Login Search

Big congrads to Obama backers and all Democrats

Last Post

I would hope Republicans moderate their social stances including immigration. Who in their right mind would even think of the words "self deportation"? I am personally against abortion but I darn sure don't want to see it made illegal. So as far as change goes I think the Republicans need to moderate their social stances.

Republicans need to fight to the death for economic prosperity for all. Bush Sr lost an election because he said No new taxes and then compromised with democrats. Republicans as the minority party are afforded constitutional rights and if they do not stand for sound financial management of the country they should be held accountable and voted out.

SBR_John, granted this is coming from a Canadian, I feel compelled to let you know my non-biased view on what I see external to your country.

First you say this:

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
Should be interesting to see if there can be some compromise in Washington.
Then you say this:

I personally don't think there is a problem. I would rather lose than compromise my core believes which is we should not spend money we don't have and we need to align our tax rates to the rest of the world.

The real problem is the Democrats have convinced folks its ok to run up trillion dollar deficits and there is no paying the piper. The electorate is not holding their president accountable.

The Republicans have a majority in the House, enough in the Senate to kill reckless spending and something like 30 Governors. You don't make wholesale changes because an incumbent president is re-elected with 50.2% of the popular vote.
It is very strange to me that in one statement, you want compromise and the second statement you declare you will not compromise.

Also to me, it really seems hypocritical that you complain about the deficit that Obama ran up when he was left with an economy in shambles and two wars that were not budgeted for.

There is no question that Obama could have done a better job in his first term but it is not as bad as you imply.

In my opinion, compromise takes two parties that have some level of trust and have a joint interest to succeed for the greater good...

I imagine I will get ripped by the "Fox News" types for this post from a "foreigner" but Canadians are greatly affected by what happens in the US and therefore we have a vested interest in your country doing well!

I would hope Republicans moderate their social stances including immigration. Who in their right mind would even think of the words "self deportation"?.
The former bishop of a racist church. The guy with a track record for dismantling companies, sending jobs to sweatshop legal countries & calling himself a job creator. The guy who demands 10 years of tax returns from opponents and VP nominees, but refuses to even release 2 full years of his own...all the while claiming he'll fix what's wrong with taxes.

The guy so out of touch with financial reality for most families, that he thinks the reasons students apply for education loans is because they haven't asked their parents for the money.

Who thinks up words like "self deportation"...a guy with a dancing horse. That's who.
Give Points

Points Awarded:

ACoochy gave muldoon 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

My takes:

1) Republican Party has basically become a party of white, religious zealots, rural, and poorly educated males with all its political power concentrated in the deep South and the fly over states (i.e. Rust Belt region).

2) If the Republican Party ever wants to become relevant again it needs to talk more about fiscal conservatism, small government, and limiting taxes. Republicans should stop with the social issues and cut the fanatical anti-illegal immigrant rhetoric from their campaigns. On almost every social issue throughout the history of this great country, Republicans (e.g. political conservatives) have been on the wrong side of history.

3) Anyone who stayed up and saw the Romney concession speech could not help but notice that the audience was basically all white. Anyone who stayed up even later and saw Obama's victory speech saw how truly diverse the audience was. That audience truly reflected America. There is no way that the current Republican Party can sustain itself with the changing demographics. Republican Party has to have much better outreach programs and policies that are not perceived as favoring the wealthy all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeShea View Post
In the original post John applauds the heavy participation levels in the election and expresses hope that two sides can work together.

Then you pop in to ask questions framed to make him seem like a one-sided jerk unless he agrees with you.

It's right there in black and white: that is who SBRJohn is today, that is who SamDiamond is today. If we had an SBR election on who could use a serious attitude adjustment I think it would be a one-sided affair.
Get off the guys nuts sheman.

Can't ask a fukkin question without someone hugging the nut.

Unreal

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBear View Post
My takes:

1) Republican Party has basically become a party of white, religious zealots, rural, and poorly educated males with all its political power concentrated in the deep South and the fly over states (i.e. Rust Belt region).

2) If the Republican Party ever wants to become relevant again it needs to talk more about fiscal conservatism, small government, and limiting taxes. Republicans should stop with the social issues and cut the fanatical anti-illegal immigrant rhetoric from their campaigns. On almost every social issue throughout the history of this great country, Republicans (e.g. political conservatives) have been on the wrong side of history.

3) Anyone who stayed up and saw the Romney concession speech could not help but notice that the audience was basically all white. Anyone who stayed up even later and saw Obama's victory speech saw how truly diverse the audience was. That audience truly reflected America. There is no way that the current Republican Party can sustain itself with the changing demographics. Republican Party has to have much better outreach programs and policies that are not perceived as favoring the wealthy all the time.
Well the Democrats were on the wrong side of the biggest social issue in US history. The South was a Democrat majority during the civil rights movement, with Southern democrats most fiercely resisting the civil rights act of 64

Quote Originally Posted by jwater View Post
Well the Democrats were on the wrong side of the biggest social issue in US history. The South was a Democrat majority during the civil rights movement, with Southern democrats most fiercely resisting the civil rights act of 64
I would STRONGLY suggest taking a course on US history and familiarizing yourself with even the most basic facts. You do realize that the only similarity between the Republican Party of the 1860s and the 2010s is the name Republican Party. If you are not aware yet, basically the Republican Party and Democratic Party have flip-flopped the past century. If Abe Lincoln was alive, it is almost a certainty he would not be a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by jwater View Post
The civil rights movement occurred in the 1960's not the 1860's...
Have you finished high school yet? Did you not see why I put (political conservatives) in parentheses? Do you know that Democrats and Republicans are just labels for an ideology/political philosophy. Let me explain it to you carefully. The Republican Party, in its inception, was a renegade third party that was by today's standards liberal. The Democratic Party was the more established and politically conservative of the two. The two parties have essentially flip-flopped.

Does it not even dawn on you why all minority groups align themselves with the Democratic Party?

LOL Republican Party is responsible for ending slavery. Try a group of hard core liberal abolitionists are responsible.

There are 0 social issues that political conservatives succeed in. History is filled with the social issue failures of political conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerDog99 View Post
SBR_John, granted this is coming from a Canadian, I feel compelled to let you know my non-biased view on what I see external to your country.

First you say this:

Then you say this:

It is very strange to me that in one statement, you want compromise and the second statement you declare you will not compromise.

Also to me, it really seems hypocritical that you complain about the deficit that Obama ran up when he was left with an economy in shambles and two wars that were not budgeted for.

There is no question that Obama could have done a better job in his first term but it is not as bad as you imply.

In my opinion, compromise takes two parties that have some level of trust and have a joint interest to succeed for the greater good...

I imagine I will get ripped by the "Fox News" types for this post from a "foreigner" but Canadians are greatly affected by what happens in the US and therefore we have a vested interest in your country doing well!
We did not elect a majority of Republicans to the House for compromises that leads the country into bankruptcy and economic collapse. You missed my point about our Constitutional rights as the minority party. It is the Democrats that MUST compromise if they ever want to pass a budget. It's either that or they must win a majority in the House which they did not do. Their only other alternative is to pass a constitutional amendment or declare the republic a monarchy or stage a coup.

The point is when you hear about compromise keep in mind they are the majority. They MUST negotiate with the minority, the Republicans, or face stalemate. They refuse to and would rather pretend they don't need to. Every president has had to. Reagan did both Bush's and certainly Clinton did. As I said they have to, they don't have a choice.