Originally posted on 07/02/2017:

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
Dane, I'm just posting food for thought.
Tat made a true comment that this thread would have had more validity a decade ago. I never gave poker a 2nd thought until last few years. Part of me wishes I would have NEVER given poker a 2nd thought.
Poker is best treated as a casual hobby for the vast majority of people. Just my opinion...If you're smart enough to succeed at poker, you are smart enough to succeed at other ventures in life and the time you spend on poker can usually be better spent concentrating on something else. There are exceptions. You really have to enjoy the game and be able to emotionally survive the bad runs and flat lining for it to be worthwhile. It can be a nice income supplement and it's pretty damn cool to say you play poker for a living or even a semi pro, but money can't buy happiness and it can't buy time.

That said, I think the US has another poker boom in it if we can get it legalized. Right now it's just a hassle to play the game in most states. The player pool is much more educated than it was 10 years ago. Team that with a shitty environment for poker players and ya it's probably more relevant 10 years ago. Doesn't mean you can't get good stuff from it tho