onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Roddick gone from Australian Open

Gets beat by a unseeded.

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Andy Roddick tumbled out of the Australian Open on Sunday, losing 6-4, 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 to unseeded Marcos Baghdatis in the fourth round.

Roddick, the No. 2 seed, was unsettled by the high-energy Baghdatis, a 20-year-old former junior world champion from Cyprus.

After dropping just one service game in his three previous matches, Roddick was broken once in each of the first, third and fourth sets. Baghdatis had 16 aces, one more than Roddick, and only 26 unforced errors -- including four in the last set.

"I'm just in my own world and playing great tennis," Baghdatis said. "I think it's one of the best matches of my life."

Baghdatis, ranked 54th, advanced to a quarterfinal against the winner of Sunday's later match between No. 7 Ivan Ljubicic and No. 10 Thomas Johansson, the 2002 Australian Open champion.

It was a disappointing exit for Roddick, the American who had a shocking first-round loss in the U.S. Open -- the last Grand Slam event.

Roddick had 39 winners and 31 unforced errors.

In another men's match, fourth-seeded David Nalbandian reached the quarterfinals, beating Tommy Robredo 6-3, 6-0, 2-6, 6-2.

With defending champion Marat Safin, second-ranked Rafael Nadal, four-time winner Andre Agassi out because of injuries and No. 3 Lleyton Hewitt ousted in the second round, Roddick was considered the top contender to topple favorite Roger Federer.

But Baghadatis went for everything.

Serving for the match at 5-4 in the fourth, Baghdatis smacked consecutive forehand winners and had triple match point when Roddick ripped a backhand return into the net.

Cheered on by dozens of supporters dressed in blue and white clothes, Baghdatis ended the match in 2 hours, 32 minutes with a crosscourt forehand -- his 63rd winner.

"To have the crowd support -- it's incredible," Baghdatis said.

After the match, Baghdatis raced over to his cheering section, including relatives and friends, and whipped them up by waving his arms up and down. Organizing tickets for them at Rod Laver Arena was not easy, but worthwhile.

"I buy some of them, and some of them they buy," he said. "They're like a family to me, my cousins, uncles, my coach, my girlfiend."

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

The word dick needs to be allowed. You can't even day Roddick without a dick icon popping up.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion
    The word dick needs to be allowed. You can't even day Roddick without a dick icon popping up.
    I agree, that is just out of hand. Who wants to see a bunch of dicks?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

looks like federer is one step closer to winning the aussie open now.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

Baghdatis is unseeded, but has a world of talent and is one of the up and comers along with Berdych, Djokovic, Monfils, and Gasquet. He made me a ton of money last year with his run at the Australian Open before Federer disposed of him. Result is not really that surprising, because Andy has too many flaws in his game. He needs a quick court, so he can get a lot of cheap points on his serve or short points. Once it gets in a rally, Andy has no advantage whatsoever especially with a player who has solid groundstrokes.