Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Living With Family - Anyone Do It?

I'm not talking about two young siblings living together. I'm talking about married with/without kids and having an ailing sibling or parent live with you. Sounds simultaneously like a nightmare (no private tone/space) and the right thing to do. Any experience?

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

It can work, plus your fam has always been there for you.(assuming, since you posed the ?) I could see my parents moving in with me, once they start needing enough help that it would make sense. If you asked me a few years back I would have said "no way I'm living with my parents again", but I guess it would be them living with me.

I have a friend from grade school, growing up he lived in a house with: His dad,sister,aunt and uncle and grandparents. 7 total. They had a big enough house that it didn't seem crowded. I always thought it was a little weird. looking back, it seemed to have worked, they were happy.

Conan
    Conan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 818

i rent an apartment from my grandparents its a 3 unit place one unit me and my gf one unit my grandparents and one unit my aunt and her roommates gets a little crazy my aunt is batshit completely nuts and my grandparents are getting a bit senile but its nice to have family around.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Family is what you make it. There are no rules because someone is "family".

brainfreeze
    Meaning
    brainfreeze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 291

My grandmother has dementia, Taking care of someone like this,...hard isn't the word. She's been living with me 3 years now. Then you have sitters and meds, physical therapy, it's like having another child. I wasn't my grandmas favorite or nothing, just doing it because it's the right thing to do and I know my sisters would never give themselves up to do anything, so here I am. Bone...it's hard
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: tb1984

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47596

"Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." - Benjamin Franklin

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by brainfreeze View Post
    My grandmother has dementia, Taking care of someone like this,...hard isn't the word. She's been living with me 3 years now. Then you have sitters and meds, physical therapy, it's like having another child. I wasn't my grandmas favorite or nothing, just doing it because it's the right thing to do and I know my sisters would never give themselves up to do anything, so here I am. Bone...it's hard
    Sucks man good for you

brainfreeze
    Meaning

Thanks Cent!

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Very noble thing you are doing brainfreeze. In Asian countries it is not uncommon for parents to love with their children when they are elderly. In America we just stick our parents away in nursing homes or assisted living facilities. There is something to be said for family.

tb1984
    tb1984's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1083

Quote Originally Posted by brainfreeze View Post

brainfreeze, you're right, that's the right thing to do... Just believe in karma.

brainfreeze
    Meaning

Quote Originally Posted by tb1984 View Post

brainfreeze, you're right, that's the right thing to do... Just believe in karma.
    na tb1984, I don't believe in a karma... I believe in a all knowing powerful God. Jesus... Bible does say reap what you sow... I guess that's where the karma stuff comes from...

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4052

I am a caregiver for my 87 year old father. I moved into his house and do everything from housework to landscaping to driving him everywhere. I drive him every morning at 7am to the nursing home where he stays with my mother the entire day until 7pm when I pick him up and bring him home. It's tough. It wears you down watching your parents die slowly, day by day. I have only one brother and he is a Corporate Prick. Contributes absolutely nothing and shows up every couple months to brag about his Management job and Stock portfolio. My wife maintains our own separate home and I spend as much time with her and my son as possible. Yes, it sukks, but I know in my heart I am doing the right thing. At age 87, how much time does my father have left? Cherish every day guys because you never know if tomorrow is the end.
    Points Awarded:

existential gave TheGoldenGoose 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BatemanPatrickl, existential, tb1984, and TheCentaur

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post
    I am a caregiver for my 87 year old father. I moved into his house and do everything from housework to landscaping to driving him everywhere. I drive him every morning at 7am to the nursing home where he stays with my mother the entire day until 7pm when I pick him up and bring him home. It's tough. It wears you down watching your parents die slowly, day by day. I have only one brother and he is a Corporate Prick. Contributes absolutely nothing and shows up every couple months to brag about his Management job and Stock portfolio. My wife maintains our own separate home and I spend as much time with her and my son as possible. Yes, it sukks, but I know in my heart I am doing the right thing. At age 87, how much time does my father have left? Cherish every day guys because you never know if tomorrow is the end.
    Solid post GG. Lost my last grandmother last year; she was 94 years old. Tough to see people in nursing homes and assisted living facilities; they know it's their last stop. Have a great night.

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1626

im like will farrell from wedding crashers. life is great. my mom is a great cook

chipper
    chipper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2174

Hasn't happened yet but I'm pretty sure my wife is making plans to move her mother in with us at some point. I can't think of many things worse than the mother-in-law moving in but it's in the cards. When it happens, every small bit of joy left in my life will pretty much be gone.