he thought he should you can bet your ass he isn't playing one shred of defense on the other end, fuk half the guys walk up the court whining like an 8 year old, saw that plenty from LeBron before he got his coach fired last year. Pretty pathetic when you give a half assed effort just because things arent going your way. Probably the reason more players are being drafted from other countries where they play fundamental and team basketball.
    Players are bigger and stronger but I watched Jordan get his old ass off the coach and drop 40+ on these superstars. So why couldn't any of the other greats in their prime?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Too many athletes today that guard well

Goat Milk

Ya, thanks for telling me the obvious. My point was not that Pistol Pete and others are as physically gifted. My point is the fundamentals of the game have went into the toilet and someone just forgot to flush. Defense, mid range game, in most cases teamwork all lost arts. It's all about show boating and getting yours now. Shit most of the players don't even know how to make the smart play because it isn't the play that makes sportscenter top 10. When I am watching and an announcer even says the word defense I can't help but start laughing. If a superstar isn't getting the ball when he thought he should you can bet your ass he isn't playing one shred of defense on the other end, fuk half the guys walk up the court whining like an 8 year old, saw that plenty from LeBron before he got his coach fired last year. Pretty pathetic when you give a half assed effort just because things arent going your way. Probably the reason more players are being drafted from other countries where they play fundamental and team basketball.
    Players are bigger and stronger but I watched Jordan get his old ass off the coach and drop 40+ on these superstars. So why couldn't any of the other greats in their prime?
    Because Jordan is as physically a gifted and as smart a basketball player as there has ever been in the NBA. Lebron played plenty of defense in the NBA finals -- in fact, it was probably the single greatest defensive performance in a series there has been. He was everywhere.

I think you're generalizing too much. Defense is at an all time best in the NBA easily as a whole over the last 15 years. Those eras before were garbage. Defense isn't knocking a guy to the ground or pushing them off the block. It's not football. Game is being played the correct way today. Make guys shuffle their feet. If you can't, like Harden, you're gonna be left in the dust. Back then Harden could just body you and impede your motion and prolly not even get a foul call. Don't reward shit like that today.

And there's plenty of great mid range players. Westbrook. D Wade. Demar Derozen. Kyrie Irving. Not to mention the all time master of the mid range jumper -- Kobe Bryant.

Goat Milk

In Kobe's defensive prime, I can't even imagine what he would do to Pete Maravich. Would be a straight shit show tbh.

Fundamentals? Bryant is the master of fundamentals. Footwork. Midrange game. High bball iq. His sophistication of offensive playcalling is off the charts. Maravich was a regular joe that barely even studied the game bro. And you're talking about fundamentals. Bryant studies basketball as if it is his religion. No comparison.

Look at the progression of the NBA from Wilt Days, to Maravich era, Jordan's era, Kobe's era, today. We have things like the triangle in Jordan and Bryant era that aren't as effective today. And then you see the kind of things the warriors run. Jeez bro. If those kinds of sets were run back then -- I can't even imagine how many pts would be scored.

The level of sophistication in the warriors offensive sets is something that blows every concept out of the water. Triangle. Everything. It's not even close.

What do you have to say about that? Not fundamental? lol.

unde0087
    Did we win?

Because Jordan is as physically a gifted and as smart a basketball player as there has ever been in the NBA. Lebron played plenty of defense in the NBA finals -- in fact, it was probably the single greatest defensive performance in a series there has been. He was everywhere.

I think you're generalizing too much. Defense is at an all time best in the NBA easily as a whole over the last 15 years. Those eras before were garbage. Defense isn't knocking a guy to the ground or pushing them off the block. It's not football. Game is being played the correct way today. Make guys shuffle their feet. If you can't, like Harden, you're gonna be left in the dust. Back then Harden could just body you and impede your motion and prolly not even get a foul call. Don't reward shit like that today.

And there's plenty of great mid range players. Westbrook. D Wade. Demar Derozen. Kyrie Irving. Not to mention the all time master of the mid range jumper -- Kobe Bryant.
    We aren't going to agree goat, I think it's just awful. I used to love coming home from church on a Sunday to catch the end of games, especially Bulls games. Now I think the league is by far the worst pro sport there is. I seriously can't watch a full game, even when I bet one, which is about 5 a year. It's just terrible, I don't think it is even a fraction of how it used to be.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

We aren't going to agree goat, I think it's just awful. I used to love coming home from church on a Sunday to catch the end of games, especially Bulls games. Now I think the league is by far the worst pro sport there is. I seriously can't watch a full game, even when I bet one, which is about 5 a year. It's just terrible, I don't think it is even a fraction of how it used to be.
    I just bet it...fukk watching the whore shit product. If you think you have to watch it to bet it...you are a fukking rookie

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    I just bet it...fukk watching the whore shit product. If you think you have to watch it to bet it...you are a fukking rookie
    I watch games I bet, if that makes me a rookie than so be it booya.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

I watch games I bet, if that makes me a rookie than so be it booya.
    that wasnt my point unde....my point was you dont have to watch all the games to figure out who to bet.

many people watch the games they bet...I just cant watch the shit but it is my best money making sport

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

Remember Adam Morrison? Yeah, that's how he'd do.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

Quote Originally Posted by astro61200 View Post

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by astro61200 View Post
    You fuk astro

Remember Steve Nash, ya son, that's him

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I remember my high school coach showed us a video of him. He shot for about 30 minutes. Not only did he not miss but the ball bounced back to him every time due to the spin he put on it. I think he'd do just fine

Goat Milk

Lol whatever. Not sure why you have an avatar of a college basketball team considering college bball is complete garbage. Bunch of kids that can't make the big boy league and if they do make it 95% of them get roasted and then sent down to the D League cause they lack fundamentals, IQ, and talent. College basketball is no fundamentals whatsoever. Guys in the post are clueless about footwork. PGs are clueless about the nuances of the pick and roll. Go watch Cp3 operate in the pick and roll then watch a college pg. Then talk fundamentals.

unde0087
    Did we win?

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I remember my high school coach showed us a video of him. He shot for about 30 minutes. Not only did he not miss but the ball bounced back to him every time due to the spin he put on it. I think he'd do just fine
    I like just watching him dribble, the guy had mad handles

unde0087
    Did we win?

Lol whatever. Not sure why you have an avatar of a college basketball team considering college bball is complete garbage. Bunch of kids that can't make the big boy league and if they do make it 95% of them get roasted and then sent down to the D League cause they lack fundamentals, IQ, and talent. College basketball is no fundamentals whatsoever. Guys in the post are clueless about footwork. PGs are clueless about the nuances of the pick and roll. Go watch Cp3 operate in the pick and roll then watch a college pg. Then talk fundamentals.
    Cp3 was a college PG

brainfreeze
    Meaning
    brainfreeze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    When posed this question "how many points would pistol Pete average in today's NBA"

i responded that he would lead the league

im not gonna disclose my reasoning just yet

jus curious to your thoughts

because my people are burying me saying I'm crazy

astro61200
    astro61200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

12 Last