Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Kevin Sumlin Just Signed His Death Warrant

The man had the opportunity to stay with Houston, and potentially go to a BCS game every year from the Big East. Instead, he goes to Texas A&M, who couldn't challenge in the Big 12, let alone the SEC. He'll be unemployed within 3 years.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

not a good move!

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

how is it now a good move, of course its a good move for him.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm

yes it is a good move for him but the sec is basically a step down nfl......how he going to compete in the sec west?

Dank_Fire
    Dank_Fire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5453

Houston's football program is going down the drain quick once case leaves, SEC is defiantly a good career move for Sumlin

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Houston is building a new 40,000-50,000 seat stadium for the team. They are showing commitment to the program. Sumlin could have built something great there, similar to what Kansas St and Virginia Tech did. Instead, he's just another coach who took the money from a school moving to a torture chamber of a conference. Should have stayed as a big fish in a little pond, instead of an ocean full of sharks.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

He is a one demensional coach. Offense willbe fine, defense will be dismal, will be a studio analyst in 4 years.

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Actually there is plenty of people who think the Big East will not get an automatic qualifier when this current contract expiries.

So Houston may be at its very limit.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm

he could have been king in houston....but want to go to college station! texas a&m need to lower it's expectation and remember who they are
    U of T little !@#$%!!!!

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 488

Terrible hire for a&m.

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    The man had the opportunity to stay with Houston, and potentially go to a BCS game every year from the Big East. Instead, he goes to Texas A&M, who couldn't challenge in the Big 12, let alone the SEC. He'll be unemployed within 3 years.
    I'm sure his increased paycheck will help to lessen the blow of abandoning Houston...

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Just what A&M needs...all offense and no defense.....how is that different from Sherman?

Qualia
    Qualia's Avatar Become A Pro!

Called it! Wait...

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    He is a one demensional coach. Offense willbe fine, defense will be dismal, will be a studio analyst in 4 years.
    WOW. that was an extremely funny, and incorrect statement.

Machine Choice
    Machine Choice's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2736

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    Called it! Wait...
    LOL! Good find.

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

this is a funny thread.

turbozed
    turbozed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

Nice thread resurrection.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Wait your first post is to bump this?

Who's ghost are you

Tt is that you?

MrBig33
    MrBig33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 997

This is extremely funny and why most people on this board are nuts lol...eating crow much? lol

MrBig33

Houston is building a new 40,000-50,000 seat stadium for the team. They are showing commitment to the program. Sumlin could have built something great there, similar to what Kansas St and Virginia Tech did. Instead, he's just another coach who took the money from a school moving to a torture chamber of a conference. Should have stayed as a big fish in a little pond, instead of an ocean full of sharks.

Damn you look like a big ol dummy now dont you? LOL...what a joke.

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

mr big , when klc made this thread he did not realize A&M would have a freshman qb winning all the games for his coach, its def. not the coach

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Nice bump

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Love the Monday morning quarterbacks here with 200 posts that have never been wrong before in their lives. I had a guy with 36 posts named abcdef private message me about this. Look, being a Houston Cougar fan, I'm happy for Sumlin. What he has done this year is plain awesome. This team this year is probably their best team since their old SWC days.

The problem is that everyone dishing me is basing this on one season. My original point was that he could have done it consistently in Houston, year after year. Texas A&M has not had a consistently solid program for decades now. Throw in that they have to do this in the SEC instead of the Big 12, and I think Coach Sumlin has a giant hill to climb. I hope he does it. I really do, but I would not be shocked if the wheels fall off after Johnny Manziel leaves.

Ask Gene Chizik how his life is right now. He looked like God's gift to football just 2 years ago. Remember Gerry DiNardo and Mike Archer at LSU? Fans thought they brought them back to the promised land, then the wheels came off. Sumlin's had one good season. I'm sure there are many more SEC stories I could bring up, but don't have the time to do it.

Enjoy the "I told you so's" right now. I just hope if the wheels fall off 2-3 years from now that you kids will use the same energy to resurrect this thread and admit that old Mr KLC might have just been right after all.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gotta admit you do look kinda foolish right about now though right? Doubtful the wheels fall off after johnny football how hard is it to find a QB in texas.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by nosniboR11 View Post
    mr big , when klc made this thread he did not realize A&M would have a freshman qb winning all the games for his coach, its def. not the coach
    yeah this freshman came up with the system they run, gameplans, and calls all the plays they dont call him johnny football for nothing .

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6446

The guy's been in coaching for 24 years, including stints at A&M and Oklahoma before becoming head coach at Houston. Think he's paid his dues. Not a coach alive who wouldn't leave a good school (Houston) for a school with unlimited resources and membership in an elite conference. Recruiting in-state against Texas/Oklahoma for blue chip players with the promise of playing in the Big East vs playing in the SEC? No-brainer. He may end up Gene Chizik, he may end up Chip Kelly. Time will tell, but so far so good.

MrBig33

Love the Monday morning quarterbacks here with 200 posts that have never been wrong before in their lives. I had a guy with 36 posts named abcdef private message me about this. Look, being a Houston Cougar fan, I'm happy for Sumlin. What he has done this year is plain awesome. This team this year is probably their best team since their old SWC days.

The problem is that everyone dishing me is basing this on one season. My original point was that he could have done it consistently in Houston, year after year. Texas A&M has not had a consistently solid program for decades now. Throw in that they have to do this in the SEC instead of the Big 12, and I think Coach Sumlin has a giant hill to climb. I hope he does it. I really do, but I would not be shocked if the wheels fall off after Johnny Manziel leaves.

