Originally posted on 04/21/2018:

Hello guys. My first chance to post my own thoughts. I spent the day with the family. It started out as you could imagine. Heartbreak and tears. But slowly it morphed into something else. Story telling, memories, and thoughts about the man that Dave was. And it provided comfort for those of us that were there. And especially for the family. The outpouring from people who knew him well, to those that just knew him in this forum was simply amazing. And I want to pass it along that the sentiments shared here truly did give comfort. Especially to his mom. To see the way that her son was revered truly mattered. She also took solace in the fact he was doing something that he loved, something that was done for the service of others. The amount of time and effort that he put into this forum may truly never be matched again. So we all were a part of something special. Dave was a people person. And loved it. And he showed that it was possible to have a constructive dialog on the Internet, in an age when it is oh so rare. And I take pride in the fact that I was a part of that. And others should too. From music, to food, to philosophy even. This column was much more than a betting column. It was the first thing I did every morning. And truthfully, I have felt like a rudderless boat for the last week. Just drifting along. Luckily, efforts to try and find Dave helped keep me going. But he has departed from this earth. And we lost a great one. But celebrating the memories, no matter how small will help. So I'm gonna focus on that aspect. Just know that he didn't suffer. And like I said, he was doing something he loved. Visiting his "old friends in high places" as he would say. The bristlecone pine tree. The oldest living thing on this planet. I know the family is so greatful for all the thoughts and prayers for a safe return. And extremely thankful to all the people who chipped in with the gofundme. It truly was an amazing show of support and a testament to the person that Dave was. He will be sorely missed. Talks of a memorial service are still in the early stages. So I can update anybody who wants to know about it. Thanks again guys. God bless...

Jake