1. #1
    the_mathman
    the_mathman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-04-11
    Posts: 312
    Betpoints: 2148

    Fade the public

    I have read many articles about fade the public money, but now I don't want more words...
    i want fact! I want numbers! (Of course: I'm the math man!)

    Have you some link to data analysis or statistics about the Fade the public results?

  2. #2
    The Resurrection
    The Resurrection's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-04-11
    Posts: 55
    Betpoints: 36

    Here are some stats: http://www.sportsinsights.com/bettin...thepublic.aspx

    But, if fading the public guarantees wins, then everyone would do it. But that's not really the case.

  3. #3
    TU
    TU's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-30-10
    Posts: 147
    Betpoints: 30

    You can't win by fading anyone long term. You are basically betting that a coin flip will land on heads more than 52.38% of the time. Losing proposition.

  4. #4
    SportsBettingPro
    SportsBettingPro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-07-10
    Posts: 60

    Its better than betting with the public, but no guarantee of success... In general, any simple system is very unlikely to succeed in the long term. Betting against the public is no different.

  5. #5
    bostonbruins
    bostonbruins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-02-08
    Posts: 3,273

    I like fading the public when I think an over/under is inflated and there is lots of action on the over. Usually NFL or CBB games with big name teams or big situations.

  6. #6
    TU
    TU's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-30-10
    Posts: 147
    Betpoints: 30

    Anyone who bets according to fading, needs to have their heads examined. You will lose money. Simple as that.

  7. #7
    Ibrakadabra
    Ibrakadabra's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-30-10
    Posts: 271
    Betpoints: 264

    In theory it might make sense. In reality though there are a lot of heavily funded people out there to take advantage of this before the small bettor can.

    I donīt think that making money ever will be this simple.

  8. #8
    dbDan
    dbDan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-25-10
    Posts: 60

    Who is the "public" anymore?

  9. #9
    FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-29-10
    Posts: 3,809
    Betpoints: 464

    I can't give you a link but have data covering about 5000 matchups where Bodog (the most representative public book) had a no vig lean toward the favourite of more than 4 ticks against the average of 5 vanilla books.

    54.2% were losers.
    Getting the best price on the dog for these matchups gives an ROI of 5.6%

  10. #10
    Tomato
    Tomato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-29-09
    Posts: 1,251
    Betpoints: 594

    Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    I can't give you a link but have data covering about 5000 matchups where Bodog (the most representative public book) had a no vig lean toward the favourite of more than 4 ticks against the average of 5 vanilla books.

    54.2% were losers.
    Getting the best price on the dog for these matchups gives an ROI of 5.6%
    Tomato would argue that SIA and BetEd are more representative of public action than Bodog.

  11. #11
    FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-29-10
    Posts: 3,809
    Betpoints: 464

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
    Tomato would argue that SIA and BetEd are more representative of public action than Bodog.
    Interesting. Based on what though?

    I have not done any analysis but based only observation I would estimate that SIA lines would meet the same criteria 80-85% of the times that Bodog's did, BetEd less so.

  12. #12
    Tomato
    Tomato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-29-09
    Posts: 1,251
    Betpoints: 594

    Significantly larger edges than Bodog on sides with overwhelming public action on the other side.

  13. #13
    the_mathman
    the_mathman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-04-11
    Posts: 312
    Betpoints: 2148

    Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    I can't give you a link but have data covering about 5000 matchups where Bodog (the most representative public book) had a no vig lean toward the favourite of more than 4 ticks against the average of 5 vanilla books.

    54.2% were losers.
    Getting the best price on the dog for these matchups gives an ROI of 5.6%

    mmm... i must to go on Bodog and search a lot....


    thank you!

  14. #14
    mminkovski
    mminkovski's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-22-07
    Posts: 1,027

    Where do you guys check the public % of bets? I know that sbrodds and cover follow only 2-3 bookies.

  15. #15
    Tomahawk
    Now I am Pro with no options to renew
    Tomahawk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-24-10
    Posts: 359
    Betpoints: 204

    Sportsinsights knows the most data about this. The data reveals that the bigger public bet you're fading the higher winning possibility you have.

    For example fading a 60% public opinion is not the best thing to do. But if the public bets are 80% or higher it's strongly advised to jump in it and bet the opposite side.

  16. #16
    JOHON8
    gambling fallacy
    JOHON8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-28-10
    Posts: 7,714
    Betpoints: 338

    A lot of people lose their sense of logic fading the public. Really you should think of fading the public as fading a line that the books have designed to look valuable. I've seen people fade the public so many times in situations where they didn't have to, simply because they were following a blind philosophy. You have to approach it logically, nothing is as easy as it seems.

  17. #17
    That Foreign Guy
    I got sunshine in a bag
    That Foreign Guy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-18-10
    Posts: 432

    What if the public are fading themselves?

  18. #18
    sideloaded
    staring into the abyss
    sideloaded's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-21-10
    Posts: 7,568

    Quote Originally Posted by That Foreign Guy View Post
    What if the public are fading themselves?
    lol

  19. #19
    Peeig
    Underbetting my roll
    Peeig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-06-08
    Posts: 567
    Betpoints: 1213

    Quote Originally Posted by the_mathman View Post
    mmm... i must to go on Bodog and search a lot....


    thank you!
    they deal dual lines, so you'll get a few bets down at the public lineset, but then they'll change you to the sharp lineset.