Ask Gene Chizik how his life is right now. He looked like God's gift to football just 2 years ago. Remember Gerry DiNardo and Mike Archer at LSU? Fans thought they brought them back to the promised land, then the wheels came off. Sumlin's had one good season. I'm sure there are many more SEC stories I could bring up, but don't have the time to do it.

Enjoy the "I told you so's" right now. I just hope if the wheels fall off 2-3 years from now that you kids will use the same energy to resurrect this thread and admit that old Mr KLC might have just been right after all.

Stop back tracking and admit you were wrong. No way to spin it really....And why would the wheels fall off for Sumlin? Wheels can fall off for any coach right? Also why would he "stay" at Houston over A&M? Only a moron would have turned them down. Sumlin deserves some credit for turning that program around....BTW it doesnt matter how many post you have...just because you have thousands of post means nothing trust me! Just sounded like a few of you "wanted" him to fail for some reason.....

MrBig33

Quote Originally Posted by nosniboR11 View Post

Another dummy I see...so I guess all these wins go on the QB's shoulder right? Sumlin deserves some credit as well his coaching staff.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by MrBig33 View Post
    Stop back tracking and admit you were wrong. No way to spin it really....And why would the wheels fall off for Sumlin? Wheels can fall off for any coach right? Also why would he "stay" at Houston over A&M? Only a moron would have turned them down. Sumlin deserves some credit for turning that program around....BTW it doesnt matter how many post you have...just because you have thousands of post means nothing trust me! Just sounded like a few of you "wanted" him to fail for some reason.....

If he's still on top of the world 3 years from now, I'll bump this thread and admit I'm wrong. Won't be the first time I'm wrong if that happens. The reason I'm such a skeptic is because I've watched this program for my entire football life since I was raised in Texas in the 1970's. They haven't had a conference championship in over a decade, despite the fact that they have such great resources. If A&M had stayed in the Big 12, I would have liked his chances exponentially a lot more.

MrBig33

If he's still on top of the world 3 years from now, I'll bump this thread and admit I'm wrong. Won't be the first time I'm wrong if that happens. The reason I'm such a skeptic is because I've watched this program for my entire football life since I was raised in Texas in the 1970's. They haven't had a conference championship in over a decade, despite the fact that they have such great resources. If A&M had stayed in the Big 12, I would have liked his chances exponentially a lot more.

He isnt on top of the world right now so that doesnt really matter. What matters is that his team just beat the best the SEC has to offer...should have beaten the second best in LSU...also played florida pretty damn tough. Sumlin isnt going anywhere..his system is brilliant...he will keep plugging in guys and winning. Dont worry about bumping this thread you were already proved to be wrong with the season he has had so far.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

As far as the post thing, no, I don't trust you. Its a matter of showing respect. I'm not saying that you are illiterate with sports. The point I'm making is that if people are going to take you seriously here, bad mouthing long time posters is not the way to do it. Disagreeing with them is not bad, but calling them dummies and attempting to show them up will tune more posters out, instead of getting their attention.
    Last edited by Mr KLC; 11-15-12 at 07:37 PM.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by MrBig33 View Post
    He isnt on top of the world right now so that doesnt really matter. What matters is that his team just beat the best the SEC has to offer...should have beaten the second best in LSU...also played florida pretty damn tough. Sumlin isnt going anywhere..his system is brilliant...he will keep plugging in guys and winning. Dont worry about bumping this thread you were already proved to be wrong with the season he has had so far.
    There is now a season's worth of SEC film on him also. We'll see.

MrBig33

There is now a season's worth of SEC film on him also. We'll see.

Yes they have film on him...big deal. They had film on his system from Houston..its the exact same thing. So that theory holds no water...he will start to get better recruits now as well. Remember you said in your opening post that he would be unemployed in 3 years....that is 100% incorrect.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6446

I think the reaction to the thread is due in part to the over the top title, "Signed his Death Warrant". Little extreme and invites extreme reactions. The same way "stone cold lock" threads get hammered. You may very well be right (don't agree but one never knows), but the guy's a really good coach and there's no arguing the fact he will get more top notch recruits playing in the SEC than the Big East. Take if from someone who lives in USF's backyard.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Texas A&M Aggies head coach Kevin Sumlin enters the 2017 season coming off a string of three consecutive 8-5 finishes. The team has failed to finish above .500 inside the conference since 2012, Sumlin’s first year as head coach, and that lack of dominance has sparked rumors that Sumlin’s job could be on the line if he fails to win — and win big — this upcoming year.

“Nobody puts more pressure on me than I put on myself and nobody wants to win more than I want to,” said Sumlin during SEC Media Day in Hoover, Ala., per ESPN. “Whatever’s said, whatever the conversation, whatever’s written, it’s not going to affect how I do my job. It’s not going to affect my day-to-day operation.”

Sumlin worked for the Aggies from 2001-02, before taking over the head coaching job for the school in 2012 and leading them to an 11-2 record. He has three years remaining on his contract as head coach of the program, with a buyout clause in his contract that would force A&M to fork over a hefty chunk of $10 million just to rid him after the 2017 year.

“We’re not giving any excuses, and that starts with me,” Sumlin said. “We want to be a top-10 team. We want to be a championship team. The things that we’ve done … to figure out how to get to that next level, we’re doing.

“My job is to fix it. It’s not about talking about it. The biggest sign in our building says ‘no excuses’ and it’s our job to get it fixed, and that’s what we’re doing.”

12 Last