JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12325

Self driving cars can't be trusted yet.

The science is still flawed and not bullet proof.

Take the time to read and fully understand this link below and if you have a mathematical mind you will understand.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/f...=pocket-newtab

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

A self driving car is essentially a guided missile on wheels.

They'll never be viable.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post

They'll never be viable
    Nope. Not until the rest of the world they are traveling on is also Automic so that they can communicate with it.

Sanity Check

Remember when Timothy McVeigh loaded a uhaul truck full of explosives and detonated it in the oklahoma city bombing?

Imagine what he might have done if he had a self driving truck that could autonomously deliver a payload anywhere in the country.

Self driving vehicles will never be viable imo. They could spend trillions of dollars on security and kids living in their parents basements would still be hacking their networks. The technology would never be secure or reliable.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

I represented GM for years in products liability suits back in the nineties, and plaintiffs often had to search for a "defect" to blame GM for their own stupidity for being critically injured in a wreck that was usually their fault or the fault of an under-insured driver.... "yah, I was driving drunk, but it was the JDC seatbelt buckle that magically came unbuckled -- through "inertial unlatch" -- during the crash that caused me to be ejected from the vehicle, not that I was too wasted to latch it myself in the first place"..... Or, "yah, I know I took the 20 mph curving off ramp at 80 mph, rolled the vehicle six times, such that the fireman had to pry the door open by busting the door latch, but because the door latch is a known defect, I'm going to ask a jury to ignore the video of the fireman actually breaking the door latch in this case, and sue GM under that theory".....

point is, every time one of these fukkin' cars gets in a wreck, some asshole is going to claim the fukkin' thing malfunctioned.... potential liability to the owners or third parties in wrecks with these things is going to dwarf all the shit plaintiffs used to claim in products liability lawsuits in the past against the manufacturers that make them.....

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

I think Mercedes is launching a self driver for regular use next year

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

if you don't want to drive your fukkin' car, just hire a fukkin' driver......

kashkenny120
    kashkenny120's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1160

Imagine programming your car to drive you home from work and never waking up, involved in accident. No thanks.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7052

I had a 7 hour drive the other day and let me tell you... A LOT of people need those damn self driving cars

idiots that stay in the fast lane while driving 3 MPH over the speed limit and keep others from moving along due to the other lane being clogged up with a semi... other box trucks, etc

don't be an ass just to be an ass because someone else is driving faster in a nicer car or an old beater that looks like it would fall apart if the car went over 50 mph

just get the fukk out of the fast lane and let people pass you... I'm in the fast lane going 80 in a 70 and I notice a couple cars slowly gaining on me... I get over if at all possible and let them move along then I hop back over

people that don't know how to signal, people that can't pay attention and get in the right lane before they are less than a few seconds from their next exit

it's 2019... know where you are going and pay attention. it's not that hard with all the technology we have
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: bigtymer56

Evil M.D.
    Evil M.D.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 73

Remember when Timothy McVeigh loaded a uhaul truck full of explosives and detonated it in the oklahoma city bombing?

Imagine what he might have done if he had a self driving truck that could autonomously deliver a payload anywhere in the country.

Self driving vehicles will never be viable imo. They could spend trillions of dollars on security and kids living in their parents basements would still be hacking their networks. The technology would never be secure or reliable.
    You must can't imagine anything past 5 years from now. SMH.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    I think Mercedes is launching a self driver for regular use next year
    Self driving cars are definitely coming. Too much money invested in the technology now.

Congress is about to pass a bill any day now approving them.. You know those congress men and women are getting greased under the table to pass it..

