fau
    ul lafay

Peregrine Stoop
    Peregrine Stoop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 779

UNLV - Wisconsin : Favorite/Over 1H
    Memphis - MsSt : Favorite/Over 1H
    Akron - Ohio St : Favorite/Under 1H
    Kent St - Bama : Favorite/Under 1H (though line shopping could have brought the total to a push)
    ULM - FSU: Push/Under 1H (I don't have the best 1H scrapping, so perhaps the dog side could have won this with line shopping ???)
    SJST - Stanford : Favorite/Over 1H
    Buffalo - Pitt : Dog/Under 1H
    ULL - OkSt : Favorite/Over 1H
    FAU - Florida: Favorite/Over 1H

Wow... brutal week 1 to start this time. Favorites' revenge up in here.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

Yep, but the point of this isn't really to line shop it's that this is allegedly a market inefficiency.

Peregrine Stoop

Quote Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
    Yep, but the point of this isn't really to line shop it's that this is allegedly a market inefficiency.
    There is no sportsbetting that isn't about line shopping. If something has been covering 53% v closing lines, getting a worse line will take away all edge.

Peregrine Stoop

Week 2 is
    New Mexico
    FAU

right?

C.S.
    C.S.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1921

think you missed fresno st. might have been just outside the range so I could be wrong.

Bill the cop
    Bill the cop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 420

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Stoop View Post
    Week 2 is
    New Mexico
    FAU

right?

3 games yesterday:

379 FlD Atl, F/O

365 N.Mex, F/O

355 Fresno, D/O

Peregrine Stoop

Quote Originally Posted by C.S. View Post
    think you missed fresno st. might have been just outside the range so I could be wrong.
    yep, it was.
    I posted way before kickoffs, so I hope no one thinks I was undercutting BTC by missing the one that came through D/O.

Slight recovery in week 2.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

North Texas +28 and the over 32pts is definitely a play today.

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

So here we have BTC posting a system (against the "Tank rules" according to Justin7's ever present Tank leading thread) about a "market inefficient" angle, in a seeming attempt to ingratiate himself to a bunch of arrogant pseudo-stat haters. Justin7 not only lets post stand but backs BTC vs. haters. Then BTC reveals that few plays are generated.

The irony is stupefying.

Peregrine Stoop

isn't it though?

Peregrine Stoop

though, technically, the linked thread from last year hinted at the pricing of these things and when one should pass, so not a pure system

Peregrine Stoop

Week 3 is
    Akron
    Idaho
    ULM
    N Texas

Peregrine Stoop

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    North Texas +28 and the over 32pts is definitely a play today.
    you should get +28.5 ... big difference

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

Quote Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
    I thought you guys in here were smart? If the 'market' isnt efficient then how can line shopping be a bad thing? If anything once the saps bet into bad lines and make them worse line shopping is even more valuable in an inefficient 'market' than it would be in a solid one.

I guess brains and common sense dont go hand in hand.

tomcowley
    tomcowley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6786

I guess reading comprehension and the SN wantitall4moi don't go hand in hand either. Nobody's saying not to lineshop actual bets, they're saying that if the market is as inefficient as BtD claims, it should win vs. WA numbers.

CHUBNUT
    CHUBNUT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7628

the reason you lot have trouble winning is your brains are addled by so many theories and you've got so deep you dont know which ones to trust anymore. Take a week off to relax, clear your head and get back to basics. Forget all this BTCL, points buying, public money shit and just use your brains to read between the lines on a game. Make a decision on a game, get the best odds/line/vig going unless it looks like its going to drift and evaluate after each event.

After a certain amount of time if you find you cant make a profit then treat your gambling more as a hobby because there's certainly nothing on here to improve it down the line.

Peregrine Stoop

Quote Originally Posted by CHUBNUT View Post
    the reason you lot have trouble winning is your brains are addled by so many theories and you've got so deep you dont know which ones to trust anymore. Take a week off to relax, clear your head and get back to basics. Forget all this BTCL, points buying, public money shit and just use your brains to read between the lines on a game. Make a decision on a game, get the best odds/line/vig going unless it looks like its going to drift and evaluate after each event. After a certain amount of time if you find you cant make a profit then treat your gambling more as a hobby because there's certainly nothing on here to improve it down the line.
    this is almost the exact opposite of everything I would say except get the best odds/line/vig

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

Quote Originally Posted by tomcowley View Post
    I guess reading comprehension and the SN wantitall4moi don't go hand in hand either. Nobody's saying not to lineshop actual bets, they're saying that if the market is as inefficient as BtD claims, it should win vs. WA numbers.
    I thought he showed it did, but was basically shouted down by the masses in here.

basically line shopping or in a more correct term, getting the best number ever available will mean a 3-4% advantage over what people like to call widely available. Since 99% of the guys in here and out there FOLLOW then that means not many if any will ever get the very best available number. So they automatically lose a small percentage of any advantage they think they have.

But I would think that if Bill ran a check on his results he would find that his results will be 3 or 4% better/worse than he shows depending on how his number compares to best posted.

I would also say that if people took a personal accoutning of every bet they have ever made and compared it to the best posted number available they would also see the same deviation. So if they always got the worst number they would see a 3-4% difference in results. So if they were 52% then had they got the best number they would be 55-56%. So from a loser to a superstar just by getting the best possible number.

Now the real question is is the market inefficient because it has such a wide gap in the results or is it really efficient to be close enough that many times to make that much of a difference? In other words 3-4% of all games across the NFL, NBA, NCAA hoops and football are going to be lined close enough to the final result that a line move will effect who wins and who loses.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24857

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    So here we have BTC posting a system (against the "Tank rules" according to Justin7's ever present Tank leading thread) about a "market inefficient" angle, in a seeming attempt to ingratiate himself to a bunch of arrogant pseudo-stat haters. Justin7 not only lets post stand but backs BTC vs. haters. Then BTC reveals that few plays are generated.

The irony is stupefying.
    Wreck:

What's up, old man?

Peregrine Stoop

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Stoop View Post
    Week 3 is Akron Idaho ULM N Texas
    what were the results?

Wrecktangle
    Wrecktangle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3209

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Wreck:

What's up, old man?
    Hey Chucky! Wow, haven't talked in a while. How are things going? Lemme shoot you an e-mail.

Patrick McIrish
    Patrick McIrish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

It certainly would have to be considered a system but glad they make exceptions when BTC is in the house. Don't always agree with his message but usually provokes good conversation.

First 12