Login Search

NBA Might Be Leaving ESPN/ABC And TNT

Last Post

Default NBA Might Be Leaving ESPN/ABC And TNT

The National Basketball Association’s exclusive media rights negotiating window with current partners Disney
and Warner Bros. Discovery
is likely to expire Monday without a new deal, according to people familiar with the matter.

Beginning next week, the NBA will be able to work on agreements for new partners to show packages of games. Amazon, Apple, YouTube TV, Comcast, NBCUniversal/Peacock and Netflix have all had preliminary conversations with the league expressing potential interest, CNBC reported last year. The exclusive negotiating window with the league’s incumbent partners officially ends Monday.

The NBA would like to bring in at least one new partner to serve as a flagship streamer, CNBC reported last year. The league wants a “robust” streaming partner that will use marketing and reach to make the games a priority on their platform, CNBC reported.

The NBA is looking to double the $24 billion it generated from its previous media rights deal with Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery by adding new partners and charging more for rights, CNBC reported last year. In 2014, during the NBA’s last negotiation, the league renewed its rights with Disney and Time Warner about five months before the end of its exclusive negotiating window. The NBA also doubled the price for its rights in that deal from its previous agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
Agreed with this guy. It’s hard to make up that number paid in ad sales. Especially with digital ruling the ad space. Still some opportunity on marquee games but the average NBA game doesn’t move the needle for business and many times you are asked to buy at minimum spends that don’t make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mjsuax13 View Post
Agreed with this guy. It’s hard to make up that number paid in ad sales. Especially with digital ruling the ad space. Still some opportunity on marquee games but the average NBA game doesn’t move the needle for business and many times you are asked to buy at minimum spends that don’t make sense.
This is true that it’s way overpriced, but one of these streamer will overpaid it. There’s not much difference among the many streamers and getting content is at an all-time high. One of these tech idiots will way overpaid it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
My daddy used to tell me the NBA playoffs used to be aired on tape delay after the 11:00 pm news back in the 60's.
I stayed up late for Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals when Magic had his big game to win the title. Game was on tape delay at 10:30pm CST. I remember the sports guy on the 10:00 local news asking you to turn around if you didn't want to see the score flashed on the screen before they played the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
I stayed up late for Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals when Magic had his big game to win the title. Game was on tape delay at 10:30pm CST. I remember the sports guy on the 10:00 local news asking you to turn around if you didn't want to see the score flashed on the screen before they played the game.
soon after I assume it was not played on tape delay?

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
before Bird, Magic, and Jordan reinvented the association. imo.
The league started to pivot when people took notice of what Dr. J was doing.
Then Magic and Bird came along and by now you know the rest of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy-Rider 66 View Post
soon after I assume it was not played on tape delay?
I believe 1981 was the last year that the Finals were on tape delay. I saw those live though because we lived in Houston and the Finals were Celtics-Rockets. The represented cities got to see the games live.

Quote Originally Posted by Headsterx View Post
This is true that it’s way overpriced, but one of these streamer will overpaid it. There’s not much difference among the many streamers and getting content is at an all-time high. One of these tech idiots will way overpaid it.
Absolutely. Amazon and Google fall over themselves for this shit. The NBA doesn’t care where their product is or even the presentation of it. They just want the check.