Login Search

Which PRO poker players have gone BROKE and NEVER recovered?

Last Post

Fish he is talking about well known professionals I believe. Guys who are on the poker tv shows or have played the highest stakes.. Obviously there are tons of not known professionals who went broke.

TJ Cloutier is a well known one who is now basically completely broke i think. I mean he was selling his WSOP bracelet for 3k so I have to image he is down to the bottom of the barrel.

Stuey Ungar, the consensus greatest poker player ever, died in a fleabag motel with no septum and a ravaged nasal cavity that cold barely hold up sunglasses. Despite having won an estimated $30 million during his poker career, Ungar died with no assets to his name other than the $800 found on him when his body was found 2 days after his death, likely on November 20, 1998. Friend and fellow poker player Bob Stupak took up a collection at Ungar's funeral to raise funds to pay for the services.

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
When these guys play at these tournaments on TV and win a bunch of money do they keep it all?
Alot of it goes to taxes. Then they have to pay the backers if they had any. The dealers expect a large tip, they got pissed at Joe Hachem because he didn't tip 10% or so. So if you won 2 million in a poker tournament you would expect to walk away with a million or so. Playing big tournaments in poker really isn't that much of a money maker cause you have to figure that you would only win a big one every few years or so. Traveling around and the buy ins would easily amount to 100000+ a year so if you won 2 million every 5 years you would make only 100,000 a year or so.
Give Points

Points Awarded:

pavyracer gave Waterstpub87 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.