SBR Forum
    SBR Forum's Avatar Administrator
    Betpoints: 993431

Bitcoin Exchange Coinbase Strengthened by Circle's Exit

Circle, one of the biggest US facing bitcoin exchanges, announced that it would no longer operate as a traditional bitcoin exchange where users could buy and sell bitcoin.

Circle will focus on its mobile app business and other usages and recommended their existing users cash out their bitcoin or transferred to a preferred partner such as Coinbase.

The price of bitcoin has seen no immediate movement following the announcement. While an inconvenience to users who only used Circle to buy and sell bitcoin, many sports bettors at SBR Forum have given more positive feedback on the ease of use, limits, and software offered at Coinbase, the world's largest US facing bitcoin exchange. | Read more

UBNVS
    UBNVS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5878

This is terrible. I always buy from circle.

astrodomer
    Houston Oilers
    astrodomer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Are there any other places you can use a pre paid debit card at like circle?

gregmav1
    gregmav1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1350

Well, this sucks

scavsiu8
    scavsiu8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 675

Literally just bought last night. Unreal.!

Any advice how to get your Coinbase Debit card limit above $60?

Are there any other apps that you can buy from a debit card people would recommend?

UBNVS

Any other places to buy from a credit card for us players with 3000 dollar limits like circle?

bigskings
    bigskings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 516

This is so stupid. No one is going to use Circle now.

rockmvp1209
    rockmvp1209's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3931

Guys Coinbase paid circle a CRAP TON of money to do this. You have to see the bigger picture

Dr. Fager
    Update your status
    Dr. Fager's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7167

Wasn't aware of this change until a few minutes ago when I went to my Circle account. Very disappointing. Not that it has any affect but fired off an email to them expressing the dismay this has created. Coinbase much more stringent, Circle was my go to.

ParlayKing1986
    ParlayKing1986's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3437

Im giving gemini a try...its only available in certain states but believe you can buy right away..just not sell..which is gine as i use bitpay card.

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3427

Quote Originally Posted by scavsiu8 View Post
    Literally just bought last night. Unreal.!

Any advice how to get your Coinbase Debit card limit above $60?

Are there any other apps that you can buy from a debit card people would recommend?
    Idk mine is 1500 but I've made many buys...the ~4% fees are rough tho.

rockmvp1209
    rockmvp1209's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3931

Nitrogen won't be too happy

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3427

What sucks is all my buys would be from coinbase getting a cheaper rate and sells would be to circle getting the higher rate plus free withdrawals...i like coinbase but all the fees suck

gregmav1
    gregmav1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1350

are there any other legit ones other than coinbase, now that circle is gone?

Catch77
    Catch77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1804

Quote Originally Posted by rockmvp1209 View Post
    Guys Coinbase paid circle a CRAP TON of money to do this. You have to see the bigger picture
    No I think Circle is trying to avoid the inevitable IRS subpoenas and subsequent Court battle Coinbase just got served with.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/bu...role.html?_r=0
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: scottgodson1985

Catch77
    Catch77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1804

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I wonder why?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/bu...role.html?_r=0

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Circle decided bitcoin has no future. They have always been interested in being a payment processor and just saw bitcoin as the way to do it. They hoped people would use bitcoin to buy Starbucks. Now they are going to try to go after the money transfer market and become an electronic P2P so people can send money with their phones.

UBNVS

Makes you wonder if circle knows a lot more that they are not saying. Seem fishy to anyone?

UBNVS

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    Circle decided bitcoin has no future. They have always been interested in being a payment processor and just saw bitcoin as the way to do it. They hoped people would use bitcoin to buy Starbucks. Now they are going to try to go after the money transfer market and become an electronic P2P so people can send money with their phones.
    Im with you. I think circle thinks Bitcoin doesn't have a long solid future.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Quote Originally Posted by UBNVS View Post
    Im with you. I think circle thinks Bitcoin doesn't have a long solid future.
    Wall Street got really interested in the blockchain. They love the blockchain as a payment system. But nobody is interested in using bitcoin to make payments. So Circle is getting on with being a payment provider with the blockchain without bitcoin. That's where the money is going to be.

