Originally posted on 10/31/2012:

A little bit about me. I am more than just a smart ass on a Sports Betting forum. I do a lot of reading and writing in my free time. I deal with the same problems a lot of you do as well. I joke and carry on and say mean shit on here, but I rarely mean it. I took the time today to put this together. I am inserting it onto a few other networks I am involved with to increase awareness of an increasing problem. Happy reading.

Suicide Prevention.
Suicide is becoming all too common nowadays. It is something seldom talked about but it is a serious problem. I am putting this together to make you more aware of the facts and warning signs of a person with suicidal tendencies.

Suicide is the United States 10th leading cause of death. That’s an astonishing number when you take into account the amount of deadly illnesses that are out there. More than 36,000 people die from suicide in this country alone per year. Think about that for a minute. 36,000 people in this country, the land of the free, feel like their life is not worth living any longer. While 36,000 people die from suicide each year, nearly 1,000,000 people make an attempt at suicide per year. Another significant number that will probably make you sick is that every 13.7 minutes, somebody in the United States dies by suicide. Here are some facts for you to think about;

· 90% of people who die by suicide have a diagnosable and treatable psychiatric disorder at the time of their death.
· Men are 4 times more likely to die by suicide than women. However, women attempt suicide 3 times as often as men.
· Suicide rates are highest for people between the ages of 40-59.

People need to understand that suicide can definitely be prevented. There are many warning signs. Some of these signs you probably see every day so it is hard to distinguish whether serious or not. The safest bet is to take ALL signs seriously. The signs are;

· Signs of Serious Depression (unrelenting low mood, pessimism, hopelessness, desperation, anxiety, psychic pain, inner tension, withdrawal and sleep problems).
· Increased alcohol or drug use.
· Recent impulsiveness and taking unnecessary risks.
· Threatening suicide or expressing a strong wish to die.
· Making a plan (Giving away prized possessions, sudden purchase of a firearm, and purchase of poisons or other medications).
· Unexpected rage or anger.

All these factors need to be taken seriously. Remember depression does not always lead to suicide, but it is a major risk factor. There are things you can do to help prevent a friend or loved one from attempting suicide. 50-75% of all suicides give some type of warning. A lot of the time, people just want somebody to talk to, so take the time to be there and listen to someone. Listening to other people’s problems can help you feel at ease with your own problems. Seeking professional help is a must do when dealing with a suicidal individual. After a cool off period, one might seem like they are okay but they are really not. Mental health professionals and treatment facilities are pretty readily available. Never leave a person alone when they give an idea that they may want to attempt suicide. That is probably the biggest factor in preventing suicide. Remove anything that they can use (firearms, drugs, etc.). After a crisis, always remember to follow up. Never take it for granted.

All of the information you read here should be credited to The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

If you are wondering why I happened to write this out of the blue, well, I know two people who have killed themselves within the past year. Granted, I was not close to these people, but others were. So, I can only imagine the devastation that they are going through. I have been thinking about this off and on for the past week. I think about my problems and the problems of other people that I know. I feel like other people have real problems. While I am sulking about the small day to day problems that I run into, other people have more serious problems. It makes me want to reevaluate some of my outlook on life. I hope you actually take the time to do the same.