1. #1
    Suggartown
    Will work for 1/2 points
    Suggartown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-06-13
    Posts: 565
    Betpoints: 78

    Lamest Bankroll Management Question ever!

    Ok so I'm sure this will have multiple answers but I'm really trying to be better with my bankroll management.

    Lets say I have $1835 total bankroll and want to play the 1% or 2% max rule.

    1st Bet @ +110 odds Risk $18.35 to win $20.19

    I WIN!! YES,YES,YES!!

    New balance 1855.19

    So now on bet #2 should I risk

    $18.35 for each bet thereafter until I reach a predefined point in the bankroll (say $2000) before I move the unit size up?

    or Should I bet $18.55 on this bet since it is 1% of current bankroll.

    Completely hypothetical situation.... I actually think there may be a mathmatical advantage to using the 1% of current bankroll rolling method to maximize profits (and losses too......) shit

    Thanks for replies.

  2. #2
    LT Profits
    VIP Moderator
    LT Profits's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date: 10-27-06
    Posts: 90,954
    Betpoints: 4174

    2 Things:

    1)Bet should be TO WIN 1%, so at +110, bet should be $16.68 to win $18.35.

    2)Technically, bankroll should be re-calced after each bet, so if you win $18.35 and new balance is $1853.35, next bet should be $18.53.

    However, I know it is impractical to re-calc after every bet especially when there are simultaneous plays going on, so personally I calculate based on beginning bankroll at the start of the day and just stay with that amount for all bets until following morning.

  3. #3
    PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-11-10
    Posts: 6,766
    Betpoints: 2205

    Do all that and "hammer-down" on a game after you lose 3,4,5 (whatever # best suits YOU) in a row.
    Ftr, by "hammer-down" I mean "ENTIRE remaining bankroll". . .
    Points Awarded:

    manny24 gave PittsburghPlayer 6 Betpoint(s) for this post.


  4. #4
    Suggartown
    Will work for 1/2 points
    Suggartown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-06-13
    Posts: 565
    Betpoints: 78

    Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    2 Things:

    1)Bet should be TO WIN 1%, so at +110, bet should be $16.68 to win $18.35.

    2)Technically, bankroll should be re-calced after each bet, so if you win $18.35 and new balance is $1853.35, next bet should be $18.53.

    However, I know it is impractical to re-calc after every bet especially when there are simultaneous plays going on, so personally I calculate based on beginning bankroll at the start of the day and just stay with that amount for all bets until following morning.
    Thank you for your reply. That makes alot of sense. I think that's what I will do is do it on a daily basis.

    Quote Originally Posted by PittsburghPlayer View Post
    Do all that and "hammer-down" on a game after you lose 3,4,5 (whatever # best suits YOU) in a row.
    Ftr, by "hammer-down" I mean "ENTIRE remaining bankroll". . .
    I have played this game before, it did not like me very well. Thus the new strategy. I do wish Pool the best of luck with his play tonight however!

  5. #5
    Suggartown
    Will work for 1/2 points
    Suggartown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-06-13
    Posts: 565
    Betpoints: 78

    Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    2 Things:

    1)Bet should be TO WIN 1%, so at +110, bet should be $16.68 to win $18.35.

    2)Technically, bankroll should be re-calced after each bet, so if you win $18.35 and new balance is $1853.35, next bet should be $18.53.

    However, I know it is impractical to re-calc after every bet especially when there are simultaneous plays going on, so personally I calculate based on beginning bankroll at the start of the day and just stay with that amount for all bets until following morning.
    Ok one other thing, if odds were -110 do I risk enough to win $18.35 or risk $18.35 to win $16.something?

  6. #6
    PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-11-10
    Posts: 6,766
    Betpoints: 2205

    Quote Originally Posted by Suggartown View Post
    Ok one other thing, if odds were -110 do I risk enough to win $18.35 or risk $18.35 to win $16.something?
    He answered that. Now "hammer-down"...

    just messin` with Ya, but he did answer that.