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/28/8...bill-redo-2019

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8985

Dealing with my car malfunctioning or dealing with all the other morons on the road.....yea, bring on the automated vehicles.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20865

A lot of the same stuff was said about cars when they were first invented. But they didn't go away. Self-driving cars aren't going away, either.

newton0038
    Update your status
    newton0038's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1889

Self driving cars will not work on the current highway systems, the scanning and interpreting the data is an immense load on the descision making chip. Now if a town would work with an autonomous vehicle manufaturer and integrate sensors and current road conditions etc into a multiway communicating system between the road and other autonomous vehicles, we could see it actualy work incident free in the next decade.
    Then we will want the fkin cars to fly next....cant keep up with the technology as it moves faster than life or municipalities/governments to get on board. Like most things in life that go for a shit is due to thhe fact there was no or little communication in what is/was happening between all involved parties.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

I could trust better if all cars were on electric rails in the streets.. Like electric trains then maybe it could be a self run system of traffic..

I don't trust a sensor system and GPS system self driven car driving me around town daily.. Oh hell no!!!

Love to see the self driving car sensor system deal with this?

Quatro Quatro
    Quatro Quatro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 82

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    I could trust better if all cars were on electric rails in the streets.. Like electric trains then maybe it could be a self run system of traffic..

I don't trust a sensor system and GPS system self driven car driving me around town daily.. Oh hell no!!!

Easy, self driving car would know if anything is in its blind spot and then it would maneuver quickly.
    The guy driving probably wasn’t paying attention.

Quatro Quatro

And then it would alert every other vehicle of the situation

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

^^ That's like the movie UPGRADE!!! Sorry AI is not that smart and fast yet to respond to flying objects in the sky like that tire.. Sensors will not sense that ...

Try watching this movie in the link below you won't regret, very underrated Sci-FI movie - Great movie I loved it!!!

https://www9.0123movies.com/movies-u...123movies.html

Sanity Check

Behold the self driving train ^.

Behold the self driving 737 ^.

Yeh sorry. Self driving cars are never gonna happen.

Its only a marketing gimmick.
    Last edited by Sanity Check; 07-30-19 at 10:56 PM.

Baraldsson
    Baraldsson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 660

Driver in front clearly sees it coming and swerves to avoid it.
    Points Awarded:

Esco gave Baraldsson 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Quatro Quatro

Behold the self driving train ^.

Behold the self driving 737 ^.

Yeh sorry. Self driving cars are never gonna happen.

Its only a marketing gimmick.
    Boeing? Seriously? What does that have to do with self driving cars?

The planes went down because the airlines that purchased them didn’t purchase all the extra upgrades. And shitty pilots.

Esco
    Esco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2725

They'll never be viable
    Another issue is most people like driving.
    Whats the point in owning a BMW, Benz or Ferrari if you cant drive the damn thing yourself??

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47745

maybe I'm too much of a control freak but I can't see myself ever trusting a self driving car.

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by Quatro Quatro View Post
    Boeing? Seriously? What does that have to do with self driving cars?

The planes went down because the airlines that purchased them didn’t purchase all the extra upgrades. And shitty pilots.
    In the final, harrowing seconds of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302, the pilots tried desperately to keep their Boeing 737 Max aloft.
    Nothing worked. Not pulling back on the yoke to try to get the nose up. Not attempting to adjust the trim, the preliminary report on the crash would show. Making matters worse, multiple alarms, clackers and other audible warnings distracted the pair. The jet crashed in March outside Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, killing 157.
    The crash laid bare Boeing's shortcomings in having designed an automated flight system that overrode the actions of the flight crew.

The crash followed another about five months earlier involving another 737 Max flown by Lion Air. That plane plummeted into the Java Sea, killing 189. In both crashes, probes revealed an automated system repeatedly pointed the planes' noses down as pilots tried to pull up. Boeing had installed the system to compensate for larger engines positioned farther forward on the wing.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aa/1641781001/

It was the automated fly by wire software that fukked up ^

Baraldsson
    Baraldsson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 660

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    maybe I'm too much of a control freak but I can't see myself ever trusting a self driving car.
    Agreed.

Think of all the stupid, unexplainable problems you've ever encountered with TVs, phones, washing machines, computers etc when they've just decided not to function like they're supposed to for absolutely no good reason whatsoever.

