Login Search

EP36's Fuzzy Tennis Balls

Last Post

0.5 unit on Sela. Certainly it is a bad match-up for Sela against power servers, but I always hedge at the end. You never know when a guy could roll his ankle or wake up with food poisoning. The hedge guaranteed around the same amount of profit no matter the winner, slightly better if Isner wins. It was kind of a "duh" futures take this week by me and Anderson tossed off early, but Isner has played to win here every year so it made a lot of sense.

ATP Washington D.C. Mini-View
The top eight seeds are Berdych, Raonic, Dimitrov, Nishikori, Atlanta Champion John Isner, Gasquet, Anderson and Feliciano Lopez. Among those seeds, it is Isner who has the most experience with a 19-6 mark in this tournament.

Seeds 1st Up
In the last three years this field was at 64 players, at least four of the top 16 seeds lost their 1st matches. Study the match-ups and take some shot.

Qualifiers & Wild Cards
Qualifiers are 10-8 when not facing another qualifier in the first round. Wild cards are just 5-7 over the last four years.

Prone Seeds
#4 Kei Nishikori
Nishikori is not a quick starter post-Wimbledon. A potential 1st opponent could be Sam Querrey who is 3-1 against Nishikori.

#6 Richard Gasquet
Gasquet will face either Atlanta runner-up Dudi Sela or Julien Benneteau. Seeing as Sela comes off a long week and is staring an 0-4 hole against Benneteau all-time, it could be Frenchman vs. Frenchman. Gasquet generally does not get off to a quick start in this portion of the season.

#10 Santiago Giraldo
Kavcic or Becker will be his 1st opponent. Both have some reasonably good form. Giraldo has never won in the main draw in D.C.

#16 Yen-Hsun Lu
Lu is just 1-3 in DC all-time. Lacko or Peliwo would be his 1st-up.

#14 Lleyton Hewitt
It's Matosevic or Marchenko. Matosevic could be the tougher out as he seems better suited to hard courts.

Futures Watch
Isner +1200
Berdych +450

My honest opinion this week is that this is one of the tougher draws to predict in recent memory. I'd go small on all futures plays.
Give Points

Points Awarded:

faststeady gave EaglesPhan36 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.