Originally posted on 08/30/2018:

update

Next Steps

Journal entry by Mindy McBride — 1 hour ago
Good morning!

Last night went well. Andy broke his fever around 11:00pm and was taken off the hydro blanket protocol. Andy was able to remain stable with his oxygen, heart rate and blood pressure with medical therapy and an induced coma. The ICU team just completed rounds and they are continuing to look at other options- they are testing for West Nile and Tick Borne diseases. Although they are continuing to look for answers they will still remain with the treatment for guillain barre syndrome. Today, Andy should start plasmamapheresis (Plasmapheresis is a process in which the liquid part of the blood, or plasma, is separated from the blood cells. The plasma will be treated and then returned to his body) and be removed from the IGIV medical treatment. The doctors are tweaking his oxygen due to his blood draw and trying to keep his blood pressure stable with meds. They are also treating him for pneumonia as he as a small portion they are concerned about in one of his lungs, this will help to be proactive as well. Today they will lighten up his sedation to see how he is doing, test his strength and then they will put him back under.

The Neuro team was in as well and spoke about how bad his nervous system is and how he remains in critical care. They spoke about the cardio team following his heart due to the arrhythmia that is effecting his blood pressure. When we start the plasmamapheresis we will remain cautious of his heart function.

He will also be tubal fed today! Andy is a foodie so I am sure he will be excited for the amazing hospital food! Well on a lighter note, I did have an amazing hospital brisket yesterday, I mean it wasn't as good as Andy's but for hospital food it was good!

We are praying to find all the answers to what is causing his medical conditions. His condition is more complex than a 'typical' case of GBS Guillain Barre Syndrome and multiple teams are working together to help get him healthy.