Isaiah
    Isaiah's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6957

Pete Franklin

Anyone here old enough to have listened to one of the most entertaining sports talk show host in history of radio?

13th Inning
    13th Inning's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2282

Yeh, I remember Pete Franklin, back on WFAN before even Mike and Mad Dog were on... Maybe 1987 or 1988 or so.. I remember an ad in a NY Mets yearbook from back then where he wore a button that had "Imus" in the middle of that universal symbol of the circle with a line through it. My favorite Pete Franklin memory was years ago - there was one caller who asked about what "icing" meant in hockey, and Pete told him with a straight face that it was when there were too many ice shavings on the ice from all the players' skates and they had to stop play... Too funny...

Isaiah

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Inning View Post
    Yeh, I remember Pete Franklin, back on WFAN before even Mike and Mad Dog were on... Maybe 1987 or 1988 or so.. I remember an ad in a NY Mets yearbook from back then where he wore a button that had "Imus" in the middle of that universal symbol of the circle with a line through it. My favorite Pete Franklin memory was years ago - there was one caller who asked about what "icing" meant in hockey, and Pete told him with a straight face that it was when there were too many ice shavings on the ice from all the players' skates and they had to stop play... Too funny...
    lol....good stuff....vintage Franklin. I listened to him on WWWE Cleveland 1100 am on your radio dial every night in the mid 1970's. Absolutely the best! Brutal with callers if they didn't know what they were talking about and a passionate Yankee hater. Hilarious acerbic wit. I believe he mellowed considerably in his latter years on the air so you missed the best of him in his prime. Happy to learn that there is at least one person here that knew what the hell I was referencing. Thanks for your response and the memory.

TheGuesser
    TheGuesser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24835

When I was a big AM Radio DXer from NYC, Three W E was my favorite Get. When I discovered Pete Franklin, way before WFAN was even a thought, I was in heaven. Pete was great. By the time he came to NYC, he was done, and just doing it for the $$$ in the Pete Franklin retirement fund, but in Cleveland, at night in the 70's, nothing on air could compare to Pete Franklin. I remember Pete was the main reason Cleveland got the short lived NHL team. He was a huge Hockey fan. My best bud in HS and College was a huge Yankee fan, but I hooked him on Pete, and we would crack up every day imitating the show. The Pete- Imus "feud" in NYC was fun though, when Pete came to WFAN. Remember the Caller on Pete's show, a kid named "Mr Know It All? He became a huge Cleveland radio guy when he grew up, who may still be on in Cleveland.

Isaiah

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuesser View Post
    When I was a big AM Radio DXer from NYC, Three W E was my favorite Get. When I discovered Pete Franklin, way before WFAN was even a thought, I was in heaven. Pete was great. By the time he came to NYC, he was done, and just doing it for the $$$ in the Pete Franklin retirement fund, but in Cleveland, at night in the 70's, nothing on air could compare to Pete Franklin. I remember Pete was the main reason Cleveland got the short lived NHL team. He was a huge Hockey fan. My best bud in HS and College was a huge Yankee fan, but I hooked him on Pete, and we would crack up every day imitating the show. The Pete- Imus "feud" in NYC was fun though, when Pete came to WFAN. Remember the Caller on Pete's show, a kid named "Mr Know It All? He became a huge Cleveland radio guy when he grew up, who may still be on in Cleveland.
    Do I remember Mr. Know It All? Here is a treat for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6diD2W6aoCM
    Last edited by Isaiah; 12-02-14 at 11:51 PM.

TommyDog
    TommyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 289

Mr. Know It All is now hosting a show on WTAM (which was WWWE in the Pete Franklin days), known as Mike Trivesonto.

One of the GREAT memories of my childhood was attending an Indians-Yankees doubleheader in the late 70s. Indians passed out "I Hate The Yankees Hankies" and Pete took the field in between games and got the crowd all revved up, waving the hanky. Still got mine after all those years.

Pete's clash with former Cavs owner Ted Stepien was the ULTIMATE radio. Sheer comedy gold!!!!!

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Sorry I missed him when he was younger, he spent his last years on the air in San Francisco. I liked him, but he must've mellowed. Did he do "Pigskin Pete predicts..." back in the day?

Isaiah

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    Sorry I missed him when he was younger, he spent his last years on the air in San Francisco. I liked him, but he must've mellowed. Did he do "Pigskin Pete predicts..." back in the day?
    Yes he had mellowed considerably by the time he ended up in San Francisco. What made him so great back in the 70's was he was a pioneer in the genre. Nowadays the air waves are filled with no talent talk radio screamers who try to cover it up by being "shocking". Well nothing is shocking today so it doesn't work.

Back then it was uncharted territory and Franklin was perfect for it. He was not only outrageous but also talented and very knowledgeable about sports. He brought the whole package.

And yes, he did "Pigskin Pete" predicts back then. If memory serves he was a pretty good handicapper. He also had a regular caller called "The Great Swami". Give this clip a listen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ZYJ7giBfY

TheGuesser

Pete on WFAN, posted on YouTube by the Great Sid Rosenberg.

TheGuesser

More Pete on WFAN, his last day. Quite the shirt Francesa was rockin.

TheGuesser

Pete on WWWE with Classic Drunk caller Mr Sour Apple. Thanks for bringin back the memories.