cappingsports
    cappingsports's Avatar Become A Pro!

Need Excel Help - Comparing Overlapping Ice Time In NHL

Let's say I have the following column headings, and statistics underneath, in Excel:

Date, Team, Player, Shift Number, Period, Start Shift, End Shift

How do I total overlapping Ice Time of two NHL players in a given game? This would require comparing every shift of Player A with every other shift of Player B. I can think of a very long way of doing it but was just wondering if there was a short, quick formula that I could use to save some time.

Any ideas?

cappingsports

By the way, is this even possible in Excel or would I be better off hiring a programmer to do this?

dr_wolf
    dr_wolf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19055

it is possible but what you want to compare? and the result what do you need to see?

cappingsports

I want to total the time that each player spent on the ice with each of his teammates.

For example, if two players each complete 30 shifts in an NHL game, if I know the Start Time of each shift and the End Time of each shift for both players, how much time did they spend on the ice together in total?

cappingsports

Problem solved. Bit of hard work overnight and into the early hours of the morning has resulted in me finding a solution to my problem. Now I only need to input the name of Player A and Player B and it will tell me how much time they spent on the ice together during that particular game. Wonderful!