Originally posted on 12/25/2011:

Quote Originally Posted by HauntingTheHoly View Post

No one should ever be banned for "slamming" someone to begin with. Threats could be different, of course.

John voted to bring him back, and so this seems like a forced argument. Behind it is the fact that you are very irritated (perhaps understandably) to be the one who has to read all of his stupid posts and as you read them, your dislike/hatred grows for the poster, and you simply want to solve the problem easily by perm-banning him. Are you really arguing the issue is "money wasted" on modding him? lol. Come on.

True, but not necessarily bad for the forum. In fact it's quite normal from my experience.

He was scaring posters off, really? Doubtful to say the least. Anybody who is so easily "scared" by a quite TYPICAL (they're on every board on the internets) forum attention whore/clown/troll can not be protected by you or anyone else anyway. If the "new poster" has any sense whatsoever they will immediately recognize him for his role and can choose to engage or ignore. (And the poster may feel "engaging" is fun, in fact. Some people like a degree of conflict on forums) You make it sound like there are hoards of new posters who are crucial to SBR's bottom line, but then they read one of batemans posts and FLEE to some other inferior forum. No. You just hate the guy and want him punished. Am I right?

Finally, let me just say that It's quite possible the guy deserves a perm-ban for his behavior, as I'm not too familiar with him at all. My "defense" is of a purely philosophical/general nature. But if John votes to let him back in, I doubt anything Bateman's said would override my general thoughts.
Only because some wackadoo (hi Tree) nominated this, will I respond...

I talked to Bateman on THE PHONE for ONE HOUR+ right before he was banned from SBR. He knows who I am and I know who he is as a poster. I asked him why he acted like such a candlestick when he was posting and he said he didn't know... he acknowledged he did but couldn't figure out why.

So yeah, keep pontificating about why I posted what I did about Bateman... Bateman knows. You however, do not. If Bateman and I were to sit down in a bar tomorrow we'd have a few drinks and have a great time. However I work at a forum... and whether or not you happen to believe that he's chased people away, I can only say that I bloody wish I knew how to search live chat transcripts to bury your ass. I wouldn't even take a bet from you on it because it'd be like taking money from a kid. I don't lie pal. And I don't exaggerate. Especially not about someone who will most likely be sharing a meal with me in the future.

Learn your shit and get it sorted before you start with the diatribes again... Bateman is a horrific poster. He knows that he is. He's also a lovely man in real life. For whatever reason the two aren't reconciled yet... when they are, I'm sure everyone will love to have him back. Until then, he knows that he's wished all the best despite his silly nonsense.