Login Search

Fly Me #3 "The Resurrection" Sports Talk,Good Tunes,Great Times, Anything Goes

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by PittsburghPlayer View Post
KVB, I don`t watch that shit/drink the kool aid.
All I wrote was that I did not see his last game and that the last 3 min was amazing.
He was dog tired and made a bunch of shots.
I know the shit is scripted.
Peace Bro
Ppl alwys say this and not saying I dont believe it but you still gotta make the shots no? lol

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post

I disagree completely. Kobe's last game was a typical disgrace to the NBA. Every player from both teams and the refs did everything they could to make sure Kobe got the highest game total of the season (beating Anthony Davis by one point).

Kobe fouled like crazy and there was no defense against him, at all; and if I remember he took a ton of shots just to get there.

Don't get me wrong, Kobe ran his ass off, but with everyone helping him all night, he still barely got there...it wasn't competitive.

Seems like everyone drank the Kool Aid on that one. It was a laughable night to those who understand the NBA. Everyone else was entertained and called it "amazing."

impressed he made those shots to end the game. nba regular season is a scrimmage anyway, who cares if the lakers were bear hugging kobes defenders. dude is a shooter mcgavin

18: Contested shots made by Bryant. The now-retiree hit 18-of-40 with a defender within 3.5 feet, which was even better than his 4-of-10 clip on open looks.

50: Shots taken by Bryant, the most in at least 33 years. The previous record during this span was held by Michael Jordan, who put up 49 in a loss to Orlando on Jan. 16, 1993. Bryant took 15 more shots than the rest of his teammates combined.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectGrape View Post
Stats shmatz.

Just watch the final inbound at about 4 minutes in that vid...it says it all to me. It was that inbound and foul that gave him his final points to get the highest of the season.

Reminds me of the time Favre laid down to give Strahan the sack record. Like I said above...it wasn't competitive.

As far as the NBA players and their job (having to make or miss shots), well, NBA players making shots does not impress me, not ever (well MJ had a few), no matter how many or from what distance or whether or not it's defended. (Actually, Ray Allen sunk a buzzer beater in the playoffs once that was impressive.)

Do they still have to make the shot? In Kobe's case NO, he just took another shot.

And when it counted, when time was running out, the refs put him on the line. Did he have to make those? Of course not...there was still time left...lol.

Ok enough about that. Sorry for taking so long on what is really just normal sports. I just always get a kick out of Kobe's last game...lol. Watch the 4 minute mark again. When Kobe makes the 2nd free throw the announcer acts like it was such a big deal to reach 60...lol.

KVB did you ever play the game of basketball? I don't mean that in a negative way but scoring like that is pretty impressive to me. I once put up 40 and that was at a young age against inferior opponents, can't imagine dropping 60 on a much larger stage. As far as Kobe's history and everything I can understand not liking him as a person but that was a pretty cool retirement game imho.

I played a little basketball, in a rec league in college I got elbowed in the nose and went on to set the single game record for 3 pointers made in that league..lol. I showed that guy...lol. Just some rec league accomplishment, but the most I ever really did in organized ball.

I have nothing against Kobe as a person, I don't really know him (I don't approve of his cheating on the wife, of course). All I really know is about his "character" as an NBA player.

When you put up 40 against inferior opponents, did every player on the court (both teams) and the both coaches let you do it? How about the refs as well? Did they agree that you would get 40 and no matter what you would get there?

The NBA is what it is and players develop opportunities within season and games. Sometimes they fail and the league moves on to the next. Sometimes they succeed and seem larger than life (because most don't see the opportunity first given).

Kobe failed, but was allowed to continue for his final game.

In my opinion, it just wasn't professional. I expect better from NBA players, including the best players, and the league.

Kobe had an off night that night, it showed, and the participants got desperate to perform. That's how I saw that game.

Takes nothing away from what Kobe and his talent did with his opportunity in his career (after all, his natural talent helped get him that opportunity).

When Anthony Davis scored 59 that year, it was much more professional all around...to me a better accomplishment.

I never played organized golf but have fired off many rounds in my day...they all sucked.

That said, I know more about how the professional golf tour "works" than my brother-in-law who qualified for and played in the US Open.

Crazy, I know, but that's sports in our Western Empire.

Posting this vid again because of Jon Gutwillig, amazing to watch...

KVB very eloquent responses.

Funny thing is I haven't thought about this in years until this Kobe post of yours. I remember we were down a point with not much time left 5-6 secs and we designed an isolation play against coach. He was roughly 10 years my senior and the best player on the other team. I hadn't been stopped all game, double digit rebounds, steals, assists, 40 some points anyway I took it to the hole and when I pulled up he decided to flop and the ref blew the whistle against me (very minimal contact). Shot still went in iirc and obviously still irrelevant and we lost the game. I wasn't angry at the ref though and I wouldn't have felt really any better or worse today even if it had gone my way. It wouldn't have made me money or made me more popular in school it was just a recreational church league. I just played my best.

If the ref had told me prior to that game that he was going to make sure I had the best chance to succeed and to just go out and be free, then who knows the heights I might've reached or the goals I could've accomplished. Instead we live in a world where people want to watch you fail, people want to see you struggle, people want to maintain power, and people want to maintain control. What the ref should've done after that game is told me why he made that call and that he appreciated my efforts and my talent regardless of the outcome.

The part of it all that I do regret is that I made memories there and due to my lack of appreciation for the education that was in front of me (I liked sports of any kind immensely more than books) and also partly due to a terrible home life, I walked away from those memories and made new ones. I did my best everywhere I went but having to reprove oneself to new audiences over and over again is unrealistic.

It's one thing I can appreciate about Kobe Bryant is that he stayed a Laker, and even through the good and bad the fans there supported him for his talents on the court. If he went 2-30 FG's in the final game what would that matter? Would it have made non Laker fans happy to see him leave the court in that manner? He has poured blood sweat and tears into the league and others that have/are playing the game should respect that. Two decades!! I hope the refs and the kings did tell him prior to that game that they would help him succeed in anyway possible and to play free because when it's there turn they would want the same treatment.

Anthony Davis is a young gun and the Pelicano's need something to make headlines. I am not saying it wasn't a more impressive performance and I know people see the game differently but AD still has a road ahead and youth on his side.

I am not even a Laker fan, my favorite player was Charles Barkley (Knick slayer Melo now) but I still thought the performance was amazing. I hate the Blue Jays but I thought their performance against Rangers was amazing as well. Nothing like being a fan watching 40 bluejay homeruns in the series, fukkn sucked watching that but I still love MLB.

I respect your view KVB and we will just have to agree to disagree here.
Give Points

Points Awarded:

KVB gave Ra77er 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.