Login Search

EP36's Fuzzy Tennis Balls

Last Post

EP, guys are quitting in this heat (surprise surprise), wussy tennis players dropping sets and then entire matches because it is a little bit hot (though I think Ferrer was also hurt). The unders were almost all good today in matches that went 4 sets. I wouldn't take any overs at this point. Guys get broken once and give up on the set (except say a Robredo or Murray). But a guy like Stan, he will throw a set at the first sign of trouble. He has done it again and again. Unless you think that match is going 5 I would not trust the over. And if you do see it going 5 then why not take Robredo at + money?
"It's better to look good than to play good" Lopez is another wuss, and I knew he'd quit in this heat but bet him anyway. Nish might be another guy who can't handle the heat tomorrow, though his game matches up with Raonic. I don't trust Murray's serve and yet he was on his way to beating Tsonga a few weeks ago (as good as Tsonga was playing) when he completely crumbled.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
9.1.14 US Open
ATP: Kohlschreiber +7.5 @ -105
ATP: Murray @ -138
ATP: Wawrinka-Robredo Over 40 @ +100
Kohl looked like shit vs Isner. Isner had 40-15 on kohls serve multiple times, but like the idiot he is, couldn't convert anything. Djoker looks like he has a Vandegwehe out for every player this tournament. I see a dusting here. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1216 View Post
Kohl looked like shit vs Isner. Isner had 40-15 on kohls serve multiple times, but like the idiot he is, couldn't convert anything. Djoker looks like he has a Vandegwehe out for every player this tournament. I see a dusting here. Good luck.
I didn't think he looked bad. I watched the whole match. He had some service games where he had to dig out of a hole, so did Isner. Game plan will be entirely different against Djokovic. Kohlschreiber knew exactly what he could get away with against Isner. He's proven more often than not that he can at least hang with Djokovic. With the humidity + heat, who knows who it will effect either. Djokovic has certainly not been immune to letting conditions hurt him.

It's not really the heat, it's the humidity. 86-87 degrees is not that hot relatively speaking. If you watched any of the matches after the rain though, most of the players were sweating profusely ... it's the humidity that players either handle or can't.

It's not really the heat, it's the humidity. 86-87 degrees is not that hot relatively speaking. If you watched any of the matches after the rain though, most of the players were sweating profusely ... it's the humidity that players either handle or can't.
the long delay and humidity screwed up all my plays yesterday. Lopez was up before the delay. Janko and Safarova visibly not right.
Gasquet looking like he walked out of a swimming pool. Also the crowd is obnoxious. Janko was serving within 1 or 2 pts of winning first set and some chooch from the crowd yells "let's go Belinda" when her ball is in the air to strike the serve. Sickening. there's my rant.

Actually Lopez had already blown his break before the rain delay. I just don't think he was all that interested from the get-go. Thiem didn't really have to do anything but hold his serve.

I think Jankovic just showed the old Jankovic. Before her recent fairly hot streak, that wasn't all that different from the Jankovic of the past year or so. Mental midget, weak serve. I don't know that she looked that off from what I am used too - but fair enough that I have not seen a lot of her lately, so maybe you're correct on her being effected more.

Gasquet was really the one I noticed. I think if he was playing anyone outside of his own countryman, he would have quit.

Quote Originally Posted by poet View Post
Yes EP, heat and humidity, but that still doesn't answer the question. After yesterday, do you trust betting overs (for total games played on the men's side) in these conditions?
The problem with saying that it's hot and humid, so players are going to quit - we don't know that. Sure, some have a poor track record, but I think as I said before one of the matches yesterday - players could just as easily just roll on-serve as players conserve energy until deeper into sets. Also factor in that all players had yesterday as a gauge for conditions. Most likely practiced in the conditions some at-minimum. Certainly not the same as playing 4-5 sets, but practicing an hour in those conditions can make a difference as to how players will react.

Basically, I'm going with however I feel the match will unfold for totals. If the sets go blowout, so be it - but you can't just assume that will be the case IMO.

If the conditions are the same tomorrow, I'll look to bet the under in the men's matches. Today's matches are a bit tricky because we got some fighters (Robredo, Milos) but tomorrows lineup of wusses seems more promising. I do like the Djoker match to go over today but not sure about any of the rest. I can see Nish, Tsonga,and Stan wilting under these conditions.

Actually Lopez had already blown his break before the rain delay. I just don't think he was all that interested from the get-go. Thiem didn't really have to do anything but hold his serve.

I think Jankovic just showed the old Jankovic. Before her recent fairly hot streak, that wasn't all that different from the Jankovic of the past year or so. Mental midget, weak serve. I don't know that she looked that off from what I am used too - but fair enough that I have not seen a lot of her lately, so maybe you're correct on her being effected more.

Gasquet was really the one I noticed. I think if he was playing anyone outside of his own countryman, he would have quit.
I didn't see the Lopez match but it was interrupted at 3-3 first set. Lopez was up 3-0 before the rain started to creep in. After the delay he just collapsed. Janko I agree isn't that great but should have won and looked affected, constantly wiping her face with towel.
Anyway what do you think about going with Peng at -125 to be the one who finally puts away this
17 year old Bencic ? I like it. Also Berdych over Thiem but waiting on the game line.

Peng has been really solid this tournament, so that's probably not a bad bet. Bencic definitely served better than Jankovic yesterday, but there were still a lot of errors and breaks and chances that she could have easily been undone. Testament to her for not folding. Bencic I think gets the lower price for the names she beat, but I think Peng's win over Radwanska is already kind of forgotten. That was impressive.

Kohlschreiber unfortunately started off terribly in the 1st and pretty much blew the games spread. 2nd set much better and what I was hoping would happen for three sets even if he lost in straights. But that's the way the ball bounces. Still think he could take a set if he can keep playing and serving more of what he has done in the 2nd. Djokovic has given him a couple of break chances.