Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    that guy for cubs if he's still playing hendrick
    Was thinking Hendricks and Zach Davies.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16012

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Do any current MLB pitcher throw under 90?
    I know the Giants have one in Tyler Rogers who actually throws his fastball at an average of 83 mph. He's a sidewinder who actually drops all the way down with his delivery. As for starters I imagine there aren't many out there but as the guys have mentioned Kyle Hendricks is one.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10137

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    Yeah this whole thing is crazy. He just may be damaged goods so he's lucky if he gets anything at this point.
    There seemingly is no end to free-agent shortstop Carlos Correa's roller-coaster offseason.T
    The New York Mets reportedly are growing "very frustrated" with the ongoing Correa negotiations and are considering an exit from the sweepstakes.
    SportsNet New York's Andy Martino reported Friday, citing sources, that both sides believe there still is a "strong chance of reaching an agreement," but the Mets now are seriously pondering walking away.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Dodgers DFA Bauer. Will another team pick him up?

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 537

The Red Sox finalized their contract with veteran infielder Justin Turner this afternoon. Initial reports on the deal, which was agreed upon in December, were a bit variable.
    Jon Heyman of the New York Post specified the details this afternoon (on Twitter). It’s officially a two-year, $21.7MM guarantee that comes with an average annual value of $10.85MM. The deal also contains up to $1MM in incentives that’d max out if he reaches 560 plate appearances. As previously reported, Turner will have the opportunity to opt out after the 2023 campaign.
    The Vayner Sports client will make an $8.3MM salary this year. At season’s end, he’ll have to decide on either a $13.4MM player option or a $6.7MM buyout to head back to free agency. That lofty buyout means Turner would collect $15MM for one season if he opts out, and he’d only have to top $6.7MM on the open market to come out ahead financially. Matching or topping the .278/.350/.438 line he posted through 532 plate appearances during his final season with the Dodgers should allow him to fairly easily beat that figure.
    The two-time All-Star spent nine seasons in Southern California after his first few years as a role player with the Orioles and Mets. He took to Twitter this evening to thank the Dodgers organization and its fans after officially putting pen to paper with Boston.
    With Rafael Devers and Triston Casas set to man the corner infield, Turner seems likely to spend a decent amount of time at designated hitter in 2023. He’ll be replacing J.D. Martinez, who coincidentally landed in Los Angeles on a one-year free agent deal.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47529

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    Happy to see that they need pitching.

Would not be surprised if no team picked him up because they are scared of the backlash.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post

Would not be surprised if no team picked him up because they are scared of the backlash.
    agreed times 2!

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 434

Baur is done. I remember when he threw the ball over center field when the Cleveland coach came out to pull him

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

He's probably pitched his last game in MLB. Just a bad PR nightmare if another team signs him.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Bauer doesn’t need another chance.

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Baur is done. I remember when he threw the ball over center field when the Cleveland coach came out to pull him
    Ya, I remember that.

I remember Rob Dibble doing it also in late 80s or early 90s.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Bauer doesn’t need another chance.
    He needs to go away.....

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

I guess Bauer can pitch in Mexico or Japan

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

I guess Bauer can pitch in Mexico or Japan
    That's likely what happens those teams over there don't care what you've done in your personal life so they'll take a chance on him. If he still wants to pitch that's probably his best bet.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Send him to Mexico, that’s fine.

