this team was very dissapointing this year. but, with the new rules, i guess we kind of seeing this comming in a way.

Robinson resigns as Devils coach

By DAVID PORTER, AP Sports Writer
December 19, 2005
WEST ORANGE, N.J. (AP) -- Larry Robinson resigned as coach of the New Jersey Devils on Monday because of stress and "horrible headaches," two days after his team lost for the seventh time in nine games.

Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello said he will take over for Robinson on a temporary basis. New Jersey's next game is Tuesday, against the New York Rangers.

Robinson, a Hall of Fame defenseman who coached the Devils to the Stanley Cup championship in 2000, returned to the team in July.

New Jersey was 14-13-5 and fourth in the Atlantic Division.

"A lot of things were getting to me. I want this team to be successful, but if I can't be at my best and it's bothering me healthwise, I can't do that," he said.

The 54-year-old Robinson missed two games this month with flu and sinus problems. He said he continued to have what he called "horrible headaches" and recently underwent tests, including a CAT scan.

Robinson was told the symptoms were stress-related.

"This was one time I went for tests and hoped they'd find something," he said.

Robinson, a former star with the Montreal Canadiens in the 1970s and '80s, took over as coach last summer after Pat Burns was diagnosed with cancer.

Before taking the job, Robinson for three years had served as a special assignment coach with the Devils and worked with players at the franchise's minor league affiliate in Albany.

Robinson, who also took the Devils to the Cup finals in 2001, got his first NHL coaching job as an assistant with New Jersey in 1993. He was on staff when the Devils won their first championship in 1995.

Later, he was hired as head coach of the Los Angeles Kings, where he spent four seasons.

In July, Robinson said his familiarity with the Devils and Lamoriello made the decision to return an easy one.

"New Jersey gave me my start. I had a lot of success with New Jersey, I know the organization, and I have a lot of confidence in Lou, and that's why this was the right combination," he said at the time.

On Monday, he said: "This is not malicious. Maybe it's selfish on my part. I still think I can coach, I just think that at this stage of my life ... nothing is worth being sick over."

Lamoriello said he wants to bring in a new coach quickly, but added, "I am not going to make a decision just to make a decision."

Lamoriello has coached one NHL game, for the Devils against Boston in the 1988 playoffs when then-coach Jim Schoenfeld was suspended for one game.

Robinson's resignation came as left wing Patrik Elias, the Devils' leading scorer in 2003-04, practiced for the first time Monday after missing several months with hepatitis.

In addition, veteran defenseman Vladimir Malakhov retired, and his roster spot was taken by Dan McGillis, who had been waived but had not yet reported to Albany.