TheCentaur
    Betpoints: 68

Now that college athletes are considered employees...

I would think these colleges could get slapped with huge lawsuits from all the sexual assaults

SamDiamond
    Betpoints: 106

Well, the issue is not that simple.

For one, -- it doesn't address state universities--- just those kids playing at private schools like Northwestern.

And, Northwestern is already appealing the decision.

At the national NLRB- I doubt the athletes win. For one reason, okay, fine you're employees. Now, here's a tax bill for 45K tuition (payment)... if they are in fact employees-- then there benefit is taxable.....not sure what the end game is here, but it doesn't make much sense.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by SamDiamond View Post
    not sure what the end game is here, but it doesn't make much sense.
    Agree.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Betpoints: 14

getting paid to play?

man i wish it was like that when i was younger.

Stetson University invited me as a non-scholarship walk on to play on their baseball team
    but i turned it down b/c it was basically like me paying over 30K a year to play on a baseball team where i would have likely gotten limited playing time.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1686

If a union is getting involved, then I would think they are expecting players to eventually get paid, so they can collect union dues. If players get paid, I would expect the budgets for less popular sports to be cut. In other words, less athletic scholarships.

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    Betpoints: 5324

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    If a union is getting involved, then I would think they are expecting players to eventually get paid, so they can collect union dues. If players get paid, I would expect the budgets for less popular sports to be cut. In other words, less athletic scholarships.
    NCAA makes billions without passing it around to those that make it happen to begin with.

They should be made to paid through the arse...

GiveMeaBJ
    WIN WIN WIN
    Betpoints: 335

Could be a huge mess, doubt it will stick though.

Cuse0323
    Betpoints: 87

Well, the issue is not that simple.

For one, -- it doesn't address state universities--- just those kids playing at private schools like Northwestern.

And, Northwestern is already appealing the decision.

At the national NLRB- I doubt the athletes win. For one reason, okay, fine you're employees. Now, here's a tax bill for 45K tuition (payment)... if they are in fact employees-- then there benefit is taxable.....not sure what the end game is here, but it doesn't make much sense.
    Is the private school thing legit, Cuse is fcked.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post
    NCAA makes billions without passing it around to those that make it happen to begin with.

Most schools are already claiming they are in the red for their programs. Lesser sports will not have union representation. Cutting these programs, whether football is operating in the red or not, could potentially put a black eye, in public opinion, on the unions.

TheCentaur
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post

Scholarship players get free room, board, clothing, free training in their sport, a shot at professional leagues, and whatever else, plus a free college education. Otherwise most of these guys wouldn't be working at McDonalds, they would be robbing people outside the McDonalds. Don't know why people keep forgetting this
    Last edited by TheCentaur; 03-28-14 at 09:27 AM.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

This will eventually become a major political issue. The unions, in general, have gotten the black eye, time and time again lately. Less dues to unions = less campaign contributions. How do you raise the unions from the dead? Convince the youngest voting generation of how good they would be for them against those rich, evil corporations.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    This will eventually become a major political issue. The unions, in general, have gotten the black eye, time and time again lately. Less dues to unions = less campaign contributions. How do you raise the unions from the dead? Convince the youngest voting generation of how good they would be for them against those rich, evil corporations.
    Interesting thought.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

The NCAA knows how to make money, but not how to share fairly with its laborers. I don't know how this is going to play out in the end, but sports and education have no business being in bed together. University presidents will let NCAA screw with its athletes, but would never let them in the state to oversee the educational parts of the university. Basically, the presidents wouldn't pay the NCAA to raised money for their schools or make sure that every school is equitably funded and educationally balanced, that they could do themselves, but it ok to pay the NCAA to make sure athletic teams don't get a competitive advantage. Go figure.

SamDiamond
    Betpoints: 106

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    The NCAA knows how to make money, but not how to share fairly with its laborers. I don't know how this is going to play out in the end, but sports and education have no business being in bed together. University presidents will let NCAA screw with its athletes, but would never let them in the state to oversee the educational parts of the university. Basically, the presidents wouldn't pay the NCAA to raised money for their schools or make sure that every school is equitably funded and educationally balanced, that they could do themselves, but it ok to pay the NCAA to make sure athletic teams don't get a competitive advantage. Go figure.
    I think you need to understand what the "NCAA"is....

You say, "University presidents will let NCAA screw with its athletes.."------ Those "university presidents" are what make up the NCAA. They are the NCAA.

University Presidents--- from Florida State to USC to Oregon--- vote on, approve, and hire--- the leadership of the NCAA.