EmpireMaker

White Sox closer Liam Hendriks announced on his Instagram page tonight that he will be starting treatment tomorrow for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
    Hearing the word ’cancer’ came as a shock to my wife and I, as it does to millions of families each year. However, I am resolved to embrace the fight and overcome this new challenge with the same determination I have used when facing other obstacles in my life,” Hendriks wrote. “My treatment begins tomorrow, and I am confident that I will make a full recovery and be back on the mound as soon as possible. I know with the support of my wife, my family, my teammates, and the Chicago White Sox organization, along with the treatment and care from my doctors, I will get through this.”
    White Sox GM Rick Hahn also released a statement on behalf of the team: “Our thoughts and reactions at this time are for Liam the person, not Liam the baseball player. I know the entire Chicago White Sox organization, our staff, his teammates, and certainly White Sox fans, will rally in support of Liam and Kristi during the coming months. Knowing everyone involved, especially Liam, we are optimistic he will pitch again for the White Sox as soon as viable. In the meantime, we all will do everything in our power to support our teammate and his family as they face this challenge, while also respecting their privacy. We do not expect to have any updates on Liam’s playing status prior to Opening Day at the very earliest.”
    Hendriks celebrates his 34th birthday in February, and the native of Perth, Australia is coming off his third All-Star season. Beginning his big league career with the Twins in 2011, it took Hendriks until 2015 (as a member of the Blue Jays) to really break out, which kicked off a run of four solid but unspectacular seasons of bullpen work. In 2019, however, Hendriks took things to another level, as he has emerged as one of the game’s best closers after posting a 2.26 ERA, 38.8% strikeout rate, and 5.1% walk rate over 239 innings since start of the 2019 campaign.
    All three of Hendriks’ All-Star selections have come in that dominant four-year stretch, and it led to a big free agent payday during the 2020-21 offseason. Hendriks is two seasons into a three-year, $54MM deal with the White Sox that includes a unique $15MM club option for 2024 that also carries a $15MM buyout (which would be covered in deferred payments if the Sox did decline the option).
    Beyond his success on the field, Hendriks is also a widely popular player, beloved by teammates and fans alike. Today’s news has already started an outpouring of support for Hendriks on social media, and we at MLB Trade Rumors join the rest of the baseball world in wishing him a full recovery.
    Hahn’s statement provided some rough idea of a timeline for how long Hendriks might be sidelined, though obviously the situation is very fluid. Pitching is naturally just about the last thing on Hendriks’ mind at the moment, and for the White Sox as well, simply getting their friend and teammate healthy is infinitely more important than roster impact.
    There is no easy way to replace Hendriks in Chicago’s bullpen, as while Kendall Graveman is probably the likeliest candidate to step in as closer, bumping everyone up the depth chart leaves the White Sox relief corps thinner as a whole. There had been some trade buzz surrounding Hendriks earlier this winter, as the Mets and other teams had interest in adding a high-end reliever, and there was some thought that the White Sox could move Hendriks (and his contract) as a way to address other roster needs without expanding the budget.

EmpireMaker

The Marlins’ Pablo Lopez has often come up in trade rumors, but according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, Lopez is just one of four starters that the Marlins are telling other teams are available in trade talks. The other three are Edward Cabrera, Trevor Rogers and Jesus Luzardo. It’s been widely reported for quite some time that the Marlins were willing to tap into their pitching surplus in trades, but this sheds more light on who the Marlins are willing to trade and who’s seemingly off limits.
    The Marlins have a solid stable of controllable pitching with ace Sandy Alcantara and youngster Braxton Garrett joining that quartet, as well as a group of young arms including Sixto Sanchez, Eury Perez and Max Meyer who should be able to help the big league club within the next few seasons. As such, there’s definitely a surplus of pitching in Miami and the team could well look to offload an arm to bolster their offense.
    Last summer, it was reported that the Yankees came close to a deal that would’ve sent Lopez to the Bronx in a deal involving Gleyber Torres. It was also reported this winter that the Marlins and Rockies discussed a deal involving Cabrera and Brendan Rodgers, so it’s not secret that Miami is listening on some of their starters. Notably, both of the two players the Fish would have acquired in those trades are second basemen, but they’ve recently gone out and picked up Jean Segura to bolster their infield group.
    Instead, the team could look to turn one of their starters into an outfielder. The Padres have been linked with adding another starter, and have reportedly shown a willingness to trade Trent Grisham, so there could be a match there. It’s also been reported that the Pirates are seeking young pitching to headline any deal for Bryan Reynolds, so if the Marlins are really keen to make a big splash perhaps floating Cabrera as part of a deal would get Pittsburgh’s attention.
    With six years of control remaining, Cabrera, 24, would certainly be an attractive acquisition for pitching hungry teams. A former top-100 prospect, he tossed 71 2/3 innings of 3.01 ERA ball for the Fish last year, with a solid 25.8% strikeout rate and an 11.3% walk rate.
    Luzardo, 25, is hitting arbitration for the first time this year as a Super Two player, and is projected (via Matt Swartz) to make $2MM in 2023. He put together a 3.32 ERA over 100 1/3 innings with a very strong 30% strikeout rate and an 8.8% walk rate. He missed about two-and-a-half months last season with a forearm strain, but a full season of his output would make for a quality starting pitcher. The left-hander is under control for four more years.
    Rogers, 25, was excellent in 2021, but took a step back in 2022. The southpaw made the All Star game in ’21 during a season in which he threw 133 innings of 2.64 ERA ball. That was followed up by 107 innings of 5.47 ERA ball in ’22, as Rogers saw his strikeout rate drop by about 6% and his walk rate jump by a percentage point. He also saw his HR/FB rate jump from just 5% in 2021 to 13.2% last year. Rogers is under control for four more seasons, and is due to hit arbitration for the first time next winter.
    Lopez, 27 in March, was a steady presence in the rotation for the Fish last season, hurling 180 innings of 3.75 ERA ball over 32 starts. He may not possess the upside of the three younger pitchers, but Lopez has been a consistent pitcher for a few years now, finishing up with ERAs of 3.61, 3.07 and 3.75 in the past three years. Projected to make $5.6MM through arbitration this year, he’s under control for another two seasons and would slot nicely into the middle of a lot of rotations around baseball.

