Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

Does anyone elses job consist of Cold Calling???

man I hate cold calling.... just sucks. I can't motivated for this bullshit. Thats why I spend so much time on SBR

I keep procrastinating in between calls. My job sucks I keep hoping that I start winning big gambling

anybody got an experience with cold calling? I need some tips... they keep giving me the run around on the phone.

Hard as fukk to get a decision maker on the phone

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24854

Cold calling would suck. Got a good referral system in place.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12975

Here's what you do...Call and ask for someone in accounting or some non related department. When they pick up the phone tell them you were looking for the decision maker (make sure you know that person's name) and could they transfer you. Your number won't show up on caller ID since it was transferred internally and you have a better chance of getting a live person.

Ice House

nice .. thanks

only problem is sometimes i don't know who that is.

my company gives me a script to read off of. they always "stick to the script son"

i usually have to pitch to 2 or 3 different people to get to the right person.

i thought about just saying can I speak to whoever handles your advertising? atleast i can save some breath this way

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by Ice House View Post
    nice .. thanks

only problem is sometimes i don't know who that is.

my company gives me a script to read off of. they always "stick to the script son"

i usually have to pitch to 2 or 3 different people to get to the right person.

i thought about just saying can I speak to whoever handles your advertising? atleast i can save some breath this way
    This technique takes some time so you may have to make a few calls to find out who you need to get to. I research the companies I am calling to find out who the most likely decision maker is. I usually start with owners and C level people and see where it goes. LinkedIn is a great tool for finding a lot of this info.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

I don't see how anyone could like cold calling. Most of my job these days is proofreading documents, which is rather dull, but I'd still take it every day of the week over cold calling.

DDT
    Head Mod In Charge
    DDT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2338

I'm in sales and I hardly ever cold call over the phone, I prefer going and meeting them in person. I know with some jobs that's not possible, but it is what I have had the most success with.
    Points Awarded:

Thehusker gave DDT 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Ice House

this is what I do...

I cold call to set up appointments. And then I give a sales presentation in person. I sell advertisements for a few different neighborhood newsletters.

If I don't want to cold call I can go business to business and try to set up appointments in person. I haven't tried that yet. Maybe I should do that. I just started doing this a few weeks ago.

CAS2550
    CAS2550's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

man I hate cold calling.... just sucks. I can't motivated for this bullshit. Thats why I spend so much time on SBR I keep procrastinating in between calls. My job sucks I keep hoping that I start winning big gambling anybody got an experience with cold calling? I need some tips... they keep giving me the run around on the phone. Hard as fukk to get a decision maker on the phone
    icehouse I do the same exact thing but for adverstising. i sit in front of a computer ALL day long (which i am presently doing) and call a$$holes all day long. its long and lame. but i make alright money doing it. do you? and since your fairly new are they ways to get higher up there?

Thehusker
    Thehusker's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am the best on the planet at it and if you have to ask you threw. Plain and simple move on. Sharks are gonna kill ya. Went from cold calling lawn care to brokering health insurance for large insurance company. I am paid to get CEO's interested and I can guarantee you that if you haven't ripped it at a low level there is no chance on top. Nursing is the best option, go back to school

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Nope. Went to college and got a real job.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: cant call it

Thehusker

ABC and network till your fukkin the sheriffs daughter ya dig.

Thehusker

CIC CISR SERIES 7 Bachelors, WVU your coal miner like the rest of them don't lie. They just pulled you out of the rubble a week ago.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5940

Keep your head up, Always Be Closing.

If you really can't stand it then hit the bricks pal and shine my ******* shoes. Go sit the bar around and talk about what a tough racket it is.

Always work out there for those who can sell and can take the abuse it requires.

And do NOT waste my ******* time

Last edited by stevek173; 10-06-11 at 02:40 PM.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

If I don't want to cold call I can go business to business and try to set up appointments in person. I haven't tried that yet. Maybe I should do that. I just started doing this a few weeks ago.
    If it says no soliciting on the door don't walk in. This pisses me off when salesmen do this and not only do you not have a chance, you will probably get cussed out.

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

That has to be a tough job, because you will get like 100 nos, and 1 yes. But you just got to keep going.

I am glad I am getting into Cost Accounting/Finance area, so i never have to do that type of work.

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hear yeah bud, cold calling is not fun, very uncomfortable IMO. When I was starting out I had to do some cold calling my first year and I hated it, felt like I was always bothering people.

However it is easier than having to go door to door unannounced and doing sales in person. B2B isn't that bad going to each one but having to go house to house just flat out blows.

Good Luck

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

The guy started a few weeks ago and he's selling advertising in local newsletters. It's obviously a grind and a stepping stone type of gig. Cut him some slack, everybody starts somewhere.

WvGambler

Quote Originally Posted by Thehusker View Post
    CIC CISR SERIES 7 Bachelors, WVU your coal miner like the rest of them don't lie. They just pulled you out of the rubble a week ago.
    I wish I was working in the mines. Miners make 70-80 grand a year genius.

stevek173

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    and die from the fumes at 50.

forloveofthegame
    forloveofthegame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 595

waste of fukkin time.. 150s no's for a yes or two.. tell the company to piss off

Ice House

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    If it says no soliciting on the door don't walk in. This pisses me off when salesmen do this and not only do you not have a chance, you will probably get cussed out.

is it still soliciting if I just ask if they are interested and I don't try to pitch them on the spot?