One day, and probably in the not too distant future, we'll be looking back at the idea of putting our trust in self-driving cars and asking ourselves what the hell we were thinking.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JAKEPEAVY21

Quatro Quatro

In the final, harrowing seconds of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302, the pilots tried desperately to keep their Boeing 737 Max aloft.
    Nothing worked. Not pulling back on the yoke to try to get the nose up. Not attempting to adjust the trim, the preliminary report on the crash would show. Making matters worse, multiple alarms, clackers and other audible warnings distracted the pair. The jet crashed in March outside Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, killing 157.
    The crash laid bare Boeing's shortcomings in having designed an automated flight system that overrode the actions of the flight crew.

The crash followed another about five months earlier involving another 737 Max flown by Lion Air. That plane plummeted into the Java Sea, killing 189. In both crashes, probes revealed an automated system repeatedly pointed the planes' noses down as pilots tried to pull up. Boeing had installed the system to compensate for larger engines positioned farther forward on the wing.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aa/1641781001/

It was the automated fly by wire software that fukked up ^
    You didn’t even read your shitty article. They mostly blames the shitty pilots.

Sanity Check

You didn’t even read your shitty article. They mostly blames the shitty pilots.
    Quote the article where they "blame" pilots.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I'd like to see the outcome of the dude who swerved. That was a quick move going 70mph+ I wonder if he lost control or not?

Quatro Quatro

Quote the article where they "blame" pilots.
    It’s the headline of the article. Doh!
    And I guess you didn’t notice it was a couple foreign airlines that went down.
    I’m not trying to defend Boeing, fukk them, I live right next to there delivery center and I won’t fly on a Boeing plane, but when you can gain hours using a simulator, something is wrong.

Sanity Check

It’s the headline of the article. Doh!
    when you can gain hours using a simulator, something is wrong.
    Pilot hours weren't a relevent issue.

More recent investigations showed boeing cut corners and broke standard safety practices in developing the flawed software causing the crash.

Before Ethiopian Crash, Boeing Resisted Pilots’ Calls for Aggressive Steps on 737 Max

Weeks after the first fatal crash of the 737 Max, pilots from American Airlines pressed Boeing executives to work urgently on a fix. In a closed-door meeting, they even argued that Boeing should push authorities to take an emergency measure that would likely result in the grounding of the Max.
    The Boeing executives resisted. They didn’t want to rush out a fix, and said they expected pilots to be able to handle problems.

Less than four months later, an Ethiopian Airlines flight crashed, killing all 157 people on board. The flawed anti-stall system played a role in both disasters.
    Boeing is facing intense scrutiny for the design and certification of the Max, as well as for its response to the two crashes. There are multiple investigations into the development of the Max. And in recent days, unions representing pilots from American Airlines and Southwest Airlines have received federal grand jury subpoenas for any documents related to Boeing’s communications about the jet, according to three people with knowledge of the matter.
    The Federal Aviation Administration is also under fire for its role in approving the Max, and its decision to wait for days after the second crash to ground the plane. At a Wednesday congressional hearing, lawmakers will grill federal regulators about how the Max was certified.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/b...ane-crash.html

Quatro Quatro

Pilots hours were a relevant issue. It is a known fact that the first crash the pilots didn’t know how to turn off the mcas. That’s the reason the damn planet crashed!
    Not sure why you’re bothering mentioning Boeing cutting corners, im not talking about that.

Sanity Check

Pilots hours were a relevant issue. It is a known fact that the first crash the pilots didn’t know how to turn off the mcas. That’s the reason the damn planet crashed!
    Not sure why you’re bothering mentioning Boeing cutting corners, im not talking about that.
    Boeing failed to provide pilots with documentation on turning MCAS off.

Pilot error? No.

Quatro Quatro

Boeing failed to provide pilots with documentation on turning MCAS off.

Pilot error? No.
    Also false, the second plane that crashed mcas was turned off but too late.

SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2939

People driving cars have more deaths still