Originally posted on 10/18/2019:

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
I want to ask what I need to get involved in the other side of the game down the road.

But I know that’s a book response, and plus it’s probably unrealistic so don’t want to waste your time. I see they have all these new platforms where can you buy in groups for as low as $100 lol. I saw 125 people on tv at Belmont last week hoping to get their picture taken with prob 1/100000 of a share.

I would imagine it would simply start in the claiming game, being of low means.

But it’s not like I can put a claim in (win the drawing) that is how it works if multiple trying to claim right?

Then pick up the phone and call up some of favorite trainers lol

And clearly I would need license , a barn , Employees , or would the trainer handle that?

You know I’m not as dumb as I sound right now,

but down the road , I’d love nothing more to be involved in.

Maybe strike a few good claimers for a few years, and buy a few yearlings couple years down road
All of this starts with where you live being as I assume you would want to be directly involved in order to experience the game itself. By that I mean, go to the barn in the morning some. Feed the horse some carrots. See and feel the game behind the scenes. Meet the grooms, hot walkers, exercise riders, trainer, and FEEL the game.

Second, affordability. You have to decide how much money to set aside for the horse.

From all that I have heard, I would NOT suggest one of those large partnerships. I have seen the letters they blast out to all the people that own into a syndicate and quite frankly, they are mostly filled with B.S. and 1/2 truths or phony nonsense, none of which put a nickel into your pocket. They get everyone's hopes up, and IMO, are mostly crap . I say mostly because I have to think that somewhere, they are genuine. But the ones I have read are pathetic, but you would not know that without knowing the game from the inside, which is nothing like what you know from the outside.
Many of these syndicates buy multiple horses at the yearling sales, get them home, spend some time with them, and cull the ones that do not stand out into these partnerships. No, that does not happen every time, but trusting a complete stranger with your money rarely works well right? Heck, you know me better than you will know them. I would not recommend that at all.

I would say to have enough to claim a horse. I would stay far away from any baby.

If you want to pursue that, I can find you a trainer that you will have a shot with if you like, especially in Maryland. But I would definitely do it where you can go and visit the horse, trainer and barn area on a Saturday or something like that. I think I know you well enough to know that you want to learn about the backside as much as own a horse. Maybe I'm wrong, if so, please tell me.