bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

how this sound "the KC Penguins"

god knows they tried to keep the Penguins in the steel city. but, i guess even with the new salary cap, there still probly gonna move the team.

Lemieux doubtful on Penguins future in Pittsburgh

December 11, 2005
    PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Penguins owner-captain Mario Lemieux said he is doubtful that the team will remain in Pittsburgh after its Mellon Arena lease expires in 2007, citing a lack of progress on a new arena.

The Penguins are projecting a $7 million loss this season, a figure that assumes the team will draw near-capacity crowds and advance to the second round of the playoffs.

"I think we're really running out of time," Lemieux said Saturday. "We probably ran out of time already. It's been unfortunate that the city and the county haven't been willing to work with us over the last two or three years."

Lemieux has said for several years that the Penguins would not be able to survive in Pittsburgh without a new arena. Mellon Arena is the oldest and smallest arena in the National Hockey League.

The lease allows the team to solicit offers for the franchise beginning in June 2006. Kansas City is among the cities that have expressed interest in the team.

"We'll sit down with everybody and understand what's at stake for our investment and what's best for the franchise" when the board of directors is scheduled to meet this week, Lemieux said.

Max Levine
    Max Levine's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't get this one. Pittsburgh precarious financial situation is obvious but moving the franchise to KC makes no sense to me. In the 70's, the Scouts could only sell 2,000 season tickets. They lasted 2-3 seasons and were moved to Colorado (now the NJ Devils). The city managed to have an IHL team for a few years and that is all I could see for KC: a minor league team.

Is KC a solid city in other major sports?

Max

bigboydan

max, KC has came along way sense those days. this city i feel could suport a pucks team. but, i feel an NBA is better off there personaly.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

It sounds stupid as hell. The Penguins need to stay in Pittsburgh

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

If they move to KC, they should change their name. Im with ILL, it dont sound right.

bigboydan

now that theres a salary cap in place. i wish they would move up to the great white north. say maybe winnipeg. i'd love to have the winnipeg jets back.