zacher
    Armed Rodgery
    zacher's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1499

Bearing Sea Gold?

Anyone watch this show?

Its nuts a cheap little boat, pulls tens of thousands a summer.

Its funny I brought it up to my cousins the other day when we were talking one of the older ones went out there for two summers pulled in 22k in three months the first time and then he said like ~40k the second year.

This is working on someone else's boat he said it was him and another guy...

After hearing this I am thinking of an investment ahahah it cant be that hard of work I have definitely done worse.

Gold is the only commodity that won't lose value.

rkelly110
    rkelly110's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10600

I watch. A bunch of dysfunctionals up there. Those boats aren't cheap though. Some have investments of 500k.
    The boats have to be certified/ inspected by the coast guard also.

You could probably find enough gold by yourself for spending money with just a boat and some scuba gear.

Let's Go Rangers
    A moderate voice in the polarized forum
    Let's Go Rangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Where is the Bearing Sea

NYER5680
    NYER5680's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 77

Looks like a hard life if you are not making money.

Let's Go Rangers

Sounds like it would be a fun adventure if I was 35 or younger.

Sadly I'm an old guy and this would be too stressful for the possible reward.

zacher
    Armed Rodgery

lol well 22 with plenty of fight left, certified diver as well.

My cousin was up there studying environmental science in 2008-2012 and said he worked 2008 and 2009 before the show started, friends he has up there say now its just crazy how many people are out there trying just because the show.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Quote Originally Posted by zacher View Post
    lol well 22 with plenty of fight left, certified diver as well.

My cousin was up there studying environmental science in 2008-2012 and said he worked 2008 and 2009 before the show started, friends he has up there say now its just crazy how many people are out there trying just because the show.
    Better bet is to head to Dakota or offshore and just work the oil/gas jobs if you are able to just roam and pocket the money. Guaranteed work and pay with no risk of the overhead and travel costs to Alaska aren't cheap. Better return on time and money Zacher.

oneunder
    busted..disgusted..and not to be trusted
    oneunder's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22668

I spent the summers of 1983 and 84 in Nome.
    Most of the time out on the tundra and 2 weeks on the beach.. 1.5 miles out of town.

I went with the Gold Prospector's Association of America...they still have a camp right on the Bering Sea...check their website.

Looking back after all these years, I'm really glad that I did it. I'll never forget the time living on the beach.
    Spent lots of time in town and met some interesting people..Nome is truly the end of the road...characters that don't fit in anywhere else.

Don't think that such an adventure (with the GPAA) will pay for itself. Go for the experience, especially if you like to fish.
    I remember sitting around the fire eating 4 different kinds of salmon just pulled out of the Nome River.

Absolutely priceless memories.

Zacher, I would tell you to go for it (not with the GPAA) .... best of luck.

Oneunder

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Zacher another thing to consider, if you are talking about your own operation and not working for an existing boat...the claims process and bidding for a spot to dig. Not sure if certain areas are given out in a lotto fashion or bidded on or leased, but with any sort of mining operation you can't just show up, seas or land, and start digging without ponying up money for the rights and permits.

grekos
    grekos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13316

I enjoy the show a lot.Things that I question are they showing us how much they really are fetching and how bad is life when the weather is bad and no money?

Stocks
    Stocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

Just read the warning before or after the show. Gold dredging is not a get rich quick scheme. Out of the 5 or 6 dummies they have on the show they don't make much money. Even on Gold Rush how much money can they make. Get 500k in gold between 5 or 6 people -10% to the claim owner, minus an ass load for fuel, minus another ass load for equipment, then minus more money for food and shelter. When it's all over walking away with 50k each would be a good year.

zacher
    Armed Rodgery

no wouldn't be my own operation, but would be fun..

I actually have a friend I met in Vegas that lives in Canada we've met a couple times since we met a year ago in Vegas he owns a welding company that secures oil rigs in Canada, from when they sink the anchors up he welds together the whole rig and then is contracted for like 10 years to repair anything on that rid that requires a major weld or extension….end of story the money is great and he has 6 rigs plus a couple other projects he's contract for..

But yeah I wish I could head up to the Dakotas..have another buddy I graduated high school down in LA working offshore.

It was just fun to think about

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

most of these gold miners are just getting by, making enough money to blow on booze until the next week.

Watch Gem Hunt tonight on travel channel, crazy the kind of profit they pull.

Let's Go Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Stocks View Post
    Just read the warning before or after the show. Gold dredging is not a get rich quick scheme. Out of the 5 or 6 dummies they have on the show they don't make much money. Even on Gold Rush how much money can they make. Get 500k in gold between 5 or 6 people -10% to the claim owner, minus an ass load for fuel, minus another ass load for equipment, then minus more money for food and shelter. When it's all over walking away with 50k each would be a good year.
    You realize that's 50k for about 4 months ....maybe 6 tops work, right?

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4028

Quote Originally Posted by Stocks View Post

Exactly what I believe too.

The only people making any serious money on this deal are the equipment supply companies, the fuel dealers, and the guy who buys the gold and takes his 5% conversion fee.

Stocks
    Stocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post
    Exactly what I believe too.

The only people making any serious money on this deal are the equipment supply companies, the fuel dealers, and the guy who buys the gold and takes his 5% conversion fee.
    Ya there's a saying if you want to make a lot of money from mining gold sell gold mining equipment.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    most of these gold miners are just getting by, making enough money to blow on booze until the next week.

Watch Gem Hunt tonight on travel channel, crazy the kind of profit they pull.
    here is a place to watch all the gem hunt shows, stick to the novamov links. Just finished the first season, very entertaining.

http://www.watchseries-online.eu/cat...em-hunt/page/2

Discovery channel is also getting in the mix, Feb 28th new show called Game of Stones airs. Same type of stuff as the Gem Hunt but looks even better.