Login Search

Stock Market Discussion -- started 03/06/2018 -- updated daily !!!

Last Post

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRocks View Post
The U.S. economy slowed to a moderate 2.3% annual growth rate in the first quarter..What's more concerning is that the consumer spending turned in the weakiest performance in nearly 5 years.....Many reports are saying Trumps tax cuts are not reaching the crowd that spends money. No surprise their...
There*

The U.S. economy slowed to a moderate 2.3% annual growth rate in the first quarter..What's more concerning is that the consumer spending turned in the weakiest performance in nearly 5 years.....Many reports are saying Trumps tax cuts are not reaching the crowd that spends money. No surprise their...
Post the article you are referencing.

This report is much stronger than everyone was looking for. Barclays was at 1.5%. They noted 3 major storms slowed the economy.

This GDP has everyone scrambling to raise their estimates. Even the CBO who estimated a paltry 2% last year is raising its forecast to 3.2%.

We are on track for GDP AND wages to grow in the 3.5% to 3.8% range. More than double Obama's and will bring in far more tax revenue than originally predicted.

middle class drives the economy through spending, no question about it

I don't think the tax cuts are why people are not spending last quarter. Historically, spending slows down in the 1st quarter because people are paying off Christmas bills and saving for tax season.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyBacon View Post
Post the article you are referencing.

This report is much stronger than everyone was looking for. Barclays was at 1.5%. They noted 3 major storms slowed the economy.

This GDP has everyone scrambling to raise their estimates. Even the CBO who estimated a paltry 2% last year is raising its forecast to 3.2%.

We are on track for GDP AND wages to grow in the 3.5% to 3.8% range. More than double Obama's and will bring in far more tax revenue than originally predicted.
Yahoo Finance. Simillar reports at CNBC, FBC, MarketWatch etc...Yes, some had predicted a lower GDP, however, none predicted to weakness in specding...Not good going forward..

Quote Originally Posted by A4K View Post
I don't think the tax cuts are why people are not spending last quarter. Historically, spending slows down in the 1st quarter because people are paying off Christmas bills and saving for tax season.
Economist were thinking spending would pick up because of all the Corporate Bonuses given out...

Yahoo Finance. Simillar reports at CNBC, FBC, MarketWatch etc...Yes, some had predicted a lower GDP, however, none predicted to weakness in specding...Not good going forward..
People reading far too much into 1st quarter numbers. Until major players start whiffing on earnings or the treasury yields really climb I am not worried about 2018.

LOL ok. Just so you know you don't post a 2.3% 1st qtr number and have any concerning weakness. If anything, folks are worried about growing too fast. I think that is a libtard spin which is always different than reality these days.

"overheated" economy ie growing "too fast" is a much bigger concern right now than lowered consumer spending IMO. people are spending money like crazy right now, especially on houses! CC debt creeping back up to record levels. we will have to pay the piper on this in the coming years as another recession within 2-3Y is a virtual certainty, but right now it is Go Time if not for the damn geopolitical bullshittttt

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
"overheated" economy ie growing "too fast" is a much bigger concern right now than lowered consumer spending IMO. people are spending money like crazy right now, especially on houses! CC debt creeping back up to record levels. we will have to pay the piper on this in the coming years as another recession within 2-3Y is a virtual certainty, but right now it is Go Time if not for the damn geopolitical bullshittttt
I agree. However, I think 2019 is more likely or even 2020 before the piper gets paid, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
GL
we have many landmines next week with the tariff deadline of 5/1 and the fed meeting again so i am wondering if i will exit tomorrow or monday or try to see it through next week. too many big co's still have earnings to report over the next 3 weeks so i am not certain what i will do.

you??
Sorry for delayed response. Just saw this.

I am a proponent of long-term investing. I never try to sell at a market high. I am buy and hold forever.

I am not buying stocks right now other than regular retirement contributions and an employee stock purchase program. Outside of that, I am hoarding cash and waiting for the next big buying opportunity. But with that said, I am impervious to volatility.

However, for other long term investors, I believe 2018 is a good time to perform a bear market stress-test on your portfolio. Meaning: estimate your potential downside in a bear market. If it is too much for you... good time to reallocate.

If you want short-term predictions, A4K is your man.

LOL ok. Just so you know you don't post a 2.3% 1st qtr number and have any concerning weakness. If anything, folks are worried about growing too fast. I think that is a libtard spin which is always different than reality these days.
Obama handed off the ball and Trump's running with it tripping over his own feet at times.

Just so you know, i posted FACTUAL information. You may not have liked it or perhaps you have a problem with facts...Which is it Roy?...I am 80% invested in the Stock Market. I want to see the market expand over time, however, i will not sugar coat things. Keep your name calling to yourself, you may have a more diverse thread...

Just so you know, i posted FACTUAL information. You may not have liked it or perhaps you have a problem with facts...Which is it Roy?...I am 80% invested in the Stock Market. I want to see the market expand over time, however, i will not sugar coat things. Keep your name calling to yourself, you may have a more diverse thread...

I am on the other side of Roy’s opinion more often than not.

But he’s 100% correct about the number being a good one. 2.3% vs 2.0% consensus.

And like Homey said—more concerned about overheating. Interest rates!!!!