Originally posted on 07/30/2014:

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
The scary thing about this post is that you actually believe in what you say. You obviously have no idea of how to measure talent. You totally overlook the fact that Navy is extremely weak on Defense, especially up the middle, with no ILB's or Safeties to speak of. Navy also has no WR's returning. The entire secret of Navy's success is their ability to rotate their players. That rotation is severely hampered on defense now. It will take time for Navy to gather enough experience to be able to have a successful rotation. Game one is not nearly enough time to do so.

Ohio State has QB Miller returning and he is far sperior to anyone that Navy has played recently. Ohio State also has a ton of speed retuning at the WR positions, and many more speedsters at the RB position. The DL is one of the best in the nation. Navy can not compete with that type of talent.

Last season, Navy gave up 35 or more points to Indiana, Duke, Toledo, Notre Dame, and San Jose State. The year before last, they gave up 30 or more to Notre Dame, Penn State, Indiana, Troy, and Arizona State. All of those games except one were played away from home. Nvy plays BOTH Ohio State and Notre Dame away from home. I will be suprised if Ohio State does not put up at least 42 against the Navy, and that is way more than they need to win this game. Ohio State is going for a Playoff spot and they will NOT allow a team like Navy get in their way.

I imagine that you will disappear after Ohio State defeats Navy. That is what all of you smooth talking people who have no idea of what they are saying tend to do. You guys sound like salesmen, not football experts.
Ad hominem attacks from another usually means that one has struck an important cord, in that you fall prey to your brand of criticism (i.e., "This guy I'm writing to -- he don't know shit.").

Your posts seem to be pre-manufactured, waiting to put them to use in deriding others.

So, let's go through it, if you can:

- Navy's ENDs (they're not listed as WRs; it's not just nomenclature, it relates to their priority on #3 and the near-deep defender). They shall block. They shall communicate with the A-backs. It's not a priority for them to threaten the secondary except when executing their only two read-on-the-run option routes: cutting down after 16 yards when going against man-under deep or cover-4, and occupying the safety/seam when running a switch route with the A-back against cover-2.

- What does "to speak of" really mean, if you take the time to think about it? Have YOU seen these players actually play? Really? Do you know how they're implemented scheme-wise? Can you extrapolate that to Ohio State, other than talking about how scary they look coming off of the bus, or how fast they've clocked in spring training?

It is appreciable, to some extent, that you can, along with about million other football pedants, can identify disparate talent levels between two teams. Your rhetoric is ironclad here, because speaking/writing about the match-up once you've mastered the equivalent of saying your ABCs out load is akin to thinking that you're on your way to peer-reviewing linguistic-study papers tomorrow. The issue here is that one cannot dispute the possibility of this being so -- your expertise -- but the only thing read here from you are editorial blurbs about the approximate form of a team that you think it to be. For example, yeah, we all, hopefully, know of the talent differences between said teams in this post. But what have you spoken critically about, let's say, Ohio State, in just how their personnel will combat the whole crux of my reasoning as to how Navy can beat a team like this?

"Bigger, faster, talent, points allowed," yes. We both know this.

Are you reading why I discussed this game as having one of the few, viable 20-point-plus underdogs to snatch away an upset?

Rocks always beats scissors, as your rationale must flow. "But, but, dudebroguy, you're not looking at the talent. You are not looking at the talent."

Yes, I am. Yes, I have.

Please, edify us then. How are you seeing this game playing out in terms of what I have written.

Formulaically, your response may yet again be made of re-hashed platitudes, echoing your buddy in rote generalization, Phil Steele, followed by attempts at go-nowhere rhetoric.

You may be confusing functional analysis with smooth-talking. Why is that?

Are gathering that I'm putting the "house" on this? Are you somehow worried that others may hypothetically do the same? Are you acting out of some misplaced manner of philanthropy, hiding others from the wares of the snake oil salesman? Dude, you have some issues to work on interpersonally.

i write about a statistically significant level of R.O.I. here, but some rah-rah shit about "my team."

I understand where you're coming from. I mean, I agree with the first 10% of your reasoning; it's sound logic if these two teams play in an isolated, weighted system according to crystalline programming. But that's not how real life works when two teams match-up, especially with one team having a systematic design to cancel out talent disparities, creating a 10-on-9 advantage if the QB reads #1/#2 simultaneously. That's the most important contingency in a game like this (e.g., Reynolds, Keenan; Jasper, Ivin, et al.). This is the "magic bullet" that renders contests like this as attainable for squads like Navy.

We may go through the full extent of the Naval defense versus Coach Herman/Meyer's offensive approach. How's that sound? I've always liked talking Meyer's approach to "displaced, triple-option football."

Or are you off to wax expert on every other team in the country in this forum? Googling is not the instant equivalent to deriding one's analysis, especially as to how it pertains specifically to this situational match-up.

I made good money off of the few times that I bet last year: Navy (ML) @ Indiana, Navy (+17.5) @ Notre Dame, Navy (-6) v. Middle Tennesse State, and, most importantly, Georgia Southern (+28.5; +2,900). Schematically, one can see why I bet these games. And, situationally, I'm sure most could envision fading the Gators playing their last game of a lost season going against a team with nothing to lose deploying a scheme that requires 100% mental effort every play from the defense.

I'm just trying to help some identify when just when a king may not beat a queen straight up. What do you do here other than forage for arguments?