Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 420

Does The NCAA Change Think About Changing The Rules Now

For the last couple of years, these unknown mid major teams are now sneaking into the Elite 8/Final 4. I think the NCAA has to consider a mandatory 2-3 year stay at a school before a player can become pro, like baseball does. I like seeing the small schools make it to the Final 4, but if this keeps up, it could potentially kill their ratings. How many people are actually going to watch Butler-VCU?

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

They are going to have a BCS system.

So we can have a Kansas vs OSU final.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Great post

I think they might

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Nobody is forcing the big schools to recruit one and done players.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by jarvol View Post

FrozenMAN
    2020 Big Ten CHAMPS!
    FrozenMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4112

that's why its more of a revolving door then ever nowadays and if a team can find some mid level studs that will stay for all 4 years, they could have a dynasty on their hands

ManBearPig
    ManBearPig's Avatar Become A Pro!

Really?? Why should anyone be doing anything to help the big schools just so they can get into the final 4...this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. They don't deserve preferential treatment just because people don't like it when the little guy goes from cinderella to Queen and ruins it for everyone who just wants to see the big name teams. They recruit at a higher level and get enough perks as it is...if they can't win that's not the rules committee's problem.

This is what makes CBB so great in that the any team (that makes the field) can actually has a legit chance to win this thing and the so called BCS schools aren't protected by the sham that is known as the BCS system.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jarvol View Post
    That's true, but if one big school doesn't take them, another one will. Schools with the resources are not going to downgrade the talent they recruit just to have a better chance of keeping them for 2-3 more years. TV ratings are going to be down on Saturday for at least one of the games, and potentially for the Finals on Monday. I don't think they will allow this to continue.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by ManBearPig View Post
    Really?? Why should anyone be doing anything to help the big schools just so they can get into the final 4...this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. They don't deserve preferential treatment just because people don't like it when the little guy goes from cinderella to Queen and ruins it for everyone who just wants to see the big name teams. They recruit at a higher level and get enough perks as it is...if they can't win that's not the rules committee's problem.

This is what makes CBB so great in that the any team (that makes the field) can actually has a legit chance to win this thing and the so called BCS schools aren't protected by the sham that is known as the BCS system.
    Again, ratings will tell the story. If they are high, I'm on the wrong side of this argument, but if they slide, watch out for at least some talk about it. I mean really, would you have been interested in watching a Butler-VCU game 2-3 weeks ago?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I think you mean the NBA has to change the rules since they are the employer. The NCAA can do nothing about a player dropping out of school.

beermankirk
    beermankirk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 885

I enjoy 19 and 20 year olds in the nba, keep them coming. Also relegate Division 1 schools to Division 2 if they suck, similar to soccer.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Why hate on the small schools, I love this.

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Two things that major sports leagues want. 1. An air that any team in any year could win it. 2. One team that is dominant in talent or in a big market.

NCAA tourney is designed for Cinderellas. One and dones are good that way. Get hot at the right time and your team can make it. VCU is a prime example of this.

Butler is a different beast. They are an example of adapting to this new NCAA terrain. With the one and dones in college basketball, the major team's like Duke, Carolina, Kansas, and etc have to rebuild every year and hope that just talent can carry them thru. Butler has proved that a system, effort, and players that plan on staying for a few years can overcome the mercenary one and dones of the majors.

This years tourney is the sure sign that momentum is everything. Uconn with one star player got hot at the right time. VCU got hot...Butler used experience to steer the course.

Here to the mid majors and their ability to adapt faster than the big boys to the changing NCAA terrain

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

its going to be a great game..............basketball fans will watch---**** the rest

ManBearPig
    ManBearPig's Avatar Become A Pro!

I understand the ratings argument and believe that in college football they are more of a driving force than in CBB because football is just bigger period. I really don't think the big names drive the money bus in CBB as much as they do in football and thus a little parity is actually good for the game. This big guy must make it because they draw more viewership argument in college hoops is ridiculous IMO and once again again is another example of the tail is wagging the dog, which one of the reasons CFB is a joke. Everyone likes to see the underdog (whatever that means now) but doesn't like when they actually achieve the unachievable.

I'm just one person with an opinion that most people don't like because I don't favor the money or the ratings...I prefer equality and the best teams should have to prove themselves in the end.

KKoz9
    KKoz9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    I think you mean the NBA has to change the rules since they are the employer. The NCAA can do nothing about a player dropping out of school.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Ratings are going to skyrocket regardless

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Big names dont rule the roost because of the players that come and play for one or at most two years. Give me a team that tries hard, has good talent, plays in a system, and knows its role. Butler is an example of this

Petenana15
    Petenana15's Avatar Become A Pro!

two really high seeds playing each other in final four = huge ratings

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Again, ratings will tell the story. If they are high, I'm on the wrong side of this argument, but if they slide, watch out for at least some talk about it. I mean really, would you have been interested in watching a Butler-VCU game 2-3 weeks ago?
    Overnight ratings are in:

CBS drew a 8.3 fast-national TV rating for Butler’s win over VCU, which translates into 8.3% of U.S. TV households — down 3% from last year’s comparable coverage of a Butler-Michigan State game last year.

On its later Connecticut-Kentucky game, CBS drew 9.5%. That’s up 3% from coverage of Duke’s semi-final win over West Virginia last year.

If there was a big name going against one underdog in the first game, I believe both games would have been higher. 3% is not a major dropoff, though.

MB
    MB's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm a fan, **** ratings. I watched VCU Butler but wasn't into UK UConn. I love rooting for the mid majors if my Bruins aren't in it. I know I'm in the vast minority