  7. #7
    LT Profits
    VIP Moderator
    LT Profits's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date: 10-27-06
    Posts: 90,954
    Betpoints: 4174

    Quote Originally Posted by Suggartown View Post
    Ok one other thing, if odds were -110 do I risk enough to win $18.35 or risk $18.35 to win $16.something?
    Always TO WIN, so $20.19 to win $18.35

  8. #8
    Suggartown
    Will work for 1/2 points
    Suggartown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-06-13
    Posts: 565
    Betpoints: 78

    Thanks LT

  9. #9
    MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Roger Mexico
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-08-14
    Posts: 15,064
    Betpoints: 846

    Good lord.

  10. #10
    BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-02-15
    Posts: 2,672
    Betpoints: 15706

    I like your % plan and certainly think the method you and LT are talking about is solid. I modified it a little bit for myself to moving the amount bet and checkpoints . In your case - let's so you move up at 2000, 2100,2200 etc. it worked two ways - money and motivation - I almost wanted to hit the bet so I could move up on the next one - being in the 2k category etc.

    Have you studied Kelly Criterion on when to increase the % or decrease?

  11. #11
    Suggartown
    Will work for 1/2 points
    Suggartown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-06-13
    Posts: 565
    Betpoints: 78

    Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    Good lord.
    God is good all the time. Its Easter even!

  12. #12
    Suggartown
    Will work for 1/2 points
    Suggartown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-06-13
    Posts: 565
    Betpoints: 78

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyOne View Post
    I like your % plan and certainly think the method you and LT are talking about is solid. I modified it a little bit for myself to moving the amount bet and checkpoints . In your case - let's so you move up at 2000, 2100,2200 etc. it worked two ways - money and motivation - I almost wanted to hit the bet so I could move up on the next one - being in the 2k category etc.

    Have you studied Kelly Criterion on when to increase the % or decrease?
    I have not. Maybe I should check it out. thx

  13. #13
    MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Roger Mexico
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-08-14
    Posts: 15,064
    Betpoints: 846

    Quote Originally Posted by Suggartown View Post
    God is good all the time. Its Easter even!
    I am nod a beeleafer.

  14. #14
    PittsburghPlayer
    PittsburghPlayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-11-10
    Posts: 6,766
    Betpoints: 2205

    ...
    Last edited by PittsburghPlayer; 03-28-16 at 09:39 AM.

  15. #15
    BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-02-15
    Posts: 2,672
    Betpoints: 15706

    That's the brutal part of Kelly Criterion - if you are not a winning player-53% on spread bets - it says don't bet until can show a paper profit and then you can start betting again. It teaches a lot of good things - bet more on more perceived value, etc. But, that is the hard part - you nail a good bet/price - it is really hard to calculate possible value - that is somewhat debatable.

    I guess we would all like to work with a 50k bank and shoot nickels. I have a lot of respect for a player who grinds his way to his bank goal over a year or even 2 - plays with the sportsbooks money and eventually brings it home.

  16. #16
    GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-05-10
    Posts: 9,814
    Betpoints: 101

    Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    2 Things:

    1)Bet should be TO WIN 1%, so at +110, bet should be $16.68 to win $18.35.

    2)Technically, bankroll should be re-calced after each bet, so if you win $18.35 and new balance is $1853.35, next bet should be $18.53.

    However, I know it is impractical to re-calc after every bet especially when there are simultaneous plays going on, so personally I calculate based on beginning bankroll at the start of the day and just stay with that amount for all bets until following morning.
    I agree with the 1% of total bankroll money management betting strategy.
    Everyone new to sports betting and even veteran bettors should be betting this way to prevent being broke.

  17. #17
    biggie12
    biggie12's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-30-05
    Posts: 13,155
    Betpoints: 1634

    With a 2k bankroll your better off getting a minimum wage job u will be better off.

    Unless ur just betting recreationally for fun and trying to limit losses

    Go get a job

  18. #18
    BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-02-15
    Posts: 2,672
    Betpoints: 15706

    Quote Originally Posted by biggie12 View Post
    With a 2k bankroll your better off getting a minimum wage job u will be better off.

    Unless ur just betting recreationally for fun and trying to limit losses

    Go get a job
    Kelly is not about limiting losses - he says don't play if you are not picking at 53%+. It is about winning no matter what level you play at. But, I see your point that it takes a lot of time and effort to make winning picks and is it worth it for small amounts. Maybe, it is if someone is learning how to win?

Top