JAKEPEAVY21

Sad news about Hendricks, hopefully he has a full recovery.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

since the dodgers are paying his salary i'm sure some team won't mind taking bauer on the cheap, maybe like the texas rangers who are going for a title

Otters27

I know the Giants have one in Tyler Rogers who actually throws his fastball at an average of 83 mph. He's a sidewinder who actually drops all the way down with his delivery. As for starters I imagine there aren't many out there but as the guys have mentioned Kyle Hendricks is one.
    Oh. I forgot about side arm guys.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Still no Correa deal, gotta happen this week.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Yeah that sucks. You never like to hear a guy gets cancer. Hopefully he beats it and can pitch again.

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO

Cancer Flipping sucks...Hope he does too...

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    since the dodgers are paying his salary i'm sure some team won't mind taking bauer on the cheap, maybe like the texas rangers who are going for a title
    Bauer is the new Bobby Bonilla

EmpireMaker

Talks between the Twins and Carlos Correa “have begun to accelerate,” report Dan Hayes and Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic. Minnesota rejoined the bidding late last week as talks between Correa’s camp and the Mets continued to drag on after New York had expressed concerns regarding his physical.
    Rosenthal and Hayes reiterate that the Mets are not necessarily out of the bidding. The Athletic characterizes discussions as “fluid.” It’s the firmest indication yet, however, that Correa to the Mets no longer appears an inevitability. Minnesota seems very much back in the mix.
    The Twins have maintained all offseason they hoped to retain the two-time All-Star after his season in the Twin Cities. There always seemed a strong possibility Correa would opt out of his three-year, $105.3MM pact after one season and land a more significant guarantee elsewhere. That has appeared to be the case on multiple occasions this offseason. The Twins reportedly put forth a ten-year, $285MM offer in December that fell well shy of the 13-year, $350MM pact to which Correa agreed with the Giants.
    Of course, the Giants deal fell through after San Francisco’s medical professionals raised concerns about Correa’s right leg. He’d fractured his leg as a prospect back in 2014, requiring surgery that ended that season. Correa returned at the start of the next year and has never had an injured list stint related to his leg as an MLB player. Giants medical staffers raised some questions about its long-term sustainability, however, and the agreement was called off on the eve of the introductory press conference.
    Correa and agent Scott Boras immediately pivoted to the Mets, agreeing to terms on a new 12-year, $315MM pact. That contract was also contingent on a physical, of course. New York’s doctors similarly took issue with Correa’s right leg, and the saga took another stunning twist.
    Unlike after the collapse of the San Francisco deal, Correa’s camp didn’t immediately pivot to other teams. They negotiated exclusively with the Mets for roughly two weeks (presumably in part delayed by the holiday season). Reports suggested New York was intent on instituting some injury protection in the contract, likely via a clause that’d reduce the club’s financial hit and/or allow them to get out of a certain portion of the deal if Correa missed significant time because of a right leg injury.
    Those talks seemingly hit a snag, and Boras reengaged with at least Minnesota last week. Andy Martino of SNY reported at the time that Mets brass was growing increasingly frustrated with discussions and had given some consideration to walking away from the deal entirely. There’s no indication they’ve done so, but Minnesota is again involved.
    The Twins will have their own concerns regarding Correa’s physical condition, to be sure. Correa passed a physical to sign his first contract with Minnesota last spring, but it’s possible the organization will evaluate things differently if looking at a commitment nearing or topping a decade in length than they did for a three-year guarantee. Correa spent the season in Minnesota but didn’t seem to undergo a significant medical evaluation after his initial physical, aside from imaging on a bruised finger suffered in May. Hayes and Rosenthal write that Correa didn’t appear in the Minnesota training room at any point in the season after returning from his finger issue.
    While that’s not all that surprising, it’s notable considering Correa had a late-September scare with his right leg. He spent some time on the ground after sliding into a base and then limped off the field. He remained in the game and didn’t miss any time, but he acknowledged after the contest he had felt some numbness and vibration in the leg, which he noted contained a metal plate that was put in during his 2014 surgery.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireMaker View Post
    Talks between the Twins and Carlos Correa “have begun to accelerate,” report Dan Hayes and Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic. Minnesota rejoined the bidding late last week as talks between Correa’s camp and the Mets continued to drag on after New York had expressed concerns regarding his physical.
    Rosenthal and Hayes reiterate that the Mets are not necessarily out of the bidding. The Athletic characterizes discussions as “fluid.” It’s the firmest indication yet, however, that Correa to the Mets no longer appears an inevitability. Minnesota seems very much back in the mix.
    The Twins have maintained all offseason they hoped to retain the two-time All-Star after his season in the Twin Cities. There always seemed a strong possibility Correa would opt out of his three-year, $105.3MM pact after one season and land a more significant guarantee elsewhere. That has appeared to be the case on multiple occasions this offseason. The Twins reportedly put forth a ten-year, $285MM offer in December that fell well shy of the 13-year, $350MM pact to which Correa agreed with the Giants.
    Of course, the Giants deal fell through after San Francisco’s medical professionals raised concerns about Correa’s right leg. He’d fractured his leg as a prospect back in 2014, requiring surgery that ended that season. Correa returned at the start of the next year and has never had an injured list stint related to his leg as an MLB player. Giants medical staffers raised some questions about its long-term sustainability, however, and the agreement was called off on the eve of the introductory press conference.
    Correa and agent Scott Boras immediately pivoted to the Mets, agreeing to terms on a new 12-year, $315MM pact. That contract was also contingent on a physical, of course. New York’s doctors similarly took issue with Correa’s right leg, and the saga took another stunning twist.
    Unlike after the collapse of the San Francisco deal, Correa’s camp didn’t immediately pivot to other teams. They negotiated exclusively with the Mets for roughly two weeks (presumably in part delayed by the holiday season). Reports suggested New York was intent on instituting some injury protection in the contract, likely via a clause that’d reduce the club’s financial hit and/or allow them to get out of a certain portion of the deal if Correa missed significant time because of a right leg injury.
    Those talks seemingly hit a snag, and Boras reengaged with at least Minnesota last week. Andy Martino of SNY reported at the time that Mets brass was growing increasingly frustrated with discussions and had given some consideration to walking away from the deal entirely. There’s no indication they’ve done so, but Minnesota is again involved.
    The Twins will have their own concerns regarding Correa’s physical condition, to be sure. Correa passed a physical to sign his first contract with Minnesota last spring, but it’s possible the organization will evaluate things differently if looking at a commitment nearing or topping a decade in length than they did for a three-year guarantee. Correa spent the season in Minnesota but didn’t seem to undergo a significant medical evaluation after his initial physical, aside from imaging on a bruised finger suffered in May. Hayes and Rosenthal write that Correa didn’t appear in the Minnesota training room at any point in the season after returning from his finger issue.
    While that’s not all that surprising, it’s notable considering Correa had a late-September scare with his right leg. He spent some time on the ground after sliding into a base and then limped off the field. He remained in the game and didn’t miss any time, but he acknowledged after the contest he had felt some numbness and vibration in the leg, which he noted contained a metal plate that was put in during his 2014 surgery.
    That'd be interesting if Correa ended up staying with the Twins after all. His free agency has been a mess and I think it would be cool if he actually didn't end up leaving the Twins.

