demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Demens Movie Thread

Well since everyone was begging me to start my own thread i figured i would comply.

Of course its not a thread sharing my amazing picks and sports knowledge. I'm gonna post here whenever i see a decent flick. Anything from Hollywood blockbusters to unknown indies will go in here.

Here is one for today.

Punching the clown 8/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1192624/

I sometime take a chance on a something completely unknown. For the most part its disappointing but once in a while you can stumble onto a real gem that makes it all worth it. This one was a brilliant and unique comedy. Its about some guy that does satirical folk songs, moves to LA to try and make a career out of it. The good thing about this movie is that you'll know whether you like it or not in the 1st 15 min, if you dont laugh by then then its not your style of humor might as well turn it off.

demens
    Square -910

The Kings Speech 6/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1504320/

Normally i wouldn't bother mentioning a movie that a thought was pretty mediocre. After watching it I was surprised to learn and this one was nominated for Best Picture so i figured i'd share my thoughts on it. Maybe i shouldn't be surprised given the films content, historical representation and a marvelous performance by Colin Firth. However other then the performance it played like a cliche ridden drama in the back drop of an original context. Its about King George VI and his battle with his speech impediment on his way to becoming the King. I just felt that some of it seem forced, the psychology was so simplistic it almost made you wonder why he had this problem to begin with and noone was able to help him. But it is an interesting story worth checking out for the acting alone. The Academy loves as they handed out 12 nominations, so that might be a good reason to check it out as well.

demens
    Square -910

YorkHunt
    I JUST RELEASED
    YorkHunt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1507

any adult film reviews

demens
    Square -910

Muddy
    Muddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3671

Give us your take on the Inception concept/ending. I think I will rent it again.

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    Give us your take on the Inception concept/ending. I think I will rent it again.
    Ehh, its awesome to put it simply. One of my favs this year, i'd give it a 9/10 easily. Was gonna review it when i did some of the other Oscar noms but its been a while since i've watched it so some of it is hard to remember. Plus i dont think anyone actually gives a shit enough to read this anyway which is why i dont bother writing the small reviews, just keeping a record of movies i liked for myself.

The concept is just brilliant, what else is there to say. Very creative, original (even though it borrows some ideas from other places). If the movie had a bit of a flaw i thought that some of the characters where underdeveloped. I wasn't really buying into the relationship between Leo's character and the new gril member of their team. Also they all seemed very selfish and untrustworthy when the whole thing was being put together yet their action showed a lot of loyalty to each other. That didn't make too much sense to me.

I dont know if Nolan ever admitted it but i'm certain one of the inspiration for this concept was an Asian anime called Paprika which is another stunning movie. Inception is a bit different with the idea of triple dream sequences but Paprika had the idea a machine that controls your dream 1st. Def recommend to check it out if you are comfortable with anime, i know lots of people have a hard time with it.

As for the ending, its left ambiguous and i think its best to leave it alone. There are hints at all types of philosophical ideas through out the movie, perception of reality, spirituality and all kinds of crazy stuff. I'd rather not read too much into. I think it takes away from the incredible experience this movie is if you walk away with the "what did it all mean" simplistic view on it, dont file it in the category of "was it all a dream" movie endings because i dont think it matters.

I've been wanting to watch it again for while, might do it now. Just to make it official.

Inception 9/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/
    Paprika 9/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851578/

hostile takeover
    hostile takeover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5372

Saw Inception for the first time the other night. really liked it, been having messed up dreams/ sleep patterns the past couple nights though.

I also try not to over think the ending... better to just enjoy it for what it's worth.

I'll check out Paprika, hopefully it's on Netfilx.

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 494

have you seen get low? thinking about checking it out.

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
    have you seen get low? thinking about checking it out.
    Yeap, i actually wasn't a big fan of it. Super slow, story wasn't all that interesting to me, folksy legend about nothing really. Watched the trailer now and its basically the whole movie aside from the end. They keep calling him (the main character) interesting and mysterious, they talked about how people were telling stories about him yet there was no stories at all, just his 1 main secret which again i didn't find very interesting. I thought the ending was pretty bad. It was touching when the "mystery" was reveled but instead of ending a boring the movie on a strong note it went on for another 5 minutes for no reason with some very cliche scenes. Bill Murray and Robert Duvall were both great in it, but i was bored anyway.

It has gotten really good reviews so you might as well check it anyway, watch the trailer on imbd it should give you a good idea of what the movie is like, just imagine that same trailer stretched over 2 hours without adding anything of substance to it.

Get Low 5/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1194263/

bradnowell
    bradnowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 181

just watched machete.. pretty crazy movie

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by bradnowell View Post
    just watched machete.. pretty crazy movie
    Michelle Rodriguez looked stunning in that one. I used to consider Jessica Alba one of the hottest women in the world and Michelle totally outshined her.

Double Bogey
    Double Bogey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1472

I'll have to Che k out paprika, as I loved Incepcion. Thought it was great.

sharper2
    sharper2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6817

just watched due date and loved it, both characters were fantastic, your take on it though?

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Demens, watch "Le huitieme jour" and tell us what you think about this gem

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by sharper2 View Post
    just watched due date and loved it, both characters were fantastic, your take on it though?
    I thought Due Date was beyond bad. Comedy is subjective though. For me there was about 2 laughs the whole movie and that was in the end when they had the fake 2 and a half men episode and i'm far from a fan of that show. I actually like Zach Galifanakis (or whatever his name is) but in smaller portions. He can't carry a movie as a lead even with Downey Jr along side who i think is great. They were horrible in this one, both of them.

Due Date 4/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1231583/

Quote Originally Posted by pronk View Post
    Demens, watch "Le huitieme jour" and tell us what you think about this gem
    I will surely check this out whenever i get the chance as i loved Jaco Van Dormaels last movie Mr.Nobody. Have you seen it Pronk? Oddly its his only movie in 13 years since Le Huitieme Jour . I thought it was an absolute mind ****. On the level of Inception except without the action since its just a drama. Matter of fact this is another highly, highly recommended movie from me. Crazy concepts in that one.

Mr. Nobody 9/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485947/

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 494

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    Yeap, i actually wasn't a big fan of it. Super slow, story wasn't all that interesting to me, folksy legend about nothing really. Watched the trailer now and its basically the whole movie aside from the end. They keep calling him (the main character) interesting and mysterious, they talked about how people were telling stories about him yet there was no stories at all, just his 1 main secret which again i didn't find very interesting. I thought the ending was pretty bad. It was touching when the "mystery" was reveled but instead of ending a boring the movie on a strong note it went on for another 5 minutes for no reason with some very cliche scenes. Bill Murray and Robert Duvall were both great in it, but i was bored anyway.

It has gotten really good reviews so you might as well check it anyway, watch the trailer on imbd it should give you a good idea of what the movie is like, just imagine that same trailer stretched over 2 hours without adding anything of substance to it.

Get Low 5/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1194263/
    that sucks to hear. thanks for the review though.

demens
    Square -910

demens
    Square -910

The man from nowhere 8/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527788/

Another excellent South Korean flick.

The Warriors Way 7/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032751/

Bad movie but some pretty cool action. I'm normally not an action fan but occasionally even a bad movie can get it right. The main character is just pure badass. Come to think of it, i can say the same about Man from Nowhere as well.