Originally posted on 11/07/2013:

Quote Originally Posted by Filmoz View Post
Before I say all this LTD, just let me preface it by saying that I have respect and sympathy for your situation. You need to obviously do some soul-searching, and perhaps quitting altogether might very well be the best thing for you.

But why do all these threads about gamblers hitting rock bottom and it negatively impacting their family all seem to imply that there is no middle ground, no way for someone with a normal job and family to simple set aside a reasonable bankroll for gambling and manage it properly. Living a normal life and enjoying gambling are not mutually exclusive. Just stop making friggin bets that you can't afford to lose. I have built up bankrolls from minimum $50 deposits before, literally starting with $2 and $3 bets and grinding it up, because I still wanted to have action and enjoyed the process of handicapping games but knew it would be irresponsible to put any more money at risk.

If you have a job and make regular income, quit gambling for a while and just keep working and staying on top of your expenses until you can set aside a reasonable gambling bankroll, even if its just a couple hundred dollars. Then size your bets accordingly, and focus more on the enjoyment of thoughtfully handicapping games rather than the instant gratification of putting down a large action bet. Focus on the long term prospects, so that if you have a losing day, you can stomach it and move on instead of chasing on the midnight Hawaii game.
Buddy it's great that you have such heart-felt advice here. It really is.

But you don't understand that this guy....like many who will never admit it....has a problem and needs help. His future, if he keeps gambling, includes lies and pain which will only occasionally be masked by the glory of winning.

Look at what you just typed and imagine if you posed the same question to an alcoholic. Can they just have 1 drink socially and not lose the war? In 95 percent of the cases they can not.

LTD you need to come clean to your wife and your loved ones. Tell them you have a problem and need help. Then you need to find a local gamblers anonymous meeting and go twice a week.

You're not a failure. You have a disease just like countless people in this world do. No different than drugs or alcohol. You can still win at life pal.

Gambling can be a great hobby for most. Unfortunately some brains are not wired to handle winning or losing appropriately.