NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Anyone Work in Consulting or as a Contractor Before.....Need Advise in Career

Okay so I have spent the last 9 months working as a contractor or consultant for an IT company. Pay is decent, healthcare is minimal though offered by the head hunter company that got me the position.

Now a company that I took a test for and scored well in back in 2010 and did well in the interview wants to hire me full time and pay me about 38% more in salary than I am making right now working as a contractor.

But I signed up for one year to work as a contractor and still have three months left on that contract. They might even make me a full-time employee offer once the remaining three months are up.

What do I do?

NYSportsGuy210

Also am I even allowed to leave the contractor position before the year is up or do I get penalized somehow?

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

check your terms.

remember, headhunters and HR... biggest slimeball frauds on the planet

always do what's best for you and your family
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChalkyDog

NYSportsGuy210

What do you mean check my terms? To be honest with you I signed a 6 month contract and after it was up they didn't even ask me if I wanted to sign another one and just signed me up for another 6 months. I thought that was kind of shady.

But what terms would not allow me to leave when I want? It's a free country.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't know what kind of contract you have, how involved. Not that I give a fukk.

But anyways, when you deal w/ headhunters and HR people.... they are the slime of the earth and they don't give a rat's dick about you. If a HH can make commission off you, they'll be on your dick like a cat in heat.... if they deem otherwise, they'll ignore your calls and won't give you the time of day.

Bottom line, u gotta look out for #1.. and that person is you. Just weigh your options and offers, then proceed.

NYSportsGuy210

Well my options tell me right now because of higher salary and potential career growth and health benefits to take the job I was just offered instead. However how does the process work?

Do I have to give two weeks notice on the three months remaining on my contract? Or do I just not show up to work on the contract position anymore?

I don't get how this works.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Take the job, there is a lot at play here, most of it is not your problem.

What can they do? Sue you for beach of contract? Doubtful, especially if you fulfilled the first one, and have kept working.

Talk to the headhunter/person you are contracted with, and tell them the situation. Most likely you do not need 2weeks due to contract position, but it is courtesy - and the other (better) job understands, and probably is happy that you are willing to put in the final 2 weeks.

This is simple - you above all else.

NYSportsGuy210

Thanks Chalky Dog. I think I will follow suit on your advice.

NYSportsGuy210

I just wasnt sure if there was protocol on the matter.