Ice House

Quote Originally Posted by forloveofthegame View Post
    waste of fukkin time.. 150s no's for a yes or two.. tell the company to piss off

Hell yeah man i'm calling like 150 people a week and i'm lucky if 10 will meet with me. Sooner or later I'm concerned that I will run out of people to call haha

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    Are you sure about about that 70k seems kind of high. Obviously some of the technicians will make that, but the average every day ones?

stevek173

Actually being serious man if you can hack it you really can do pretty well for yourself in sales.

I am in real estate and where as my leads are not "cold" per say because they are people who checked our website or something similar which I guess makes them warm. I do spend a lot of time having initial contacts with people and even though it can be tough, if your mind is in the right place when you land a sweet deal it can be very empowering. To me there are very few things in life sweeter than landing a deal that massively benefits a client and that we make some decent money on.

What I can tell you is this - you need a good product and you need to believe in what you are selling. If both of these things are true and you can hack it then there will always be work out there for you.

Good luck.

Ice House

I would not want to be a coal miner ... i get closterphobic and coal miners have a good chance of getting the black lung

Ice House

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post
    Actually being serious man if you can hack it you really can do pretty well for yourself in sales.

I am in real estate and where as my leads are not "cold" per say because they are people who checked our website or something similar which I guess makes them warm. I do spend a lot of time having initial contacts with people and even though it can be tough, if your mind is in the right place when you land a sweet deal it can be very empowering. TO me there is very few things in life sweeter than landing a deal that massively benefits a client and that we make some decent money on.

What I can tell you is this - you need a good product and you need to believe in what you are selling. If both of these things are true and you can hack it then there will always be work out there for you.

Good luck.

thanks. yeah i think it's all about positive attitude and keeping the energy level up. easier said than done though.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

is it still soliciting if I just ask if they are interested and I don't try to pitch them on the spot?

Of course it is. If they were interested they wouldnt have the sign up.

stevek173

thanks. yeah i think it's all about positive attitude and keeping the energy level up. easier said than done though.
    You need to believe in (not just be telling yourself you believe in) the product your are selling and the company you are working for for any of it to work man, I cannot emphasize this enough.
    Last edited by stevek173; 10-06-11 at 03:07 PM.

Ice House

haha even if you are polite?

Ice House

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post
    You need to believe in (not just be telling yourself you are) the product your are selling and the company you are working for for any of it to work man, I cannot emphasize this enough.

that is true. I believe in my product only problem is everyone keeps telling me they already used up their advertising budget.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

The no soliciting sign just means that they don't know they're interested yet.

Ice- your call volume is way light for this type of sale. You need to be making at least 75-100 outbound calls a day.

boneheaded1
    boneheaded1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

Ice - possible to make a living off betting but it takes a long time to grow the roll. The hard part is don't withdraw for personal reasons, only to open new accounts. Your money grows faster if you don't withdraw. Plus you'll need to move someplace close to Vegas/Reno when you become a serious money player unless you want offshore books hanging on to $100Ks of your hard earned money.

That said. Keep the job. Go back to school (nights/weekends, whatever). Something in the medical field is the way to go. Most jobs in the medical industry pay a decent wage. The aging poplution is already creating shortages of just about any type of medical field position. I would go for either nursing, respitory therapy, phlebotomy or X-ray tech. All you can do in less than two years (some even quicker) relatively quickly. Yeah, it takes time but DO IT!!!!! The learning time will be over before you know it. Consider that time a down payment on your future. It will pay off for you in the long run. The best thing about the medical field is you can travel with it.

Community colleges, vocational schools and private universities (Like Pheonix or some other such; which can help with financial aid and job placement assistance) are all places to check it out.

And lets not forget it's only temporary while you build your roll to retirement proportions. It will be easier to build your roll if you're making enough to where you don't have to keep pulling winnings and you can invest more into your roll.

Dude do it. Suffer a little now so you won't have to in the future. There is no real easy way to money (except the lottery). But once you have money, it's a little easier to a.) get more and b.)hold onto to what you have.

WvGambler

Quote Originally Posted by neverstoppers23 View Post
    Are you sure about about that 70k seems kind of high. Obviously some of the technicians will make that, but the average every day ones?
    Yea. I got a buddy who makes about 72,000 yearly. Another kid I know started a month ago making around 60,000.

Guys don't risk their lives for peanuts.

I'm sure there are some grunts who make much less too, but miners make good money.

stevek173

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    The no soliciting sign just means that they don't know they're interested yet.

Ice- your call volume is way light for this type of sale. You need to be making at least 75-100 outbound calls a day.
    100 should be the BARE minimum. Could not agree with this more. Especially with that kind of product.

When I started out in real estate it was 500+ calls a day, 12 hour days every day except sunday.

12 Last