Login Search

THREADS! MOOOOOOAR THREEEEEEADS! My Fourth Pickin'-Thread <3

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by kenz View Post
JSC

Watch the game before writing an essay

Ok,You seem to insist on being a genius sharp, then so be it ...

Next time just read the "essay"

"mybe some of the guys didnt watch the game,but I did"

Face it.

Na Li played bad and not close to what you thought as soon as you have placed your bet.

This game was not even close to "fix",sorry for your lost,really,but you just bluffing yourself..

I am not a genius sharp and No it was a fix. I knew where Li would hit her overheads on the net (where Errani stands) and how respond to the return ( somehow throw to out). It was obvious the times she would get broken too. I cant write enough words for this. Anyway it is history, I put the game behind. I just reply when someone says it is a not a fix, cant help with it. Now move on JSH
Last edited by kenz; 05-17-14 at 06:16 AM.

I am not a genius sharp and No it was a fix. Now move on JSH
Tough guy!!!

I am not a genius sharp and No it was a fix. I knew where Li would hit her overheads on the net (where Errani stands) and how respond to the return ( somehow throw to out). It was obvious the times she would get broken too. I cant write enough words for this. Anyway it is history, I put the game behind. I just reply when someone says it is a not a fix, cant help with it. Now move on JSH
Considering that you edited your childhood post,I just can say i get your point +-, and the reason you post this here,so like you say,I move on, but for your resume on this forum, that you cultivate by hard working , you should know that this excuse like "fix" sounds silly and indicates a lot about a person. However, I wish you only success.
Last edited by JustSomeCash; 05-17-14 at 06:27 AM.

as to the ubiquity of all manner of non-textbook/un-"professional" behavior, look at the book Freakonomics...proves that it's commonplace, not just among atheletes (great early chapter on Sumo-wrestling), but teachers, real-estate agents etc. etc...all kinds of motivations/reasons/rationalizations/excuses why people, even (especially??) the rich (who we think need not resort to it) constantly bend the rules--while propogating the myth that the ethics of their profession mean they would NEVER do so...

sports used to be all about fair competion (you know...what the word "sport" means)...now it's increasingly marketed AND produced as part of the "entertainment" industry...

nowhere is this more apparent than in NBA where, as HBJ pointed out--teams can't be trying to win "tooth and nail" if they regularly turn off something they'd constantly be attending to...defence...if winning/competition REALLY was the highest priority. Instead, they spend most of there time in "razzle dazzle" mode. It's obvious that there is a collective responsibility of the league to "entertain" us, to keep us lapping up the full spectrum of their "product". So they actively cultivate "story arcs" and "good guy/bad guy" angles are constantly being doled out to/thru the media.

But NBA goes way beyond this in annoyance...and here it's joined with that other most-American of sports, NFL...to become increasingly "contentious/disputational/knit-picky", increasingly reliant on the video-review of the game in progress...sacrificing all natural "flow" that is still enjoyed in hockey/rugby/soccer...and replacing it with an annoying succession of play stoppages, ostensibly to "ensure we get the call right" ...AND of course, to just have television commercials that are sold out just as space in magazines...

oh yeah...the knit-picky/contentious/legalistic nature of it all is magnified constantly with "new rules" (always with some apparently-positive motivation such as to "protect the players", and my favorite "to speed the game up" ) that almost never accomplish the stated objective, but ALWAYS make it harder to officiate...and the games are hard enough to officiate already (the line between an "offensive foul"=charge/"defensive foul"/"no whistle" ON THE SAME PLAY in basketball is extremely fine...and, in "foot"ball, the continually evolving rules of what constitutes the crucial call of "pass interference" would overwhelm a law professor)...the officials' role in determining who ultimately is declared the winner in a contest is increasing greatly in importance and fans of the "sport" spend increasingly more time criticizing the officiating than the play itself

(hmmmm....you know how in WWEntertaiment, the referee never sees the folded chair or the concealed weapon...and how their apparent mistake leads to an "unfair result" that we want to see corrected in the next game/even...that we're willing to pay more for...)

Marillion, i remember you saying once how in soccer, "playing up to" the referees for cards/penalties is ruining the game (and i agree)...in American team sports the problem is the whole "sports entertainment industry"(including, of course, the media who present it to the public)...is relentlessly "playing down to" society's need to be entertained/willingness to pay for it...and taking the very sport out of sport in the process...entertaining us with sport skill, yes, but increasingly with contrived controversy...to keep backers/bettors bitching and bickering (while buying more tickets) while the entertainers and producers laugh all the way to the bank...nowhere do i see this whole process come into play more blatantly and annoyingly than in the final few minutes of an NBE (that's not a typo!) game
Last edited by fitguy67; 05-17-14 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fitguy67 View Post
sports used to be all about fair competion (you know...what the word "sport" means)...now it's increasingly marketed AND produced as part of the "entertainment" industry...
Thanks both honeybadger and fitguy for the reply... In that "The Fix" book, there were some interesting details (and they were just roughly based on detailed descriptions stated in other books/research papers from the Oxford university library) about fixed games (soccer but also some baseball game, I think it was a final in the USA or something like that) that were decades ago. The baseball game was in the 1910s, I think. Funny thing is both we (more avid bettors/sport followers) and more "casual" fans/public have to at least some extent that notion of "sports used to be about fairness, now the entertainment industry/betting mafia has ruined them" but fixes seem to have a long history.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcoar View Post
I'm not convinced enough to play anything on that match at this time. Good luck with your bets though!
Scoreline doesn't show it, but Serena struggled a little bit with Zhang. These courts are not helping Serena's serve, and she's been spraying a lot of balls. Ivanovic and the over has some value to me.