poochiecollins
    poochiecollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 534

Help with making a graph

I apparently forget too much algebra. I'm trying to have one scale going from 4 to 9, with a value of 300 starting at four that decreases by 2/3 every point to 9. On my TI-83 calculator, I have set the window at:
    Xmin= 4
    Xmax= 9
    Xscl=1
    Ymin= 0
    Ymax=350
    Yscl= 10
    Xres= 1
    I made the function: y= 2/3x + 300

I graphed that, and a horizontal line formed at y=300. I want to be able to trace values of >300 part for every 1/10th of a point on the first scale, 4-9. What am I doing wrong?

princecharles
    princecharles's Avatar Become A Pro!

you can google a web based graph makin gsite..pretty good

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

Quote Originally Posted by poochiecollins View Post
    I apparently forget too much algebra. I'm trying to have one scale going from 4 to 9, with a value of 300 starting at four that decreases by 2/3 every point to 9. On my TI-83 calculator, I have set the window at:
    Xmin= 4
    Xmax= 9
    Xscl=1
    Ymin= 0
    Ymax=350
    Yscl= 10
    Xres= 1
    I made the function: y= 2/3x + 300

I graphed that, and a horizontal line formed at y=300. I want to be able to trace values of >300 part for every 1/10th of a point on the first scale, 4-9. What am I doing wrong?
    I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

I think it seems horizontal because of 1) the dimensions of your window and 2) the y-intercept just dominates the value of y for the domain you've chose for x.

I think the ti-83 has a feature that lets you get "y" for any "x" you input; check out the calc features (hit 2nd then trace). It may just be called "value".

Also, you could try adjusting your Xscl value to .1 (the scale of the x-axis), and the Ymin to 275.
    Last edited by Blax0r; 04-25-11 at 04:26 PM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: RudyRuetigger

poochiecollins

Quote Originally Posted by Blax0r View Post
    I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I think it seems horizontal because of 1) the dimensions of your window and 2) the y-intercept just dominates the value of y for the domain you've chose for x. I think the ti-83 has a feature that lets you get "y" for any "x" you input; check out the trace features (hit 2nd then trace). It may just be called "value". Also, you could try adjusting your Xscl value to .1 (the scale of the x-axis), and the Ymin to 275.
    I want the Y value to decrease by 2/3 for every point of X. So, where X is 4, Y is 300, X=5 where Y=200, 6 to 133, 7 to 89, 8 to 59, and 9 to 40, rounding off decimals. When I trace, the relation is nothing like that.

Edit: I've corrected the slope to negative 2/3x, so at least there's the negative trend moving right that I want. This stuff is slowly coming back to me

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

Quote Originally Posted by poochiecollins View Post
    I want the Y value to decrease by 2/3 for every point of X. So, where X is 4, Y is 300, X=5 where Y=200, 6 to 133, 7 to 89, 8 to 59, and 9 to 40, rounding off decimals. When I trace, the relation is nothing like that.

Edit: I've corrected the slope to negative 2/3x, so at least there's the negative trend moving right that I want. This stuff is slowly coming back to me
    ohh yea, flipping the slope should fix that. I missed that part in your original message. Also, I think you can get the ti-83 to tabulate the values (should be easy enough to google) so you don't have to worry about using the tracing tool on the graph screen.

also, i recommend getting the latest version of the ti-89; probably will cost around $150, but it's really worth it.

poochiecollins

Quote Originally Posted by Blax0r View Post
    ohh yea, flipping the slope should fix that. I missed that part in your original message. Also, I think you can get the ti-83 to tabulate the values (should be easy enough to google) so you don't have to worry about using the tracing tool on the graph screen. also, i recommend getting the latest version of the ti-89; probably will cost around $150, but it's really worth it.
    Oh, I guess I didn't make it clear in my last post that the graph's still not doing what I want. E.g. when I trace from 4 to 5 on the x-axis, the y-value goes from 300 to 297-something.

princecharles
    princecharles's Avatar Become A Pro!

How did the webbased idea work out>??;

poochiecollins

Quote Originally Posted by princecharles View Post
    How did the webbased idea work out>??;
    I've Googled for help a few times. One thing I found the other day is that I think to get the downward-sloping curve that the line should be, the slope would have to be a fractional power, like the cube route of two or something.

If there's an Internet tool that could create a line based on the relationship between multiple plot points, that'd be great and would also answer what I'm looking for, if anyone's aware of such or knows what to search.

dr_wolf
    dr_wolf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19055

First time you need to make 2 axes x,y and you you have a function f(x)=y so you need only to calculate the values >300,and after that compare the values.

poochiecollins

Quote Originally Posted by dr_wolf View Post
    First time you need to make 2 axes x,y and you you have a function f(x)=y so you need only to calculate the values >300,and after that compare the values.
    Why, since nothing goes over 300, within my parameters?