Login Search

Join Hexversi Tourney #8 by Dec 12th. Win up to 2500+ Pts SPECIAL Section for Newbies

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by las8 View Post
Thanks for doing that for me John! I was actually thinking of playing a7 instead after k2. I am not sure how that would have played out but I am definitely going to look up parity. Thanks again!
Looking like you are in a good position to take your section!!
1-1 with Remo he is a good player I think!
Saw you beat Joshua both games!!
GL on the 2 in progress with joook

Thanks JP

And yeah, GL to Las8, hoping to see you advance. I actually regret not picking you to win your group. I just remembered thinking joook was pretty good back when I started. But thanks to John the SBR boys have learned pretty fast while maybe some of the old school players have stayed at the same level
Give Points

Points Awarded:

jackpot269 gave blankoblanco 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Quote Originally Posted by blankoblanco View Post
Thanks JP

And yeah, GL to Las8, hoping to see you advance. I actually regret not picking you to win your group. I just remembered thinking joook was pretty good back when I started. But thanks to John the SBR boys have learned pretty fast while maybe some of the old school players have stayed at the same level
I thought I had a slim chance to take my section, In one of my games with Toptal I was in good shape then I've made 2 moves today and that game don't look good now, not sure where the tide turned but im going to go back thru the whole thing 2morrow, in our other game, I knew he had upper hand but thought maybe he would make a mistake!! I won both against robert s and I've got Finelinegamefarm beat in game #2. So its my best showing so far either way!!

Section #7
Player's Name Score Games
com
pleted
Avg score
per game
cmpltd
§Finelinegamefarm 6 3 2.00
§Jackpot269 4 3 1.33
Toptal 0 0 0.00
§robert sawyers 0 4 0.00
Give Points

Points Awarded:

blankoblanco gave jackpot269 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JohnGalt2341 gave jackpot269 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ITS HARD TO BELIEVE, BUT THIS MONTH IS A YEAR FOR ME PLAYING AT ITSYOURTURN!
Sorry I had caps on!!! I wasn't typing it again!! I still got a chance, the other guy could beat Toptal twice and maybe, I can still beat him one. I made a move 2 days ago and I thought after he made his next move I would claim a corner, and somehow, I looked at it wrong or missed it when it was my turn again!!!

Thanks buddy!!

Thanks JP

I don't blame you honestly. I looked at his history and he does look like a good player but I am most likely picking myself unless I am matched against someone I have never beat. It took me three games to beat Joshua but I have his number now. I should have swept REMO as well. I am pretty sure if I picked jook rather than myself I probably wouldn't have had as many votes. It looks like REMO has him in one game and I should have him in at least one. At least I am guaranteed to get out of the first round this time, I believe, if I get one of these. I am still disappointed in myself last tournament. I still need to beat Scott Sitar.

Yeah man, I was rooting for you as well! But I know Toptal is one of the best Hexversi players on the site, so that's a very tough match for sure. It took me over a year before I learned to beat him
I've got findline beat in the 2nd game, I waiting on him now he has no move, and he didn't have one his last turn either! only 4 moves left!
Then he and I will be tied and it will all ride on his two games with Toptal and mine to see who moves on!!!!
Last edited by jackpot269; 01-10-23 at 12:32 AM.

Wow, ethmah took a game off of shimgar, props to him
Indeed! Also, in case you guys didn't know, after ethmah01 timed-out late in the 2nd Round of the last Tourney, as soon as he timed-out, it automatically advanced Toptal to the 3rd Round(Finals). But ethmah was able to reinstate the games with Toptal and he swept Toptal, but he didn't get the chance to play in the Finals, so he invited blanko to a private match. blanko swept him in the private match and he splits his games with Ivan Gutorov . So, blanko is indeed the true Tournament Champion of the last Tournament!!

