It's hard to quantify exactly what is meant by a "ruined social life". I suppose if you had never had an active social life, and it's now limited further by gambling, then there is nothing lost. However, I can visualize how a gambler could severly limit his interaction with others.

I gamble invest on a daily basis. I spend an embarrassing amount of time going over all the data for the days plays, and although I make a substantial amount of money annually, it would be pitiful to evaluate my efforts based by hourly wage.

My "day" typically looks like this. I get up at 6 am., read the paper, get coffee, feed the cat, etc. Around 6:45 I update my data pages and scores from the previous night.....do the accounting and verify the won/lost data. I then update all the pages of data (around 50) necessary for the day matchups. This includes all the pitching data, batter data, team data...inclusive of the previous night. Next, I run the data through my model for todays games, and the model projects games for my further evaluation.

I spend the next 2-3 hours going over the models projections and reading this forum as well as several others. Usually, I will pick up some additional information from reading that my model doesn't account for and I check the source and evaluate the data. (It's rare, but some posters have information that is not published or accounted for in the daily upgrade....more so in CBB and CFB than MLB).

I double check my lines about once an hour and have usually placed all of my bets by noon (PDT). I eat lunch and head out. Depending on outside household committments, I'll run some errands and then go to the golf course. I usually putt, hit balls and jaw with some of the locals, but if time permints, I'll play. Most times I can only play 9 holes, but on rare occassions, I'll play 18......then to the bar and settle up. If I don't play, I'll go back to the local pool spot and try to get a couple of games of pool with whoever is hanging around. My pool game has improved (joined a pool league last year), so it's tougher to get money games anymore. But there are a few who still think they can beat me....

By now, it's game time (4:00 pm PDT) and the games are starting. I'll watch a bit at the bar and then head home to finish up and get ready for the West Coast starts (7:00 pm PDT). Usually, while I'm watching the games, I'll download the overnight lines and run them through the overnight model. If something striking sticks out, I'll play it early and mark it for further review the next morning.

By now, it's usually around 9-10 pm. If the games are over I'll watch the news, or whatever I've put on the DVR. If my girlfriend is "in the mood", I'll do what's necessary then off to bed.......

A couple of caveats....I imagine you can deduce from the above, I don't "work at a job" that requires my attendance. I'm retired and my gambling money is necessary for me to continue full time retirement. With that in mind, my "job" is handicapping sports events. My girlfriend works for 911 and has weird hours. She sometimes works 3-4 consecutive 18 hr days, then has 4-5 days off, so it fits well with my schedule. When she's off, we go to Vegas or Palm Springs for a couple of days....depending on the season and upcoming wagers. She is cognizant of my betting and is fully "on board", so it's never a problem, although I don't share much information on a daily basis.

Now, back to the OP question. From reading the above, am I a social misfit, outcast, or hermit......I'd say NO, but has gambling interferred with a more active social life, probably so, but possibly no more than anyone who is still working a job and trying to make ends meet, while pursuing a social standing.

Good Luck on your action....