Login Search

Honeybadger's picks

Last Post

Yeah, good idea man. I am not doing that great in the early rounds of RG myself, so I am also going to take it slow. As for Ana's chances, unfortunately her draw is not that easy, she'll have to deal probably with Svitolina, Safarova, Kuzzy, Halep just to get to the semis. But the two-headed beast is in the other half so I think she is still an almost fav in her half. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybadger44 View Post
Yeah, almost no easy opponents for her, but against all of these (except Halep) she is big favorite imho, the way she is playing at the moment. I think it will come down to her or Halep, winning the bottom half of the draw, especially now with Li Na out of the competition.
Have you ever noticed how much Kuznetsova looks like a man? She definitely poses the biggest threat to Ana.

hbj...lighten up on that, we're always free to say things like "lovely" ana

so why not "best one-day crazy sex slave imaginable" alize...

"party interrogator" jelena, "truck driver" kuznetsova...

"er...sorry this is junior-varsity GIRL's tennis" Carla

"terrible shame about the face...maybe if we dress her like a skinny hooker" mona...

you get the idea...

make no mistake, this is sport, but it's far more the "entertanment" industry...any buzz/jokes about you--positive AND negative--is to be cultivated...all the top 30-broads have full-time publicists, many who actively inject mystique- and intrigue-laden rumours into the chatter of their charge...to keep the interest-ball rolling...

if you're in "show business" the only thing worse than reading something negative about yourself in the gossip mill is reading NOTHING

so, let's enjoy the non-tennis or entertainment part of the "sports entertainment" that is WTA

if it was ONLY about the tennis...be honest, typical top-tier hi-school boys' tennis is of a comparable quality...college men's tennis infinitely better...

the fact that these players are of the opposite sex is the only gimmick/business angle in play here

if it were only about the tennis, nobody'd actually PAY to watch female-branded tennis...well, that's an exaggeration...it'd be as popular relative to men's tennis as professional women's basketball or hockey or soccer is in
relation to the REAL top-tier versions of the sport

but tennis being individual, rather than team...can play up the sexual-attractiveness (or lack thereof, as the above poster was doing with Kuznetsova) and wind up the rumour mill MUCH more effectively than compared to say the WNBA...

if you were a publicity agent...would you rather have the number 14 female tennis player in the world...or the 14th best female athelete in ANY OTHER sport...

do you think Nadal loses any sleep cuz people the world over call him some version of "AssPicker" and we all feel free (and are, in fact, encouraged) to say whatever absolutely-ignorant thing we want to about WawrinkaInc's personal life

so, no need to soften the verbal blows toward the other gender

_______

ALL THAT BEING SAID, HBJ does make a valid point in that his thread is not the best place for these sorts of extra-curricular observations...

so, i'm thinking of spinning this off into a new thread...where people can add their own "nicknames" and ridicule to the players they love to love and love to hate...

sorry, HBJ...say the word and I can edit this "word blizzard" down into a simple "never mind"
Last edited by fitguy67; 05-27-14 at 03:26 PM.
Give Points

Points Awarded:

Honeybadger44 gave fitguy67 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nope, no need to edit. Very interesting post/article, with few quite brilliant points there.

Also, I didn't mind ManOnFire's post, above. I just didn't understand the connection between Kuznetsova looking like a man and that making her the biggest threat to Ana on the way to finals... That's all

PS. Part where I don't agree with you and those nicknames, is where you put Alize as "best one-day crazy sex slave"

Li Na is still offered to win RG @BM for +600 , Halep is also at +600, while Ana is down to +1200. We'll see. Halep is definitely good but I am hoping her lack of experience will work against her during the later rounds. Plus, she really has no game right now to bother Serena, or even Sharapova, in the final. As for Kuzzy, yeah she is good not a bit too erratic right now. Also, fitguy I find top-30 women's tennis more entertaining than men's. My only problem is that they should be made to play five-setters if they want equal pay at GSs.

i agree FULLY...compare WNBA to NBA
or Australian Netball (a quite-popular W-only pro-sport not too different from basketball...to the M-only NBL basketball)...both reported on pretty-well the same page in the sports section of the daily newspaper...

outside of tennis...there is far from wage-parity...simply put, this more fairly reflects actual $-pulling value of top-tier female vs top-tier male atheletes doing same/similar "job"

tennis the only sport with wage parity, and it was originally for contrived "political" non-market reasons...if my daughter is going to be #14 in the world in ANYTHING...lord let it be tennis!

AND frugal gambler is 100% right as well...even if you accept equal prize money at ATP vs WTA 3-set events as it is now...it should NOT apply at GS events...unless they make the broads do EQUAL WORK = 5-sets

Quote Originally Posted by frugalgambler View Post
...they should be made to play five-setters if they want equal pay at GSs.
^^^

obvious flip-side to that is that, under the current format of 3-set matches for women at GS (where the men must play 5-sets matches)...their prize money should be capped at 60% of the corresponding men's prize...
Last edited by fitguy67; 05-28-14 at 08:19 AM.

Townsend/Suarez Navarro over 20 @1.84 Pinnacle - 2 units
After eliminating Cornet, opponents will get more aware of the danger, which Townsend can produce, with her heavy hitting. But, considering how unconvincing was CSN, against oppents like Beygelzimer and Basczinsky in first two rounds, I think she is not in great form at the moment and Townsend can push this one into over.

Berdych -4 @1.99 Pinnacle - 2 units
People are all over Bautista, probably because of the positive record, which he ahs against Berdych. But I still feel like this line is too low. Berdych is a top caliber player and has every chance to cover this line in best of 5 match.

Schmiedlova +4,5 @1.93 Pinnacle - 2 units
Always like to fade a young player, after a big, emotional win. After such a great win, I don't believe that Muguruza's focus is at 100% for this match. Schmiedlova could take adventage of that.

Isner +3 @1.96 Pinnacle - 2 units
I don't think that Roberedo likes to play against big servers. He can only work his clay court magic, if he can draw his opponents into long exchange rallies. That is very difficult to do against Isner. Possible 5 setter.

Granollers +5 @1.87 Pinnacle - 2 units
I don't see Klizan as such a big favorite. After that huge win against Nishikori, he played 5 setter against Haase and showed that he is not in that incredible form after all. Granollers is very tricky player to play against on clay and I see this one much closer, then line is suggesting.

Kerber -4,5 @1.85 Pinnacle - 3 units
Hantuchova is all about her shot making abilities. In such heavy and slow conditions, it is really difficult to beat player like Kerber, just with that. Angelique will get majority of the shots back in play and she should dominate the rallies.

What's up HB?? My man, good shit you throw out there bud. Thank you

I couldn't agree with any of the women stuff, it's just hard for me to trust the women, but the Isner play was spot on!!

I agreed with the Berdych as well, spot on!! Sweating out the Granollers now, but he got the break in the second set early, VAMOS!!

Got a little something also on the Kerber ML to round out a +850 parlay, lol!! Had Cilic +8.5, Over Isner, Granollers +4.5, Kerber ML, wish me luck buddy

I hope all is well, just wanted to drop in to say thanks for the help & keep up the good work!!!

Hey, Money! I am glad you decided to stop by

I struggled quite a bit in past couple of weeks. Didn't have a great start of RG. But, I had a nice one today. I am really happy that you managed to make some money with those picks. That parlay looks amazing. You only need couple more games from our guy Granollers tommorow, and you can start counting the money. Really nice job