1. #1
    stevenash
    Talk to me about MLB anything
    stevenash's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 32,820
    Betpoints: 1957

    Remember the 1985 Final Four

    Big East domination.

    Villanova - champs
    Georgetown - should have been champs
    St. Johns - Louie
    Memphis State - the forgotten team but talented.

    'Nova won with Pinckney, McClain and Pressley
    Georgetown - Pat Ewing (NBA Hall of Fame) Reggie Williams, Jackson...
    Memphis State - From the old Metro Conference, be honest can you tell me how many teams were in the Metro?
    Who were they?
    http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...etro/1988.html

    Big East was so loaded.

    8 seniors were drafted in NBA that summer, Villanova had 3 Pinckney, McClain and the other McClain.
    Georgetown - Hall of Fame Patrick Ewing, Bill Martin.
    Memphis State had Keith Lee
    St. Johns was stacked ! Chris Muullin went to the NBA had a monster career, Bill Wennington (Michael Jordan loved that center, he won three rings with the Bulls, ask Michael if he loved playing with Wennington, sure he wasn't a superstar, but he had a very good game)

    Mark Jackson went on the a rock solid NBA career the next season.



  2. #2
    jjgold
    Update your status
    jjgold's Avatar Horses Moderator
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 341,012
    Betpoints: 597

    Kids leaving early to be NBA busts has really hurt the game

  3. #3
    opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-12-10
    Posts: 23,442
    Betpoints: 382

    Reggie Williams was a badass. Just think if Michael Graham hadn't gotten himself in trouble that year.

    SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 2/4/2017

    SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011


  4. #4
    stevenash
    Talk to me about MLB anything
    stevenash's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 32,820
    Betpoints: 1957

    Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Reggie Williams was a badass. Just think if Michael Graham hadn't gotten himself in trouble that year.
    Hoya's were bad asses, they beat St. John's three times that season, and St. John's was loaded, four of their starters eventually got drafted NBA.

  5. #5
    DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-30-12
    Posts: 4,346
    Betpoints: 743

    Nasher. Went to a Big East tourney right in that window, mid 80s.
    Somebody knew somebody for tickets and 8 of us packed in a car, drove down to NYC, MSG.
    Stayed in 1 hotel room directly across the street.

    The best part was as a group,we were not there to root for one team, but just the ball.
    So many seats opened up after first and second round games, we got to move
    down to the floor seats. Far and away best college hoops I ever saw live.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: POOLSIDE

  6. #6
    stevenash
    Talk to me about MLB anything
    stevenash's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 32,820
    Betpoints: 1957

    Quote Originally Posted by DOM-Ganador View Post
    Nasher. Went to a Big East tourney right in that window, mid 80s.
    Somebody knew somebody for tickets and 8 of us packed in a car, drove down to NYC, MSG.
    Stayed in 1 hotel room directly across the street.

    The best part was as a group,we were not there to root for one team, but just the ball.
    So many seats opened up after first and second round games, we got to move
    down to the floor seats. Far and away best college hoops I ever saw live.
    I was at the same tourney, rooting on my UConn Huskies in the quarter finals, Hoyas CRUSHED us.
    Second game that night was BC versus 'Cuse 70 69 thriller, insta classic. I was in college in '85, went to the games with some BC buddies.
    Stayed for the semi's, payed I think 100 bucks for those two games. St. John's played 'Cuse, Chris Mullin had mad skills. So did Berry.

  7. #7
    POOLSIDE
    POOLSIDE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-06-14
    Posts: 2,816
    Betpoints: 213

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Kids leaving early to be NBA busts has really hurt the game
    Couldn't agree more

  8. #8
    DOM-Ganador
    DOM-Ganador's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-30-12
    Posts: 4,346
    Betpoints: 743

    All thanks to Dave Gavitt. Got hired, changed the entire landscape of college hoops.

    Great story about Gavitt. Years later, he was hired by the Celtics. First time he walks into their practice facility,
    he turns to the whole group with the "What the F``ukk are you guys doing here???"
    Hellenic College at the time. Freakin` basically HS facility.
    Plans were started that day for a state of the art stand alone practice facility.
    He had vision. RIP.

  9. #9
    stevenash
    Talk to me about MLB anything
    stevenash's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 32,820
    Betpoints: 1957

    Quote Originally Posted by DOM-Ganador View Post
    All thanks to Dave Gavitt. Got hired, changed the entire landscape of college hoops.

    Great story about Gavitt. Years later, he was hired by the Celtics. First time he walks into their practice facility,
    he turns to the whole group with the "What the F``ukk are you guys doing here???"
    Hellenic College at the time. Freakin` basically HS facility.
    Plans were started that day for a state of the art stand alone practice facility.
    He had vision. RIP.
    One of the best sports documentaries I have ever seen,

    http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page...mforthebigeast

  10. #10
    BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-02-15
    Posts: 1,690
    Betpoints: 727

    Isn't that the championship game where Nova shot about 80% the first half?

  11. #11
    Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-11-06
    Posts: 3,889
    Betpoints: 2084

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyOne View Post
    Isn't that the championship game where Nova shot about 80% the first half?
    Yes. Nova was a big dog, catching 8 points, nobody gave them a chance. Only reason the line was not bigger was everyone assumed they would slow the game down so much that there would be very few possessions. Then they shoot 78% for the GAME! I'll never forget it - one of the biggest upsets ever IMO.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 07/02/2020

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 06/25/2020


  12. #12
    USCPHILLYGUY
    2019 Academy Award Winner
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-15-12
    Posts: 16,715
    Betpoints: 56

    I remember georgetown after the game still proclaiming they were number 1

    fukin thugs.....

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020

    SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 2/4/2017


  13. #13
    stevenash
    Talk to me about MLB anything
    stevenash's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 32,820
    Betpoints: 1957

    Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    I remember georgetown after the game still proclaiming they were number 1

    fukin thugs.....
    Your Philly boys had a magic carpet ride that game, they were lights out can't miss.
    One of the greatest shooting displays I ever saw.

  14. #14
    dwatersalec
    dwatersalec's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-08-10
    Posts: 372
    Betpoints: 5142

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Your Philly boys had a magic carpet ride that game, they were lights out can't miss.
    One of the greatest shooting displays I ever saw.
    I still remember that Final Four like it was yesterday. The peak of college hoops in this country. I still recall seeing one of the best passes I have ever seen from Chris Mullin in the first half of the national semifinal. Mullin was in the lane and Wennington's man was fronting him. Mullin put a little side spin on the ball to keep it away from the Georgetown defender and then kickback to Wennington for a dunk.

  15. #15
    Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-19-07
    Posts: 24,369
    Betpoints: 133

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 07/02/2020

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020


  16. #16
    USCPHILLYGUY
    2019 Academy Award Winner
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-15-12
    Posts: 16,715
    Betpoints: 56

    Quote Originally Posted by USCPHILLYGUY View Post
    I remember georgetown after the game still proclaiming they were number 1

    fukin thugs.....
    I apologize for calling the Georgetown players thugs over 4 years ago

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020

    SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 2/4/2017


Top