juanego
    juanego's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 157

Betting 2nd Half (NBA)

Im trying to get a feel of different playing strategies and I saw 2nd Half Betting for basketball. How does this work?
    I just saw the Lakers winning by 28 at halftime but the books were giving them +3 point spread for the second half?? What is being counted?
    Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you

kcsportspics
    kcsportspics's Avatar Become A Pro!

lakers need to win by 26 for u to win......25 a push.....etc..subtract 3 from lead.....or just look at 3 and 4th q scores add up both teams scores for the 3 and 4th q like lakers scored 43 in 3rd lakers scored 44 ....87 points utah scored 41 and 45 86 points u win

BigLouie66
    BigLouie66's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 509

gl with the half time bets

LAURIN
    LAURIN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7644

What I see is that for the most part the scores for the first half don't change the lines very much. Maybe one or two points but with a big variance in the scoring the lines stay close. If the over/under total is 206, the first and second halves are both going to be 103. I played a couple of second halves this week where the first half totals were about 120, the o/u second half was around 102, I took the over thinking the teams will just be smoking hot and I was the one that got smoked, both times the teams scored low 90's. One thing I have tried is that when the favorite (maybe -8) is losing after the first half, chances are they might have a better second half to come away, beat the number and actually win, but I'm usually too impatient and can't wait for my chances! There's always another game, if only I could remember that myself.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

I have a question about betting the second half (this could work for both college or the NBA.

So lets say the full game line on a game is
    Ohio State -10 pts
    Michigan State +10 pts

Now for the first half betting Ohio State is -5 pts and Michigan State is +5 pts

Lets say at Halftime the score is 40-38 and Michigan State has the lead.

The second half line comes out Ohio State -4pts, Michigan State +4 pts.

Does anyone ever adopt the strategy that Vegas knows what they are doing, hence, there is an eight point spread here from what Vegas originally thought and what they are thinking now. Before the game Ohio State was a 10 point favorite and now they are a 2 point favorite at halftime. It seems like it would make sense to take Ohio State in the second half.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows this strategy, and it if has been proven to be worthless. It seems like it makes some sense if you believe the sports book knows what they are doing to start the game. But also they probably know what they are doing at the half. Obviously some games there will be no halftime spread to bet, for instance if Ohio State was up 5 pts at halftime and the 2nd half line came out Ohio State -5.

Sorry if this was a bit incoherent! Hopefully it is sorta understandable!! Thanks!

DedesSports
    DedesSports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 282

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    I have a question about betting the second half (this could work for both college or the NBA.

So lets say the full game line on a game is
    Ohio State -10 pts
    Michigan State +10 pts

Now for the first half betting Ohio State is -5 pts and Michigan State is +5 pts

Lets say at Halftime the score is 40-38 and Michigan State has the lead.

The second half line comes out Ohio State -4pts, Michigan State +4 pts.

Does anyone ever adopt the strategy that Vegas knows what they are doing, hence, there is an eight point spread here from what Vegas originally thought and what they are thinking now. Before the game Ohio State was a 10 point favorite and now they are a 2 point favorite at halftime. It seems like it would make sense to take Ohio State in the second half.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows this strategy, and it if has been proven to be worthless. It seems like it makes some sense if you believe the sports book knows what they are doing to start the game. But also they probably know what they are doing at the half. Obviously some games there will be no halftime spread to bet, for instance if Ohio State was up 5 pts at halftime and the 2nd half line came out Ohio State -5.

Sorry if this was a bit incoherent! Hopefully it is sorta understandable!! Thanks!
    The example you gave makes sense this way:

Ohio should have won the 1st half by 5 but they only won by 2, so they under performed. Second half supremacy was expected to be -5. To keep the initial -10 Ohio should have had won by 5 the 1st half. So, assuming the same pattern in the second half, Ohio will win it by 2 and so the match by 4. This can be one way to see it. I would guess that the formula without any behavioral logic behind, I mean, just pure math, line for the 2nd half should have been -5 (initial 2nd half supremacy) - 2 (current score difference) = -7