  20. #20
    SparJMU
    SparJMU's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-18-10
    Posts: 1,644
    Betpoints: 6249

    Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    I can't give you a link but have data covering about 5000 matchups where Bodog (the most representative public book) had a no vig lean toward the favourite of more than 4 ticks against the average of 5 vanilla books.

    54.2% were losers.
    Getting the best price on the dog for these matchups gives an ROI of 5.6%
    I believe I understand the concept of what you are saying here, but can you please elaborate a little? What do you mean by "4 ticks" and what are the 5 "vanilla books" that you are referring to?

    An example or two would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

  21. #21
    FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-29-10
    Posts: 3,809
    Betpoints: 464

    Quote Originally Posted by SparJMU View Post
    I believe I understand the concept of what you are saying here, but can you please elaborate a little? What do you mean by "4 ticks" and what are the 5 "vanilla books" that you are referring to?

    An example or two would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
    An example of a "vanilla" book would be Legends i.e. generally close to the market average.

    By more than a 4 tick differential, I will use the following example.

    The average of my 5 vanilla books has the line as -4.5 @ -110 (+100 adjusted for vig)
    Bodog has the line for the favourite of -4.5 @ -120 (-110 adjusted for vig)
    Meaning a differential of 10 ticks.

    In case Bodog (or one of the other books) has moved the line to say -5.0, I have to manually adjust using a push probability table.

  22. #22
    chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-26-11
    Posts: 4,087

    cool thread.

    *head explode* @ 'what if the public are fading themselves'

    finally, public > 80% is a pretty widely used factor in a lot of models.

  23. #23
    chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-26-11
    Posts: 4,087

    public > 80% and the line staying the same (or even better moving the other way) is an obv play, regardless of sport.

  24. #24
    SparJMU
    SparJMU's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-18-10
    Posts: 1,644
    Betpoints: 6249

    Quote Originally Posted by FourLengthsClear View Post
    An example of a "vanilla" book would be Legends i.e. generally close to the market average.

    By more than a 4 tick differential, I will use the following example.

    The average of my 5 vanilla books has the line as -4.5 @ -110 (+100 adjusted for vig)
    Bodog has the line for the favourite of -4.5 @ -120 (-110 adjusted for vig)
    Meaning a differential of 10 ticks.

    In case Bodog (or one of the other books) has moved the line to say -5.0, I have to manually adjust using a push probability table.
    So in this scenario, over 5,000 game you have found 5.5% ROI when betting the underdog at +4.5 (-110)?

  25. #25
    FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-29-10
    Posts: 3,809
    Betpoints: 464

    Quote Originally Posted by SparJMU View Post
    So in this scenario, over 5,000 game you have found 5.5% ROI when betting the underdog at +4.5 (-110)?
    No. As mentioned it produces a return of 5.6% based on the best line available.
    You should also bear in mid that I am not American!

  26. #26
    tachi
    tachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-25-09
    Posts: 309
    Betpoints: 702

    Quote Originally Posted by TU View Post
    You can't win by fading anyone long term. You are basically betting that a coin flip will land on heads more than 52.38% of the time. Losing proposition.
    Is it possible the main goal of the bookies to be: maximum profits?
    Most of the money are public,
    so if the bookies want max profits,
    they must know what the public bets on and set lower odds for this.
    Why they should care about the pros when they make the max?

    Conclusion: a coin flip is not something related to betting and bookies.
    Please apply it in other spheres.

  27. #27
    juuso
    juuso's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-04-05
    Posts: 2,896
    Betpoints: 48

    Fading doesn't work.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 10/4/2005


  28. #28
    the_mathman
    the_mathman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-04-11
    Posts: 312
    Betpoints: 2148

    Quote Originally Posted by juuso View Post
    Fading doesn't work.
    LOL !
    essential!

  29. #29
    TU
    TU's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-30-10
    Posts: 147
    Betpoints: 30

    Quote Originally Posted by tachi View Post
    Is it possible the main goal of the bookies to be: maximum profits?
    Most of the money are public,
    so if the bookies want max profits,
    they must know what the public bets on and set lower odds for this.
    Why they should care about the pros when they make the max?

    Conclusion: a coin flip is not something related to betting and bookies.
    Please apply it in other spheres.
    It applies.

  30. #30
    hampt333
    hampt333's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-31-10
    Posts: 147
    Betpoints: 297

    If you fade the Public then you have to fade them on the HUGE Favorites. Usually this will give you the point spread back in your favor. Pick the point spread on the BIG underdog and that strategy will work.

  31. #31
    medallion55
    medallion55's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-24-10
    Posts: 14

    Quote Originally Posted by chemicalbrother View Post
    public > 80% and the line staying the same (or even better moving the other way) is an obv play, regardless of sport.
    I would definitely agree with this

  32. #32
    ferndog
    ferndog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-22-07
    Posts: 1,385
    Betpoints: 360

    Bookies know what the sucker bets are. So they will make those bets look good for the losing gambler. It's like waiting for a fish to bite. So if you see a line that looks like the bookie is begging you to take then you know that is a sucker bet.

  33. #33
    CHUBNUT
    CHUBNUT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-30-09
    Posts: 321
    Betpoints: 3711

    with everyone fading the public, what was the sharp side becomes the public side with the original squares left on the other now sharp side funny game betting. better to have been opinionated and lost than never opinionated at all.

  34. #34
    legendmatt34
    legendmatt34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-15-09
    Posts: 737
    Betpoints: 82

    let us know how u make out..

Top