JAKEPEAVY21

That'd be interesting if Correa ended up staying with the Twins after all. His free agency has been a mess and I think it would be cool if he actually didn't end up leaving the Twins.
    I'd like to see Correa go back to the AL.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO

Toronto signed Brandon Belt to a 1 year deal. SF Giants fans have wanted to get rid of this guy for the last 5 years. I think he has a couple good years left so good for him playing in the AL for a contender in the Blue Jays.

Otters27

You guys think Cody bellinger will have a comeback season?

batt33
    batt33's Avatar SBR PRO

Toronto signed Brandon Belt to a 1 year deal. SF Giants fans have wanted to get rid of this guy for the last 5 years. I think he has a couple good years left so good for him playing in the AL for a contender in the Blue Jays.
    Oh wow, Good for him! every year it seemed like that was a question mark. I'll never forget that 18th inning homerun against the nationals in the playoffs.... It was the End of the shift in firecamp and you could hear the yelling from various tents and trailers!

JAKEPEAVY21

Quote Originally Posted by batt33 View Post
    Oh wow, Good for him! every year it seemed like that was a question mark. I'll never forget that 18th inning homerun against the nationals in the playoffs.... It was the End of the shift in firecamp and you could hear the yelling from various tents and trailers!
    I saw plenty of Belt over the years and feel like he is underrated. He draws a lot of walks and works the pitchers and most always has a high OBP. I'm happy to see him move on and feel like he can add something to that Toronto team.

JAKEPEAVY21

Correa signs with Twins 6 years 200 million...

He did pretty damn well all things considered, and the average per year went way up. Yes, it's more of his prime years but he can maybe sign another contract when this is up and end up making more money overall.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

let's see if he can pass a physical, i think the mets and giants in the long run will feel good about not signing this guy to a long term deal

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Carlo Correa might get signed by the Twins....might

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO

Twins with a huge win.

First 12345 ... Last