I think the reason shimgar(David Hand) didn't play in the last Tournament was because it was going to overlap with the World Othello Championships in Paris where he tied for 13th place out of 88 players. And from what I understand, I think he was sort of disappointed with his performance as I think he has placed in the top 10 on at least 1 occasion. mmariomm told me David is easily one of the top 5 best Othello players in all of Europe. And mario himself, is the #1 rated Othello player in Spain.

shimgar's legit Hexversi record right now is 41-2. With his only losses being to a private game with Ivan Gutorov, and now the Tournament game to ethmah01. I just want to point something out here where he made a mistake in a game vs ethmah. He ended up winning this game, but had ethmah played this differently, I think ethmah could have possibly swept him.

I wanted to point out this mistake here in this game. shimgar is Purple. shimgar played c4 here. I think I've told you guys this before, if you are the FIRST player to play a side, and you are touching one of your own pieces when you put your piece on the board(like Purple is here), it ALMOST ALWAYS means you are playing the side incorrectly. Because it means you can be forced into an Unbalanced Edge. But in this case, it's MUCH MUCH worse than that. Because by Purple playing c4, now Green can play b5 and DELIBERATELY give up the SW corner, and if Purple takes the SW corner, Green can wedge in at a7. Green will then get the Western corner at a11.

So here's how it looked a few moves later. Now Green can pull the trigger on either a7 or b5 because of that mistake above at c4. Green played a7 here. I would have played b5 myself, because if you get the Western corner, you could work from it a bit. And if he doesn't take the bait, Green could just take the SE corner. And then Purple would be forced to move again.

Anyway, shimgar is definitely not unbeatable. Maybe he's just rusty.

Btw Great job guys!!! I think this is the most SBR players we're ever had advancing to the 2nd Round!! Getting at least 2 in the Finals would be Awesome!!

I think I'm going to be going over some games in the next couple of weeks or so, getting ready for the 2nd Round. If anyone has any games or particular moves you want me to take a look at, feel free to let me know!

Great job guys!!

Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 01-09-23 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
I wanted to point out this mistake here in this game. shimgar is Purple. shimgar played c4 here. I think I've told you guys this before, if you are the FIRST player to play a side, and you are touching one of your own pieces when you put your piece on the board(like Purple is here), it ALMOST ALWAYS means you are playing the side incorrectly. Because it means you can be forced into an Unbalanced Edge. But in this case, it's MUCH MUCH worse than that. Because by Purple playing c4, now Green can play b5 and DELIBERATELY give up the SW corner, and if Purple takes the SW corner, Green can wedge in at a7. Green will then get the Western corner at a11
One thing I noticed in looking over some of shimgar's games is that he's very willing to make unbalanced edges, but it seems like he's usually able to recognize situations where the opponent can't really take advantage? Or maybe I (and his opponent) just didn't see how to take advantage. But it's pretty interesting

You're definitely right that this one was punishable. Might be something to keep in mind when facing him. I assume this is where some of the differences between Hexversi and regular Reversi come into play

One thing I noticed in looking over some of shimgar's games is that he's very willing to make unbalanced edges, but it seems like he's usually able to recognize situations where the opponent can't really take advantage? Or maybe I (and his opponent) just didn't see how to take advantage. But it's pretty interesting

You're definitely right that this one was punishable. Might be something to keep in mind when facing him. I assume this is where some of the differences between Hexversi and regular Reversi come into play
Yeah, I've noticed that as well. In some of his games, I feel like I could have probably beat him if he made those same types of plays against me. And I'm always hoping that I will end up in similar situations against him. But I'm usually thinking... "How come he's not making those same types of mistakes against me?"

I think the mystique is gone now anyhow at least, now that ethmah01 beat him in Tournament play, and nearly swept him for that matter. Especially considering you just swept ethmah.

You might not have seen in your green game that jook could take k1 (the east corner) before you could? Which he rightly did. I didn't look super closely or go through all the future moves, but to me it looks pretty tough from there. Definitely a close game though, and rooting for you still!
Last edited by blankoblanco; 01-20-23 at 09:26 AM.

Nothing to feel bad about Las, you've progressed quickly and are clearly already good enough to beat winning tournament players, most of whom have been playing for several years. If you stick with it I think you'll have a breakout performance soon enough!
Give Points

Points Awarded:

las8 gave blankoblanco 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.