Login Search

Texas Going w/ Mora?

Last Post

OK...I'm gonna ask...What the Hell has Jim Mora Jr done in coaching? Seriously? He was 31-33 in the NFL.lost in the NFC title game..19-8 in College....1-1 in Bowls which were the Holiday and Sun...nothing stellar...no Pac 12 titles etc. So exactly what is the huge attraction that Texas sees in him? What do you guys see in him?

I think the NFL could go either way. He was good and bad. In college though, he took a UCLA program that wasn't really that great and did a little recruiting and stole some players away from USC and did pretty decent.

Here's my thinking:

Texas is looking at what he did in a conference that he had NO SHOT of competing on the big stage. Kids from SoCal are going to USC, hands down. Kids from NoCal are going to Stanford if they're smart and going to Oregon if they're fast. I think Mora landed some pretty good talent in Westwood and got the most out of his team this season. Considering all of the top tier coaches are staying put, he might be the best option. If Texas doesn't act fast, one of the better college coaches that don't have long term deals might be jumping to the NFL or heading elsewhere. I think it's a quality hire for UT. It might take a couple years for him to really recruit, but if they stick with him, I bet they'll be successful

The Problem any coach will have in Austin is...Longhorn fans aren't going to be patient if they get smacked around by Baylor, OU, and Okla St in the interim. I agree with you, if he's given the time he'd definitely be able to put a program together. But, just like Bill O'Brien at Penn State, I believe that Mora's true intentions are back in the NFL and that college is just a stepping stone until he gets another shot

I believe that Mora's true intentions are back in the NFL and that college is just a stepping stone until he gets another shot

Very good call here. I never really thought of that and most coaches don't go to UT to head to the NFL. UT is usually the last stop LOL.

It should be interesting to see what happens. I'm hoping that Mora has found a niche in the college ranks and will stay and thrive at UT, if he ends up there.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
I believe that Mora's true intentions are back in the NFL and that college is just a stepping stone until he gets another shot

Very good call here. I never really thought of that and most coaches don't go to UT to head to the NFL. UT is usually the last stop LOL.

It should be interesting to see what happens. I'm hoping that Mora has found a niche in the college ranks and will stay and thrive at UT, if he ends up there.
Nah man I'm with ya...I'm just talking my brother off a ledge at Penn State right now...the whole O'Brien thing is a mess. The Joe Bots really made it a mess there for him during his 2 years. Anyone who thought O'Brien was going to stay at PSU was smoking crack, and I've been telling him I think Coach O Ed Orgeron would be awesome at Penn State. But the dopes there seem to think that Schiano or Al Golden are the answers to their issues

O'Brien didn't stand a chance in the aftermath of what happened. I say that because O'Brien isn't a "YES" man. He's going to speak his mind and sure as shit, that's what happened. I don't blame him for lashing out to that reporter. The guy was handed 7-2 offsuit and made the absolute best he could of the situation. Plus, he did all that with most of the boosters and fans 100% Joe Bots and against him. He said it best at the end of his rant with that reporter (summed up like this)

"All I care about are the kids. I care if they graduate, I care what kind of people they are and become. Fukk the Joe Bots"

That's perfect and he's a great coach and guy for saying that. I have a new found respect for him after what he said and what he stood up for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
For PSU yes...they can't be picky...they need someone to energize the fans, students, etc. They've got a big problem there...ask any player etc at USC what they think of him then you'll have your answer
he can recruit and players love him but he sucks as a coach

i also tend to think he's a crook based on what ive heard down here in sec country but thats speculation on my part

Do we not realize how this game works ... the majority of the time when big programs or big teams in the pros are seeking a new coach, names get "leaked" to either appease boosters or the fan base and make the job likely look more intriguing that it is. Oh Jim Mora wants it? Well hell, it must be good! Nick Saban wants it? You get the drift.

A few years ago Texas was a destination stop ... right now even though they have a ton of cash to throw around, they have not been a premiere program in almost half a dozen years. AD Steve Patterson needs to make the job look more attractive, so any name that people think might jump ship is thrown about - some might truly have touched based, but I would guess a lot of it is total bullshit.