Originally posted on 08/14/2016:

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
I pay for 200mbps and get 20 over wifi and maybe 70 connected. I ain't payin for 300 until this shit gets fixed which will likely require the provider to upgrade their lines and me to upgrade my equipment.
If you are paying for 200MB, then you definitely need to upgrade your equipment. The issue is that your wifi is only capable of 2.4GHZ so your max speed will only be 54MB with zero interference(impossible by the way) so 20-30 is about right. You are getting 70MB connected because your port is only capable of 100MB and you will lose some speed due to cable attenuation(loss of signal depending on cable). I would recommend a Cat6 ethernet cable

Cisco purchased linksys awhile back and I would recommend the Cisco router/switch. You can get a gigabit(wired) and 802.11ac(wireless) combined device for around $100 especially if you are paying for 200MB.

you definitely want to be on the 5GHz for wireless(less interference and faster speeds). The 2.4GHz frequency is what a majority of households are using so if you are in a condo/apartment you are fighting for airspace with everyone around you. Microwaves and bluetooth devices are on the 2.4 as well so more interference.

hope this helps