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

Is this effective today? I just bought $50 and it let me do it. Or are they not taking new customers?

GoldRush7
    GoldRush7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

This is no good. Any other options for U.S. players besides coinbase?

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

Ahh can't send to a bitcoin address any more. U can load to send to a friend or bank

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

I'm not sure that article really explains why they have done this. Circle will still be a financial services company and presumably subject to the same laws they were anyway.

But, it's not the end of the world anyway, just a wake up call that American users need to take off the blinkers and choose to use a non-US regulated exchange.

Govt wanting info from Coinbase/Circle was always 100% expected at some point.

Been suggesting independentreserve.com to people for months and as far as I know not one person has taken any notice. No one has even responded to the idea with a question as far I recall.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by GoldRush7 View Post
    This is no good. Any other options for U.S. players besides coinbase?
    Hundreds

GoldRush7

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Hundreds
    Any that you would recommend personally? Or anyone else?

badgerguy
    badgerguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 536

Hundreds
    Any that you can purchase directly using a debit card like you could with circle? I just tried coinbase but it wouldn't let me add a debit card.

GoldRush7

Quote Originally Posted by badgerguy View Post
    Any that you can purchase directly using a debit card like you could with circle? I just tried coinbase but it wouldn't let me add a debit card.
    This is my concern as well.

UBNVS

I'm not sure that article really explains why they have done this. Circle will still be a financial services company and presumably subject to the same laws they were anyway.

But, it's not the end of the world anyway, just a wake up call that American users need to take off the blinkers and choose to use a non-US regulated exchange.

Govt wanting info from Coinbase/Circle was always 100% expected at some point.

Been suggesting independentreserve.com to people for months and as far as I know not one person has taken any notice. No one has even responded to the idea with a question as far I recall.
    Thanks! I just signed up for independent reserve. Takes a day I guess to get signed up. Can I use credit card for deposit? And if so what are limits. Thanks, I searched he website but I could find those answers.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by GoldRush7 View Post

Any that you would recommend personally? Or anyone else?
    One post further up I said a non-US regulated exchange was always the smart way to go. Independentreserve.com is my personal suggestion. Deposits and withdraws by wire. Flat $20 withdraw fee. Australian regulated.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by UBNVS View Post
    Thanks! I just signed up for independent reserve. Takes a day I guess to get signed up. Can I use credit card for deposit? And if so what are limits. Thanks, I searched he website but I could find those answers.
    The choices are here https://www.independentreserve.com/Help#funding

No ************ even for Australians. Bank transfers are the only way offered for US$ bank account users. They charge a flat $20 fee to wire your cashouts.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

This is really sad. Circle was one of the easiest to buy Bitcoins at a fair and reasonable price.

Doomsday again.

evo34
    evo34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4198

The choices are here https://www.independentreserve.com/Help#funding

No ************ even for Australians. Bank transfers are the only way offered for US$ bank account users. They charge a flat $20 fee to wire your cashouts.
    Why wouldn't the US simply add Independent Reserve to the list of institutions with which US banks are not allowed to accept/send wires?

BoKnowsBest
    BoKnowsBest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3640

So I got a cashout today. If I transfer 5K to circle can I still transfer to bank? I only use circle to transfer from blockchain to circle to get to my bank. Will this impact me in any way?

Memento
    Short Term Memory Loss Required
    Memento's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 474

Quote Originally Posted by BoKnowsBest View Post
    So I got a cashout today. If I transfer 5K to circle can I still transfer to bank? I only use circle to transfer from blockchain to circle to get to my bank. Will this impact me in any way?
    I don't think you can send BTC to circle anymore...at least I can no longer generate a BTC wallet address. If you have money in circle they will let you cash out or send out to another BTC address.

1234 ... Last