Login Search

EP36's Fuzzy Tennis Balls

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
Tommy Haas is out in Halle. Getting close to time that Haas calls it a career. Great story the last couple years, but his body is telling him it's about closing time.
that sucks. only started following tennis last few years but i liked haas. would have liked to be following when he was really good. was he ever really good?

He was a solid all-court player. Made a couple Slam semis and I think made at least the quarters in all four Slams at some point. His story is really amazing if you read about him. He took off an entire year in 2002 when he was ranked #2 to take care of his parents who got injured in an accident. That was supposedly the first time he injured his shoulder. I don't know if that is tied to his current problem or not. Guy had more comebacks to form than I can remember from most. I think most of all, he's been a professional and dedicated player with a sweet backhand.

Quote Originally Posted by zec View Post
Probably the greatest player to have never played in a Grand Slam final. I can't think of a better one.
Tim Henman maybe.

It's interesting that even with the domination of the "big 4" in grand slams pretty much every other long term resident top 10 player has still made at least a slam final - Del Potro and Wawrinka as GS winners, Ferrer, Berdych and Tsonga as finalists. I guess that leaves Gasquet as the best credentialled current player to challenge Haas, save for the up and coming guys with time on their side.