Real change on any level HAS to be approved by the same university presidents you're talking about.

The NCAA can only P-R-O-P-O-S-E legislation---- they DO NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY to pass it into membership law.

It is the University Presidents and Athletic Directors who have the power. The problems begin and end with them.

It isn't the NCAA who tried to stop a 1-A Playoff. It was the Presidents and AD's who wanted to keep the money flowing from the bowl system.

Blaming the NCAA for all these problems is like blaming the company who produces the bottle that beer is sold in when discussing booze addicts.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

I think you need to understand what the "NCAA"is....

You say, "University presidents will let NCAA screw with its athletes.."------ Those "university presidents" are what make up the NCAA. They are the NCAA.

University Presidents--- from Florida State to USC to Oregon--- vote on, approve, and hire--- the leadership of the NCAA.

Real change on any level HAS to be approved by the same university presidents you're talking about.

The NCAA can only P-R-O-P-O-S-E legislation---- they DO NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY to pass it into membership law.

It is the University Presidents and Athletic Directors who have the power. The problems begin and end with them.

It isn't the NCAA who tried to stop a 1-A Playoff. It was the Presidents and AD's who wanted to keep the money flowing from the bowl system.

Blaming the NCAA for all these problems is like blaming the company who produces the bottle that beer is sold in when discussing booze addicts.
    You missed my whole point. The University presidents WILL let the NCAA keep athletics in balance, but they won't let anybody tell them what to do with their educational ability to research, raise money, or grow enrollment. Each school wants that to be their decision, and could care less about competitive balance, yet will go out of their way to make sure the athletics don't get out of hand. The college presidents wouldn't let anyone tell them how much to pay their professors, nor put a limit on how much you can donate to the school, yet will pay someone to make sure an athlete can not get bought a burger by a coach. Go figure.
    Last edited by seaborneq; 03-28-14 at 11:28 AM.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    Betpoints: 1012

The Northwestern plumbing and pipefitting teams are going to win all the championships.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    The Northwestern plumbing and pipefitting teams are going to win all the championships.
    The football team will suck still.

jarvol
    Betpoints: 3670

The NCAA funnels nearly all of the $$ it makes back to the schools you dumbfucks.

I'm not saying they are needed but to imsinuate they are keeping $billions is idiotic. That $ pays for lesser sports programs, the awesome facilities, food, trainers, tutors, transportation, not to mention a $200k education.

Nobody is forced to go play sports in college.....

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by jarvol View Post
    The NCAA funnels nearly all of the $$ it makes back to the schools you dumbfucks.

I'm not saying they are needed but to imsinuate they are keeping $billions is idiotic. That $ pays for lesser sports programs, the awesome facilities, food, trainers, tutors, transportation, not to mention a $200k education.

If college presidents are supposed to be brilliant, why can't they be responsible for it? They are in charge of budgeting state funding and endowments, but can't handle money for the student athletes. Give me a break. So the President can do what is best for the student body monetarily(up to 45k students), faculty and support staff, but not the less than 300 or so student athletes who actually bring in money to the school? Are you serious?
    Last edited by seaborneq; 03-28-14 at 12:35 PM.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5689

Quote Originally Posted by jarvol View Post

At the schools that play big time football/basketball, more often than not the highest paid employee is the head coach. That should tell you something. Players aren't on 4 year deals, their scholarships are a series of 1 year deals. New coach hired, new recruit comes in they like better, player gets hurt, whatever, scholarship can an often is rescinded. Player blows out knee, hurts back, whatever, football ends medical care ends. Coach leaves for another school (translated more money), no biggee. Player transfers, must sit out a year. Player can't make a dime off his own likeness, school can make millions. In no other walk of life is this considered an equitable deal. Part of going to college is learning how the real world works. Looks they some of them get it.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

The NCAA is considering allowing its athletes to endorse products without compromising their amateur status, Big East commissioner Val Ackerman told Sports Illustrated on Friday.

“That’s one that’s actually under consideration I believe by the NCAA,” Ackerman said. “It’s actually a time right now where student athlete interests are being closely examined. I don’t have an answer for you on that one today but I will say that and a number of other topics are under review, and I think rightly by the NCAA and it’s very possible that over the course of the next year or two as these these ideas work their way through the legislative system you could see changes.”

That would be the most significant re-definition of amateurism in NCAA history. The NCAA has never allowed athletes to receive compensation beyond a scholarship and small stipend for living expenses from the school they attend.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/04/09/the...-endorsements/

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Nigel Hayes is going to war with the NCAA over pay for play.