Originally <a href='/showthread.php?p=17457292'>posted</a> on 01/12/2013:

Quote Originally Posted by Regul8er View Post
Thanks for the response. We seem like we come from the same place. I too was a collegiate athlete( baseball and hockey) and this gambling things fires my competitive spirit. I'm the worst with money management and I keep vowing to improve but after a few bad beats, I fall back into old habits. What really sucks is that I'm the worst pressure bettor....I never win when my ass is on the line. I may be able to get a part time job on top of my full time in may or so, and may then have a few extra bucks to deposit and try again
It's because you are gambling in desperation. You know that you can't afford to lose that money, so you are not thinking clearly when you make large bets. The old saying that scared money can't make money is true. When the chips are stacked up in front of us, and we have a strong financial foundation, we can win a lot of money. Once desperation sets in, the chips will likely run away quicker than they ever ran towards us. It is the nature of the beast, and most of us have been exactly where you are right now. The only way to win is to quit gambling until you're not scared or can afford to lose, because the fear of losing will lead to a lot of losing. That is why when gamblers go on tilt and chase, we almost always lose. In that state of mind we have a losers mentality, so we inevitably lose.