Quote Originally Posted by rsnnh12 View Post
Let me ask you this. If you had cancer (God forbid), where would you rather be treated? The US, Canada, England, somewhere else? Forget about cost. Which country will give you the best chance of not only surviving, but the best chance of detecting the cancer early (because that's obviously key in stopping it)?

Again, I know our system needs a ton of work, because it is tremendously inefficient, but the quality of care (that is, keeping people alive) is unmatched.
Forget cost ?

You are funny .. My wife is an ICU nurse in a cancer hospital.

A very large majority of the people that she sees on a daily basis (even if they have insurance) chose to simply give up fighting when they lean of the cost involved of fighting the cancer.

If I was diagnosed with cancer tomorrow (depending on the type and stage at diagnosis) .. i'd probably fly back to the UK for treatment. I would chose to leave my wife without crippling debt hanging over her head rather than see her give up every single thing she has worked for for her entire life and watch her have to hand it over to an insurance company.

The problem is .. you are telling me to forget cost - when cost is the number one problem with the care here in the US. .. if the first thing you worry about when your doctor tells you that you need to have a procedure is how much this is going to cost .. then "quality" really does not matter. If you cannot afford to have the procedure ... the fact that the best doctor in the world could have done the procedure is neither here nor there.

As to your question of which country would detect the cancer first .. I would say anywhere but the US ... in most civilized countries you can go in and see a GP whenever you want and it costs you nothing .. here in the US 60% of the population will spend at least one year living below the poverty line at some point between the ages of 25 and 75 .. lets just hope that the cancer does not chose THAT year to start growing .. as not too many people that live below the poverty line are going to be able to spend the $80 or $100 it costs to see a doctor ....

Didn't i read the other day that 60% of Americans would be unable to get their hands on $1000 if it were needed in an emergency ? Do you think that those people are going for regular check-ups at the doctors office ? I don't .. and they certainly are not going to be able to pay any kind of co-pay on treatment for cancer ... those are the people that just give up and die.