Originally posted on 06/10/2013:

Seaweed, coming out to the SBR community as a believer is akin to coming out of the closet as an active pro football player. It shouldn't be this way but as gamblers, we are a cynical lot. Nobody wants to be taken as a sucker or viewed as such. It's an emasculation in our community. That is why I applaud you for being bold enough to start this thread and suggesting this article, penned by a man of science, rather than a pontificating cleric whose sole intent is to convert.

I struggle with this myself and as I have grown older am ashamed to say I have been infected by the logic of an ever skeptical mind. Religion is imperfect to begin with because Man has been given a gift and we of course perverted it for our own self-serving interests. But the gift itself, freedom from Death and the beatitudes of striving to live as nobly as possible is the true Holy Grail.

I am afraid to say I am not an attendee at Sunday Mass but would argue that sitting inside a church makes me about as religious as standing inside my garage makes me a car. I can only hope that my failure to believe unflinchingly and my transgressions as a person are ultimately viewed as the result of a supremely imperfect reflection of my Father's perfect image.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. You're a good boy Seaweed.